Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

The hat was my biggest "haul" to date.

Cato

Well, if the hat fits, wear it!   $:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

No "hot" news by me.

Very pleased with how this week's recital went at King's Chapel.

Getting music rehearsed for a 20 June recital at St Paul's;  still waiting for word on the new and well-reputedly excellent cellist's availability.

May at long last have found a brass quintet to play Moonrise.

And I am cooking up a piece for three soli voices and light percussion, for a Cambridge-based ensemble;  they provided the texts, exquisite old Portuguese Christmas ballads.

— Cambridge, Massachusetts, Guido & Luke  8)

lukeottevanger

Quote from: karlhenning on May 25, 2007, 04:36:42 AM
No "hot" news by me.

Very pleased with how this week's recital went at King's Chapel.
And I am cooking up a piece for three soli voices and light percussion, for a Cambridge-based ensemble;  they provided the texts, exquisite old Portuguese Christmas ballads.

— Cambridge, Massachusetts, Guido & Luke  8)

Don't worry; I've long ago gathered that your 'King's Chapel' isn't our real one as well.... ;) :-*

karlhenning

Quote from: lukeottevanger on May 26, 2007, 04:53:53 PM
Don't worry; I've long ago gathered that your 'King's Chapel' isn't our real one as well.... ;) :-*

I guess, had I thought about it, I should have known there was a King's Chapel otherwheres than on Tremont Street!  ;)

karlhenning

More work done on Castelo dos anjos for three soli voices and percussion, on antique Christmas texts (three in Portuguese, one in Spanish).

All the texts are so lovely, I didn't have the heart to reject any of them, so I figured I'd make a 'mini cantata' of it.

karlhenning

Also, in timing of rightness on a cosmic scale, the three of us are going to visit a Museum of Russian Icons in Clinton, Massachusetts for a private tour led by the museum's founder this afternoon.

Guido

What's the cellists' name?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

karlhenning

(Not being coy; that's all I know so far!)  8)

Maciek

Quote from: karlhenning on May 30, 2007, 03:58:37 AM
More work done on Castelo dos anjos for three soli voices and percussion, on antique Christmas texts (three in Portuguese, one in Spanish).

All the texts are so lovely, I didn't have the heart to reject any of them, so I figured I'd make a 'mini cantata' of it.

Sounds very exciting, Karl! :D

karlhenning

Peculiarly, wound up with an unexpected day off, so I'm keen at work on Castelo dos Anjos.

Bogey

Karl,
Not to get too sidetracked, but was just wondering what classical category you would place your music in, or a better question, if someone else were to categorize your classical music, what heading might they use that you would give at least an affirmative nod to.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

BachQ

Quote from: Bogey on June 05, 2007, 11:23:58 AM
just wondering what classical category you would place your music in,

Breakbeat hardcore

karlhenning

Well, right now, Bill, this piece . . . Maria has described as "African or Middle Eastern."  (This is essentially for this first of four texts, and the character will change imminently.)

The performers for whom I'm writing have asked for something with 'a Sephardic flair' . . . I'm just hoping this flair may serve :-)

Steve

Henning's Headquarters...

The composer's batcave, perhaps.  ;D

karlhenning

Only it's never quite the same bat-time-signature . . . .

karlhenning

Very pleased with progress on Castelo dos Anjos.

Worked some more on the bus this morning, too.

PSmith08

I must say, I've been into Karl's Evening Service lately, particularly the Magnificat. For all the world, and I pray (insofar as I can) that Karl won't take offense, but this is the only way I can phrase this: It reminds me of De Staat. But, you know, joyful and convivial (as opposed to grinding and oppressive). The whole Evening Service is really nice, but the Magnificat is the one piece that sticks with me.

Just my two cents.

Edit: Blasted italics.

karlhenning

Thank you, indeed, Patrick!