dolce e molto espressivo for string quartet

Started by lunar22, December 20, 2023, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunar22

I think my favourite thing I've written this year is the final movement of my 12th string quartet. It's far from the most complex or sophisticated but the fact it was largely written in two days indicated to me at any rate that there was some inspiration there and it ends what is otherwise at times a rather bleak work on a more positive note. I'm interested what anyone on this forum who happens to come across this makes of it. This movement on its own can be found here
https://app.box.com/s/qqhdlseu39g03hs2yveapa1dxwzf0iwg

Mandryka

Who could resist something sweet and passionate for Christmas? For some reason -- possibly not a good one -- it made me think of the opening of the octet from Act 3 of Strauss's capriccio, same vibes.  And that's complement! 

Thanks for the present.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

lunar22

well, well-- that's perhaps a timely reminder I wanted to listen to Capriccio as I know it least among the Strauss operas. Having said that, I struggle to see any connection between my quartet and the octet referred to but it's always fascinating to hear of such associations! Anyway, many thanks for listening and I'm glad it seems to have struck a chord. 

Mandryka

Quote from: lunar22 on December 20, 2023, 11:09:23 AMwell, well-- that's perhaps a timely reminder I wanted to listen to Capriccio as I know it least among the Strauss operas. Having said that, I struggle to see any connection between my quartet and the octet referred to but it's always fascinating to hear of such associations! Anyway, many thanks for listening and I'm glad it seems to have struck a chord. 
I'm sure you don't see the connection to the octet -- there isn't one --- I meant the sextet!  (Trying to do too many things at once.)

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

lunar22

ok, now we're talking! The rather sad yet ultimately hopeful world typical of late Strauss has undoubtedly influenced me. Metamorphosen, The Four Last Songs and the Oboe Concerto are my favourite works from this composer. Curiously, I didn't know this lovely sextet and I'm grateful to you for pointing it out.

Uhor

I quite like it, thank you lunar22, I hope you go on composing like this or whatever way the muse goes.

krummholz

Meditative, expressive, and quite beautiful! I don't really see any connection with the Strauss sextet, but very much with the sound world of late Strauss, especially Metamorphosen. In any case I quite enjoyed this, thank you for posting it.

relm1

I liked it.  It had a yearning quality to it, as if striving or longing for something unachievable.  Nicely done!

lunar22

Exactly relm1 -- story of my life probably. As good a description of this piece as I've heard -- most grateful for your having a listen!

Rons_talking

Nicely done! Are the other quartets employing a similar harmonic language?

lunar22

It varies somewhat, though the general tendency is towards late romantic. The 12th quartet itself is more chromatic in the other movements. If you're curious, you can hear the whole of the quartet (and anything else that takes your fancy) here:
https://play.reelcrafter.com/dko22/chamberworks

lunar22

I've decided that my "offical" version of this last movement will now use the same Chris Hein library as the rest of the quartet. Some people can't stand the sound of this library but on balance, the increased pain and expressiveness to me more than compensates for its disadvantages. Interested in what anyone who enjoyed listening to this previously makes of the new rendering which can be found here on its own
https://app.box.com/s/fqlv1qvzc4ie87npem2t9cu9qtu25dz3

The entire quartet as before is Reelcrafter and there are significant differences to the first two movements in the rendering as well.