Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

No, Maciek, I was mashing English . . . .

Maciek

Too bad. On second thought - the effect could have been interesting. ;D

greg

Quote from: MrOsa on April 13, 2007, 03:56:02 PM
You seriously mean Ingrish? If that's the same as Engrish, then that doesn't sound good... :o
i still remember that time in Japanese class when my teacher had that site on the overhead projector- my favorite one was Tickle Me Elmo. Instead of reading "Clap Your Hands", it said "Crap Your Hands."

Cato

Hi Karl!

Your fans want an update!

And so does your air conditioner: summer's coming!   >:D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Practicing for the 22 May recital.  Will play the unaccompanied Irreplaceable Doodles again (whatever my faults, I do not lack for nerve) and three pieces with Heinrich Christensen, music director of King's Chapel, at the console:  Prelude on « Kremser » (actually a piece for trumpet and organ, but no matter), Handeliana and the Canzona & Gigue.

Still trying to get firm commitments from a pair of stringists for the June recital.  No, rather:  I already have a firm commitment from the violist, and I want to know from the cellist if she is game to put Terpsichore in Marble together.  The violist and his wife will sing my old three-part Song of Mary together, too.

Two of the sopranos in the St Paul's Choir want to do Shepherd on the Rock.  As long as one of them turns up a part for me to play from (— I must have one somewhere in the apartment, but I'll never find it, not at a time when I need it —) that will be fun;  haven't played it since the dark days of Buffalo.

Choir rehearsal tonight!  Which means that I may learn from Ed when he may be thinking of doing Nuhro, or the Magnificat (again), or (as the composer should prefer) both.

A very interesting project has arisen, a commission (prospect of performance and recording) for a Christmas piece for three voices and percussion.  Texts in Portuguese have been furnished, and they are beauties.  I need to ask a discreet question or two so that I know what limitations the percussionist may have, and then I think this piece will write quite quickly.

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2007, 10:38:51 AM

Choir rehearsal tonight!  Which means that I may learn from Ed when he may be thinking of doing Nuhro, or the Magnificat (again), or (as the composer should prefer) both.

Both!  That's the kind of thinking we like to see!   0:)

Thanks for the update!  The piece with Portuguese texts sounds intriguing!  3 voices and percussion: I assume you will ask if the latter means things like vibraphone, tubular bells, celesta, etc.  Or just a few snare drums?!

karlhenning

That's why I need to ask.  If I have complete freedom, I'd probably include a marimba.  But this is a group which tours a lot, so the percussionist may only use small, easily portable noisemakers.

greg

Quote from: Cato on April 25, 2007, 10:58:11 AM
Both!  That's the kind of thinking we like to see!   0:)

Thanks for the update!  The piece with Portuguese texts sounds intriguing!  3 voices and percussion: I assume you will ask if the latter means things like vibraphone, tubular bells, celesta, etc.  Or just a few snare drums?!
Actually, he should have all 3 of them sing in a different language.
How about Portuguese, Thai, and Turkmen?  :o

karlhenning

Ed wants to do both Nuhro and the Magnificat for an evening service on the Feast of the Ascension (Thursday, 17 May).

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on April 26, 2007, 08:03:16 AM
Ed wants to do both Nuhro and the Magnificat for an evening service on the Feast of the Ascension (Thursday, 17 May).

Great!  Sounds like your bank account just keeps on rockin' !

Mark G. Simon

I had a great time listening to Karl's Out in the Sun, which naturally sounds much better played by real instruments than by the MIDI version which I heard earlier.

There's a lot of bustling activity, though not much harmonic motion. It reminds me of Torke (which is a compliment in my book). The first and third sections are devoted to various permutations of B flat major. Eventually the E flats fall away, and there's a short period of mixolydian-ness before the contrasting 2nd section, which has a passage for contrabass clarinet (or bass clarinet in its extended low register) and bari sax which reminds me of the saxophone break in Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke". A slow coda brings things to a restful close.

It's an enjoyable piece.

Maciek

For the past 2 days I've been listening to my latest acquisition - a wonderful disc of Karl Henning's music recently released by the "Henning's Classics" label (in the "Charles Disques" series). And what a pleasant addition to my collection it is! Some truly remarkable music. I was expecting some strong Shostakovitch influences but to my surprise found none to speak of (if there is anything noticeable of that sort, then it is a faint Stravinskyan streak ;)). I'm especially fond of Hodie Christus natus est, where the sound of the clarinet beautifully blends with the sound of the choir, I Sang to the Sky, and Day Broke with some great interplay between percussion and wind ensemble, and also Murmur of Many Waters with a very colorful percussion. The opening of Nuhro is also quite striking and very beautiful, as is the whole piece, and in fact every piece on the CD I'm speaking of.

My wife was mightily impressed too. As for my daughter, many of you may already know that she has very discerning tastes. She will only dance to the music of Xenakis and Norgard, and so far was not given to the absent minded art of humming. However, this all changed the minute the afore mentioned CD started playing. For some unfathomable reason, Rose wanted to sing along with the choir the moment she heard it (and for the first time too!), and kept this up for quite a while. So I am pleased to report that she adores the music as well.

Listening to all these wonderful pieces I became curious of the composer himself and so conducted a google search, hoping for a decent image. The following 2 came up quite high in the results (check for yourselves!), so I gather they're a good likeness (presumably the first shows him with a member of his family):

Cheers,
Maciek

Cato

Those are pictures of Karl before he got married!  Thanks to marital bliss, he now resembles Charlton Heston.

karlhenning

Many thanks, Mark & Maciek!

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on May 09, 2007, 04:09:38 AM
Those are pictures of Karl before he got married!  Thanks to marital bliss, he now resembles Charlton Heston.

If I may quote Karl Friedrich Hieronymous Baron von Munchausen: Beautiful ladies! But other than that, it's all wrong!

Separately, and truly:

My name in pixels once again.

karlhenning

Music of Karl Henning

Terpsichore in Marble, Op. 9 (clarinet and cello)
Canzona & Gigue, Op. 77a (clarinet, viola and cello)
Three Things that Begin with 'C', Op. 65a (clarinet and viola)
Song of Mary, Op. 29 (three mixed voices)
Mirage, Op. 79a (clarinet, viola and piano)

Karl Henning, clarinet (& bass)

Assisted by:
Rachel Cama-Lekx, alto
Sara Richardson, cello
Peter Cama-Lekx, viola & tenor
Ed Broms, piano

Wednesday, 20 June
12:15pm

Cathedral Church of St Paul
138 Tremont St, Boston

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on May 17, 2007, 05:41:37 AM
Music of Karl Henning

Terpsichore in Marble, Op. 9 (clarinet and cello)
Canzona & Gigue, Op. 77a (clarinet, viola and cello)
Three Things that Begin with 'C', Op. 65a (clarinet and viola)
Song of Mary, Op. 29 (three mixed voices)
Mirage, Op. 79a (clarinet, viola and piano)

Karl Henning, clarinet (& bass)

Assisted by:
Rachel Cama-Lekx, alto
Sara Richardson, cello
Peter Cama-Lekx, viola & tenor
Ed Broms, piano

Wednesday, 20 June
12:15pm

Cathedral Church of St Paul
138 Tremont St, Boston
wow, you're going all the way back to op.9? is that a type (90) or not?

karlhenning

No, that isn't a typo.  It's a piece I wrote back while doing my Master's in Charlottesville.

toledobass

Good luck maestro!!!!!!!!!

Out of curiousity where all did you study?  I've heard Buffalo mentioned as well as Wooster. 

Allan

karlhenning

Thanks, Allan!

B.Mus. in composition & clarinet performance, College of Wooster
M.A. in composition, University of Virginia
Ph.D. in composition, University at Buffalo (SUNY)