Mahler rip-off?

Started by MDL, September 16, 2008, 02:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDL

I am about to display my ignorance on a massive scale to the whole world, but WTF. Something is really bothering me.

So, there I was, pottering about in the classical department of Zavvi (ex-Virgin) in London, passing away my lunch break, when suddenly I heard what appeared to be a chamber version of the opening of the sixth movement of Mahler's 3rd Symphony. It was beautiful, although it soon drifted away from Mahler. I slouched over to the counter to see what CD was sitting in the what-we're-playing-now rack and saw a CD box set of the late string quartets by some little-known guy called Beethoven.

O fellow GMGers, forgive me! I have never sat down and listened to Beethoven's string quartets! Argh! Before shooting myself as penance for a life spent listening to Mahler, Stockhausen and Schoenberg, does anybody know which Beethoven quartet I might have been listening to? It was rather lovely and it would be an ideal entry point to a somewhat, er, important part of the repertoire that I've neglected. Cheers.

Novi

Quote from: MDL on September 16, 2008, 02:06:01 PM
I am about to display my ignorance on a massive scale to the whole world, but WTF. Something is really bothering me.

So, there I was, pottering about in the classical department of Zavvi (ex-Virgin) in London, passing away my lunch break, when suddenly I heard what appeared to be a chamber version of the opening of the sixth movement of Mahler's 3rd Symphony. It was beautiful, although it soon drifted away from Mahler. I slouched over to the counter to see what CD was sitting in the what-we're-playing-now rack and saw a CD box set of the late string quartets by some little-known guy called Beethoven.

O fellow GMGers, forgive me! I have never sat down and listened to Beethoven's string quartets! Argh! Before shooting myself as penance for a life spent listening to Mahler, Stockhausen and Schoenberg, does anybody know which Beethoven quartet I might have been listening to? It was rather lovely and it would be an ideal entry point to a somewhat, er, important part of the repertoire that I've neglected. Cheers.

Maybe opp. 130 or 131?

Sorry, not much help ???.

These are good sets though, or perhaps you could just pick up the late quartets if that's where you want to start:

Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Keemun

I'm not familiar with many of Beethoven's String Quartets, but perhaps this is what you heard?

Beethoven: String Quartet No. 15, Op. 132 - III. Holy Songs.
[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/4/1945216/2-03%20String%20Quartet%20No.%2015%2C%20Op.132_.mp3[/mp3]
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: MDL on September 16, 2008, 02:06:01 PM
Before shooting myself as penance for a life spent listening to Mahler, Stockhausen and Schoenberg, does anybody know which Beethoven quartet I might have been listening to?

It's gotta be the slow movement of Op. 135 (LvB's 16th and last quartet). When I first heard it, I thought, "Hey, Mahler ripped this off for his 3rd Symphony!"

It's also my favorite of the Beethoven late quartets.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Spitvalve on September 17, 2008, 11:47:44 PM
It's gotta be the slow movement of Op. 135 (LvB's 16th and last quartet).

Agree...MDL must have heard the the Lento third movement from Op.135

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MDL

Quote from: Spitvalve on September 17, 2008, 11:47:44 PM
It's gotta be the slow movement of Op. 135 (LvB's 16th and last quartet). When I first heard it, I thought, "Hey, Mahler ripped this off for his 3rd Symphony!"

It's also my favorite of the Beethoven late quartets.

It was shockingly similar to the opening the last movement of Mahler's Third. Thanks for naming that tune.

MDL

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 18, 2008, 12:16:56 AM
Agree...MDL must have heard the the Lento third movement from Op.135

Sarge

Thanks very much for the help.