Author Topic: Composers Inspired By Georgia And The Caucasus  (Read 6082 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Composers Inspired By Georgia And The Caucasus
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »
A word of commendation for the wonderful symphony by Nektarios Chargeishvili (1937-1971). AFAIK it’s only available from youtube. The work dates from the late sixties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9i02ussewA

Edited for typo
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:56:11 AM by André »

Online vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 10:35:43 PM »
That's a wonderful and still too-little-known work IMHO.

A very belated +1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 01:04:09 AM »
Great tip, love everything I heard by Otar Taktakishvili thus far, will look for these 'rarities' too. My tip would be his second violin concerto, or rather for violin and chamber orchestra, found on this terrific disc (the Nasidze / Nassidse etc. spelling of Georgian namens in the Latin alphabet differ per language, this cd choosing the German forms of both 'Taktakischwili' and 'Nassidse'. 

BTW the Georgian Chamber Orchestre under Liana Issakadze (German spelling again) was living AS A WHOLE in German exile in those years, had found a new base in the town of Ingolstadt in those years. They made a couple of recordings that I always loved, a special atmosphere of their own. I think the band is still there, in Ingolstadt, though with many names replaced by now. Germany was a safe haven for many cultural refugees during the last decades of the last century, this great CD always reminding me of their fate:

I have a Melodiya LP of Liana Isakadze playing the F minor VC conducted by Taktakishvili. The R/S is the 1st PC played by Marina Mdivani. I have used spelling as Melodiya translation.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Online pjme

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:57 AM »
Dear Pjme
Thanks for you answer.I need to know before buying georgian cds ,if sound is better than awful soviet recordings.I have this cd of Rustaveli Oratorio and has good sound quality
https://www.haydnhouse.com/HH22.htm
Best

To my ears the cds I have sound perfectly good, bearing in mind that they are (possibly) all AAD and the recordings are  between 30 and 50 years old.
I cannot detect scratches, flutter, pops or crackle... Some recordings are live, so there is some applause and the eventual cough .
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:30:33 AM by pjme »

Online pjme

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:29 AM »
A word of commendation for the wonderful symphony by Neltarios Chargeishvili (1937-1971). AFAIK it’s only available from youtube. The work dates from the late sixties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9i02ussewA

Thanks for the tip. Impressive and very tumultuous work. But I will need another listen, of course.

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 04:31:13 PM »
To my ears the cds I have sound perfectly good, bearing in mind that they are (possibly) all AAD and the recordings are  between 30 and 50 years old.
I cannot detect scratches, flutter, pops or crackle... Some recordings are live, so there is some applause and the eventual cough .
TNX