Charles Valentin Alkan

Started by alkan, May 16, 2007, 04:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Have only recently been introduced to Alkan's music by my dad who has recently become a passionate Alkan fan.
Absolutely loving his music so far, such brilliance and thrill!

One of my favourite works of his I have heard so far would be the 'Chant d'amour - Chant de mort' from the 12 Etudes Opus 35. I am still yet to hear the Symphony for piano, Concerto for solo piano and Les quatre ages which my dad tells me are his greatest masterpieces. I look forward to hearing these!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

springrite

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 16, 2012, 09:31:21 AM
Have only recently been introduced to Alkan's music by my dad who has recently become a passionate Alkan fan.

One of my favourite works of his I have heard so far would be the 'Chant d'amour - Chant de mort' from the 12 Etudes Opus 35. I am still yet to hear the Symphony for piano, Concerto for solo piano and Les quatre ages which my dad tells me are his greatest masterpieces. I look forward to hearing these!

Not a bad idea to follow your dad's advise! Do make time for those two works this year for sure!

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

North Star

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 16, 2012, 09:31:21 AM

Also check the small pieces, they were a big influence on Debussy & Ravel.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

Quote from: North Star on February 16, 2012, 01:00:49 PM
Also check the small pieces, they were a big influence on Debussy & Ravel.

Will do. Have listened to some of the Etudes already which were brilliant.

Today, listened to Les Quatre Ages which was simply amazing... it has certainly become one of my favourite piano works. Cannot wait to hear the Symphony and Concerto now!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 16, 2012, 01:08:25 PM
Will do. Have listened to some of the Etudes already which were brilliant.

Today, listened to Les Quatre Ages which was simply amazing... it has certainly become one of my favourite piano works. Cannot wait to hear the Symphony and Concerto now!
There are also two short piano with orchestra pieces (Concerto da camera 1 and 2) that you might find interesting (about 20 min in total). I have the recording from the Hyperion Romantic Concerto Series, which includes some wonderul Henselt pieces. This one:
[asin]B000002ZUA[/asin]

By the way, no one has mentioned the Esquisses, which I enjoy too (there is also a version on Naxos, but I have not heard it):
[asin]B00008IHWG[/asin]

PS: Some of these can be found at Berkshire including the Esquisses and Symphony for Solo Piano (both Hyperion).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

North Star

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 16, 2012, 01:28:27 PM
By the way, no one has mentioned the Esquisses, which I enjoy too (there is also a version on Naxos, but I have not heard it):
[asin]B00008IHWG[/asin]

PS: Some of these can be found at Berkshire including the Esquisses and Symphony for Solo Piano (both Hyperion).

I did mention small pieces, and these are exactly what I meant, along with the Chants. Brilliant stuff.

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

There are also two short piano with orchestra pieces (Concerto da camera 1 and 2) that you might find interesting (about 20 min in total). I have the recording from the Hyperion Romantic Concerto Series, which includes some wonderul Henselt pieces. This one:
[asin]B000002ZUA[/asin]

[asin]B00008IHWG[/asin]

Thank you, Neal.

About the Esquisses, my dad has the Naxos recording and likes it very much. I don't think he knows of this Hyperion recording, so I shall definitely let him know about them. Thank you for telling me about them!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

There is also this disc (which I have not heard), but that I have been eyeing with interest. The clips are intriguing. It came out in 2011.
[asin]B004BORFMC[/asin]

Wanderer

[asin]B000002ZUA[/asin]

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 16, 2012, 02:27:53 PM
Thank you, Neal.

About the Esquisses, my dad has the Naxos recording and likes it very much. I don't think he knows of this Hyperion recording, so I shall definitely let him know about them. Thank you for telling me about them!

Laurent Martin does well with the Esquisses; however, I find Osborne's set  to be even better.

Hamelin in the concerti da camera (playful and ebullient with haunting slow movements) is performing with tremendous energy and gusto and he is clearly having great fun. A disc of riches; even without the Alkan pieces, the Henselt concerto alone would deserve the price of the disc.

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 16, 2012, 10:53:26 PM
There is also this disc (which I have not heard), but that I have been eyeing with interest. The clips are intriguing. It came out in 2011.
[asin]B004BORFMC[/asin]

It's excellent. Toccata has also released two discs of Alkan's organ music, also very worthwhile.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Wanderer on February 17, 2012, 12:57:55 AM
It's excellent. Toccata has also released two discs of Alkan's organ music, also very worthwhile.
Good to get confirmation. I enjoyed the clips a lot.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Wanderer on Today at 05:57:55 AM

Mmm, that's a temptation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Thank you for all the recommendations.
I'll definitely prompt my dad to purchase the Hamelin concerto disc and the Osbourne Esquisses.

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 16, 2012, 10:53:26 PM
[asin]B004BORFMC[/asin]

My dad has this one and is also very enthusiastic about it! I am yet to hear it though, will remedy that soon!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Wanderer

Phrygian

I cannot understand why Alkan is so under-rated.  I have his solo piano music in a double CD set and very many of these pieces are the work of a very good composer.  In fact, I'd say that Alkan is a better composer than Scriabin - much better.  I speak here of the piano repertoire exclusively as I do not know any orchestral pieces, as yet, by Alkan.

lescamil

Quote from: Phrygian on June 24, 2014, 02:37:26 PM
In fact, I'd say that Alkan is a better composer than Scriabin - much better.

I think that is an unfair statement to both composers. I agree, Alkan is excellent, but so is Scriabin. Both are excellent in their own unique ways and they had completely different compositional styles and time periods.

Quote from: Phrygian on June 24, 2014, 02:37:26 PM
I speak here of the piano repertoire exclusively as I do not know any orchestral pieces, as yet, by Alkan.

There isn't any besides the 3 Concerti da Camera and a few other odds and ends as far as I know.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Pat B

I recently found this disc locally (at a much better price than on amazon marketplace).

[asin]B00000C2B1[/asin]

Has anybody else heard this? I didn't enjoy it much, but the problem may have been because of the piano sound and engineering rather than the composer or performer.

Wanderer

I don't have that one so I can't judge, but another (also OOP) Auvidis Valois Alkan disc with Sermet (chamber music) is quite good (though not generously filled). If you have an inkling it's the piano sound you don't like, it's probably it.

Wanderer

Vincenzo Maltempo expands his already impressive Alkan discography.

Due for release on 16 February 2015.

San Antone

Quote from: Wanderer on January 13, 2015, 08:11:42 AM
Vincenzo Maltempo expands his already impressive Alkan discography.

Due for release on 16 February 2015.

*** bump ***

Vincenzo Maltempo is a excellent interpreter of Alkan and Liszt - I wish he'd record more of both composers.

North Star

My photographs on Flickr