Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Cato

No problem to update you: no school today, so I can check fairly often for news from Maria Bablyak.  However, I will be gone for a few hours in the afternoon.

Maria did not say exactly when Karl was hit by the stroke yesterday, but it was during the morning.  So, 24 hours have passed.  She mentioned the great feeling of helplessness at that time, since she was several hundred miles away in Washington, D.C.

For those who might be interested in such things, the Catholic Church has proclaimed a patron saint for stroke victims: Saint Anthony Avellino.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Cato,

Thanks you very much for keeping us updated on Karl's condition. Sarge found the right word, devastating news.

By some coincidence I was reading yesterday that Handel composed his most famous works after suffering what at first appeared to be a serious stroke. Hopefully that is a good omen.

Perhaps I will listen to Beethoven's String Quartet Op 132, mvmt III Heiliger Dankgesang eines Genesenen an die Gottheit, in der Lydischen Tonart. It is the closest I get to a prayer.

bwv 1080

And Schnittke had one in 1985

Neither composer had access to modern medicine

Hoping for a fast recovery

cilgwyn

I'm very sorry to hear about Karl. He's one of the regulars. I hope he's going to get better,soon!

Luke

What a horrendous reason to return to GMG. Terrible news, I've thought about little else all day. All my deepest best wishes, love and thoughts go to Karl and his family. Karl's a big part of my life despite the ocean between us, and I wish I could do more than just send him my best and most heartfelt wishes for his recovery.

Thank you so much, Leo, for letting me know about this via Philippa. You, too, are a true friend, as ever.

Cato

Quote from: Luke on November 21, 2018, 09:25:03 AM
What a horrendous reason to return to GMG. Terrible news, I've thought about little else all day. All my deepest best wishes, love and thoughts go to Karl and his family. Karl's a big part of my life despite the ocean between us, and I wish I could do more than just send him my best and most heartfelt wishes for his recovery.

Thank you so much, Leo, for letting me know about this via Philippa. You, too, are a true friend, as ever.

Greetings Luke!  And Everyone else!

Maria's  message this morning contained no details about anything, except that she felt overwhelmed, helpless, and everything else one would normally feel. 

Some people on FaceBook are publishing their telephone numbers to push Maria into giving them more information.

I understand the impatience: Impatience is the handmaiden of worry and concern.

However, I think there is nothing to report: possibly he is (still) unconscious (?).

And...

If you can find the time to stay with us, Luke, I believe we would all appreciate it!  Your musical works are most impressive.  A good number of new people would be more than interested in them.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Knowing nothing of Karl's medical condition, I think it is a common procedure to maintain a patient with brain injury under anesthesia during the initial phase of treatment. Preventing or resolving swelling of the brain a primary goal.

Wanderer

This is shocking. Hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

And thank you, Cato, for the updates.

Cato

Quote from: Wanderer on November 21, 2018, 10:10:21 AM
This is shocking. Hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

And thank you, Cato, for the updates.

I wish I had something to tell you (5:00 P.M. E.S.T.), but Maria has not sent anything to me, nor has she written anything on FaceBook.

She has my telephone number now, so perhaps later this evening she will have some (good) news.

Cato

Quote from: Cato on November 21, 2018, 12:59:15 PM
I wish I had something to tell you (5:00 P.M. E.S.T.), but Maria has not sent anything to me, nor has she written anything on FaceBook.

She has my telephone number now, so perhaps later this evening she will have some (good) news.

Of course!  Three minutes ago Maria sent an update via FaceBook that she "would let Karl know" that many people wanted to contact him, and that she agreed with me that strokes can be worse than heart attacks.

I await a longer response.

Cato

Another short message from Karl's wife:  he is "more stable" right now, but has developed pneumonia!

The incubation period for pneumonia is at least a week, so he must have already contracted it: perhaps it led somehow to the stroke?

Anyway, he is still alive, and seems to be conscious.  That is very good news!

bwv 1080

Yes, great news thanks for the update

schnittkease

Glad to know he's conscious!

André

Quote from: Cato on November 21, 2018, 01:17:28 PM
Another short message from Karl's wife:  he is "more stable" right now, but has developed pneumonia!

The incubation period for pneumonia is at least a week, so he must have already contracted it: perhaps it led somehow to the stroke?

Anyway, he is still alive, and seems to be conscious.  That is very good news!

In reverse, the stroke may trigger swallowing (deglutition) problems which rapidly cause an aspiration pneumonia. Whatever the case is, both conditions are serious. I pray he gets over both issues and fully recovers.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Cato on November 21, 2018, 01:17:28 PM

I think the incubation period you refer to would apply to infection by another infected person. I think pneumonia can arise  more quickly from aspiration or use of a ventilator. Hospitals are full of nasty bugs.

At this point we have very little information to constrain our hopes or our fears for Karl.

Todd

This is terrible, sad news.  It's good to read that Karl is conscious.  I wish him a speedy and full recovery.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Thanks Cato for the updates. Much appreciated. Good to know Karl's health is improving little by little, despite of contracting pneumonia.

Cato

I contacted the artist Irina Pisarenko, Karl's mother-in-law, and she verified that Karl today "feels a little better."

This would also indicate that he is conscious at least.

Concerning the pneumonia: yes, hospitals are full of disease these days.  To develop it in one day seems unlikely, but...who knows?

Irina Pisarenko
expressed her great happiness that so many have sent prayers and wishes and hopes to the Henning family.