Worst TV Shows

Started by Bogey, May 15, 2007, 03:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: david johnson on May 16, 2007, 11:52:11 AM
among the best things on cable...the univision weather girls
which show are they on? despierta america or some other news show?

lucky me, i get telefutura (which i like better, since they always have a bunch of movies, especially Jackie Chan stuff, and that one show, Camila) and univision as local channels, even though i don't have cable

karlhenning

Alien Nation
Quantum Leap

greg

(sending Karl thoughts of those 2 shows....)  >:D

karlhenning

Greg, it's not working, at least as I think you intend.

Instead, I am thinking of Danny DeVito in Renaissance Man   ;)

One of my roommates in Buffalo watched those two shows all the time;  I never managed to sit down to watch them with him . . . what little I saw on screen in my brief walk-bys . . . well, it gave me reason to despair of television as a medium  ;D

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on May 18, 2007, 06:00:43 AM
Greg, it's not working, at least as I think you intend.

Instead, I am thinking of Danny DeVito in Renaissance Man   ;)

One of my roommates in Buffalo watched those two shows all the time;  I never managed to sit down to watch them with him . . . what little I saw on screen in my brief walk-bys . . . well, it gave me reason to despair of television as a medium  ;D
oh, i just changed the thought that i was sending you, so yeah, it's working >:D

karlhenning

Sure, you'd have to say that  ;D

DavidW

Hey wait you guys are talking about the ones that most annoy you, not necessarily the worst.  Simply because if something was really bad you wouldn't bother with it and would be canceled very quickly.

I would categorize in terms of average poor quality from best to worst--

(a) shows that exist for a few weeks and then are canceled, some of which I really liked but the people have voted.  Such as the one where the guy keeps reliving the same day.

(b) shows that are only aired on afternoons on the weekend or during the week at 3 am.

(c) ... and only on a cable channel.

You have to go way down on the list before you get to primetime shows.  I like very few primetime shows at the moment (non-reality), but I will admit that they tend to have better acting, better budgets, better script writing etc than the average show types that I listed from (a)-(c).  And then for reality shows (I don't currently like any) it's just a step closer to honesty about the voyeuristic nature of humanity.  Since we don't have the village gossip anymore it was inevitable that these shows would come to be. 

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on May 18, 2007, 06:35:16 AM
Hey wait you guys are talking about the ones that most annoy you, not necessarily the worst.

Good distinction.

Although, it was pretty easy to remove myself to where the shows would not annoy  0:)

karlhenning

And to be sure, there are a number of shows generally accounted among The Best, which from this senator's standpoint, are a supreme annoyance  :)

EDIT: "Posts: leet"? kewl!

DavidW

Quote from: karlhenning on May 18, 2007, 06:36:18 AM
Good distinction.

Although, it was pretty easy to remove myself to where the shows would not annoy  0:)

Yeah I'm usually reading a mystery or studying quantum field theory instead of watching tv. :)

greg

Actually, probably the worst show on right now is this one game show called "Deal or No Deal". It takes no brain power, just guessing. A toddler could do better than Albert Einstein at the game if luck is on his side.

Though on the other hand, i never really cared for Jeopardy much since i never knew any of the answers to the questions.... though I did LEARN something once that was actually useful. The final question where they asked who was the composer of 4'33"- that was how i first found out it was John Cage.

karlhenning

Quote from: greg on May 18, 2007, 07:15:35 AM
Though on the other hand, i never really cared for Jeopardy much since i never knew any of the answers to the questions....

That's actually why I enjoyed watching the show back in my first youth . . . where I did not know the answer, I learned some very interesting things . . . .

Harry

Friends/Seinfield/ and all that mass crap coming from the States. Biggest export article it seems sometimes.
So a lot of dumb people are looking at it. ;D
Remember I wear glasses, you are not suppose to hit a person with glasses, remember! $:)

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Harry on May 18, 2007, 08:32:05 AM
Friends/Seinfield/ and all that mass grap coming from the States. Biggest export article it seems sometimes.
Remember I wear glasses, you are not suppose to hit a person with glasses, remember! $:)

I hope you don't catch the "mass grap," Harry.

Harry

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 18, 2007, 08:36:21 AM
I hope you don't catch the "mass grap," Harry.

You must be a teacher in the Kings English I pressume? :-\

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Harry on May 18, 2007, 08:38:54 AM
You must be a teacher in the Kings English I pressume? :-\

Ha. Don't I wish.

George

Quote from: Harry on May 18, 2007, 08:32:05 AM
Friends/Seinfield/ and all that mass crap coming from the States. Biggest export article it seems sometimes.

I fully agree with Friends being garbage, but Seinfeld?  :o

Harry

Quote from: George on May 18, 2007, 09:35:40 AM

Well George not wanting to be unfriendly to you, Seinfield has a large gathering in Europe, but I am not one of them.
The only thing it does for me, is putting me to sleep.

George

Quote from: Harry on May 18, 2007, 09:41:58 AM
Well George not wanting to be unfriendly to you, Seinfield has a large gathering in Europe, but I am not one of them.
The only thing it does for me, is putting me to sleep.

That's because of the Tryptophan.  ;D

orbital

Quote from: George on May 18, 2007, 09:35:40 AM
I can understand Seinfeld not being appealing to everyone. Especially if they broadcast it with voice overs (as I know they do in some countries)

The truth is when I came to New York in 1997, the series was at the top of its popularity. I did not watch a single show until the very last few episodes. I actually thought Seinfeld was George :D Then one day, I decided to take a chance and I was hooked, 4-5 episodes later the series ended  ;D

But once you get hooked, I don't think you can let it go.

How about a topic on favorite episode(s)  $:)