Mauricio Kagel (1931-2008)

Started by bhodges, September 18, 2008, 11:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 11, 2017, 06:27:35 PM
I am more than surprised that the Kagel thread hasn't picked up discussion at all  :-[

ein....... zweeeei...........dreiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii................vierrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........funfunfunfunfunfunfunf......

SEX!! ;)

snyprrr

It also would have done better with the proper ThreadTitle: Kagel's Bagel.

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 12, 2017, 02:37:57 PM
Definitely a huge improvement  :D

Can Bruce fix it up??   ::)

He CAN

He WANTS

He WILL!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 12, 2017, 02:36:55 PM
Why not?

In other words, there are a ton of people who like similar music on here that it is surprising :)

But my point is Kagel isn't exactly a composer that gets much recognition around here. If I posted every time I feel a composer isn't getting the attention they deserve, I'd be well into the 50,000 post mark by now.

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 11, 2017, 06:27:35 PM
I am more than surprised that the Kagel thread hasn't picked up discussion at all  :-[

People think he's the guy that makes the trombonist bark like a dog.... oh,... yea,... he is!! :laugh:

Only five people know about String Quartet No.3 ;)

Next snowstorm I'll break out the 3 Piano Trios...

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 12, 2017, 04:00:27 PM
I should make a recommendations list?  ;)
Seeing as I appear to be the only other person majorly listening to his work.

Have you heard his ensemble/orchestral work Snyprrr?

Yes, please make a Detailed list, by all means.

Orchestral- I've perused the ColLegno and DG sets,... I liked the AvantBaroque piece, but the music that sounds like Salon Muisc... that's the part of Kagel, and some other... umm... Accordion Lovers (lol)... that tyrolian flavor that many times is meant to be mocking of the Received Tradition... I mean, Kagel does do that a bit...

I wasn't to keen on the 'Wind Rose' pieces... those are the "salon" pieces? The 'Lieberliedkuss; or whatever I liked better, and the Sextet on that same disc...

I can't remember how far into 'Exotica', 'Tactil', or 'Acoustica', I have gotten,...

maybe it's the Pretentious Mine Aspect of Kagel people shy away from??? lol, that's funny

I need a good pretentious mime movie, got a recommends? :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'(

anyhow

Kagel would approve of the way I Post

but that's just my opinion

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: jessop on January 12, 2017, 05:48:07 PM
That is an interesting observation you have made..........I have never introduced his music to anyone to be able to know this. What I find pretty cool about his music is his ability to be both experimental and fun at the same time. This was an also an aspect of Ligeti's music which owes to his popularity (aside from being featured in 2001 A Space Odyssey). His references to styles already in existence would create a lot of familiarity for people unfamiliar with his music as well.

I am currently listening to this excellent series of works. I would actually like to see what people think of his music when listening to these pieces for the first time! They are often fun and quirky. Kagel mixes up diatonicism and chromaticism a lot, possibly in a similar way that Stravinsky does in his popular Russian period of musical composition as well. There are lots of already familiar types of formal structures when it comes to phrases, periods etc. so there is a lot in this that any classical music fan would be familiar with anyway. I know that I can hear things in this music that aren't too far removed from composers like Britten, Ligeti, Shostakovich, Walton, even Reich at times, or styles like a tarantella, African and Afro-Cuban music. Mostly, elements from those styles have made their way into a plethora of classical compositions and popular music. I would be surprised if people listening to this wouldn't find anything they can at least connect with......it would probably come down to a kind of pickiness in how these styles are uniquely represented by Kagel.

I am copying this over from WAYLTN to ask the question of whether other can hear similarities between Kagel and these other composers/styles which I have mentioned.

Do you hear them too?

I believe this is a fairly recent release, at least on Spotify, because it has the year 2017 written next to it on my Spotify app.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Haha yep I knew the Ligeti influence! I haven't heard so much Kagel but I've read about his works a bit.

chadfeldheimer

Quote from: Aguest on January 11, 2017, 06:27:35 PM
I agree, Kagel definitely doesn't get enough attention on this forum. He wrote a huge number of fantastic pieces and imo did not went out of steam till the end of his life. His later works are a more accessible than the earlier ones, but still retain the same strange humour and ironic bite, which is not everybody's cup of tea, of course. My latest purchase of his music is the radio play "playback play" and I like it a lot. It's a pity that many of his earlier works are not available on CD.

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 26, 2017, 06:43:10 PM
Ok, I'll do this as a "beginners" list  :laugh: by category:

Vocal:
Anagrama

Orchestral:
Heterophonie
Les idées fixes
Opus 1.991
Etudes for orchestra

Chamber:
Music for renaissance instruments
Der Schall
Rrrrrr..... (that's it's name)                            Serenade
The piano trios
Acustica                                                       Transicion
Phantasiestück

All three String Quartets                        String Quartet No.4

Film:
Start with Ludwig Van and Antithese

Bonus round - Oratorio:
St. Bach Passion  8)

Then you got stuff like Staatstheater which is in a league of it's own.... ;)

Mandryka

Does anyone know if the score of Acustica is online anywhere? Is there a particularly successful recording? I'm listening now to this one

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Brewski on September 18, 2008, 12:46:36 PM
He was highly experimental, one of the most of any composer I know (in terms of the theatrical elements he added to his pieces).  I haven't heard Match--that sounds fantastic.

Thanks to UbuWeb, here are Acustica and Der Schall, available for listening.

--Bruce

Yes I started to explore him after finding a "manifesto" type paper by Jennifer Walshe which praised Kagel for his physicality. Could you point out some of his more theatrical pieces for me?

Mandryka

As far as I can see this is the only recorded performance of the third piano trio, which is for me a stimulating piece of music.  Well worth a listen.

I started to explore the trios after reading Ian Pace's comments on Kagel here

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/29018095.pdf

Pace's comments are largely about Passé composé, which is a substantial piano piece, late in Kagel's oeuvre, there is a recording of it, on the CD below.

Jo498

The trio CD is one of two I have with pieces by Kagel. I have to relisten to it. I heard part of the first trio (I think) on a sampler and was sufficiently fascinated that I apparently got both the Trio Image disk as well as one with the Goebel Trio (Kagel 1, Blacher, Erbse, on Thorofon).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

not edward

Quote from: Mandryka on June 07, 2021, 12:23:21 AM

As far as I can see this is the only recorded performance of the third piano trio, which is for me a stimulating piece of music.  Well worth a listen.
I really like this disc, which I think makes a strong case for Kagel's late style and how the music both embraces and subverts the history of the genre.

The piano trios, with their inherently wider sonic palette, seem generally more effective to me than the later string quartets. I know some have criticised the rather episodic structure of them, but to me as a listener it fits with the nature of the material.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music