Mauricio Kagel RIP

Started by The new erato, September 27, 2008, 09:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

His Acustica was one of the pieces that got me interested in classical music  when I was still listening to mostly electronica. I haven't heard it in years, though.

greg

Quote from: Corey on September 27, 2008, 10:35:33 AM
His Acustica was one of the pieces that got me interested in classical music  when I was still listening to mostly electronica. I haven't heard it in years, though.
Then you should visit the other Kagel thread, with links to his other stuff. Der Schall is another crazy work in the same style as Acustica.

bhodges

Kagel was really like no one else.  His unusual sound world that included virtually anything on the planet that can be called on to make music.  The description below is from the instrumentation of Acustica, which I'm listening to right now on UbuWeb...

Pick-ups and Diaphragms in as many forms as possible (other than the usual ones), in order to explore the devious route to higher sub-fidelity: e.g. plastic funnel and knife-feather and ukelele, sandpaper and drawing pin, matches with and without box.

Pipe-branch, a piece of narrow hose approx. 130' long with connections (on the ends of which organ pipes [mixtures] and penny-whistles are attached), which is fed by a compressed-air cylinder of 27 cubic feet capacity (an "aerophone" for collective use, where only generously-minded players can play together: should one of the performers divert the air-current for himself alone, all the others will be made silent).

Great stuff...

--Bruce

greg

I always wanted to know what he was using and now I can't even picture any of it.......  :(