Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on June 05, 2007, 01:11:18 PM
Well, right now, Bill, this piece . . . Maria has described as "African or Middle Eastern."  (This is essentially for this first of four texts, and the character will change imminently.)

The performers for whom I'm writing have asked for something with 'a Sephardic flair' . . . I'm just hoping this flair may serve :-)

Throw down all other projects, ban yourself from this forum, and work by candlelight if need be.....(drat, if I only had the funds and pull to be Prince Nikolaus Esterházy for a month or two.)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

PSmith08

karlhenning

I had a dream . . . no, it was a patch of clear waking in the middle of the night, and I know now what I want to do about the 20 June recital.

More later.

karlhenning

Clarity has been achieved, as mentioned.  The violist and his wife are both involved in the now-in-progress BEMF (and I've been on a sixty-hour weekly schedule), so we haven't been in touch to arrange things with The New Cellist, among other occasions we might have to be in contact.  Yet, the recital is in ten days.

So I am dropping pieces which require cello, dropping too the vocal trio (didn't sightread as easily as I'd hoped when we were last all together, gosh, three Wednesdays ago, maybe?).

More anon.

karlhenning

Gosh, this has so been The Week That Harry Goes to the Opera, I've all but forgot . . . .

karlhenning

Wednesdays in the Cathedral, Lunchtime Concerts, 12:15-12:45 pm.

20 June 2007:

Music of Karl Henning

Mirage, Opus 79, clarinet, viola & piano (2004)
Blue Shamrock, Opus 63, clarinet solo (2002)
The Mousetrap, Opus 91, clarinet & viola (2007, premiere)
Three Things that Begin with 'C', Opus 65, clarinet & viola (2002)

Karl Henning, clarinet
Peter Cama-Lekx, viola
Ed Broms, piano

Cathedral Church of St Paul
138 Tremont Street, Boston, Massachusetts

Cato

You should be getting some press with these concerts!  But since in Boston most of the reporters are down at Duffy's, well...

Does The Mousetrap have anything to do with the mystery play?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

'Tis a knavish piece of work: but what o' that? Your majesty and we that have free souls, it touches us not . . . .

karlhenning

Had to drop two pieces involving cello, long story.

An especially nervy touch, I think, rescheduling Blue Shamrock  8)

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on June 14, 2007, 05:10:40 AM
Blue Shamrock  8)

Does the title Blue Shamrock bear any relationship whatsoever to the music ?......... ?

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on June 14, 2007, 05:12:22 AM
Does the title Blue Shamrock bear any relationship whatsoever to the music ?......... ?

But of course!  I assure you, mon vieux, none of my titles is gratuitous . . . .

karlhenning

Though the piece is too busy to allow the clarinetist to vegetate, to be sure . . . .

karlhenning

Change in plan . . . .

Wednesdays in the Cathedral, Lunchtime Concerts, 12:15-12:45 pm.

20 June 2007:

Music of Karl Henning

Mirage, Opus 79a, clarinet, viola & piano (2004)
Lutosławski's Lullaby, Opus 25, piano solo (1994)
Petersburg Nocturne, Opus 11 No. 5, piano solo (1994)
Three Things that Begin with 'C', Opus 65a, clarinet & viola (2002)

Karl Henning, clarinet & piano
Peter Cama-Lekx, viola
Ed Broms, piano

Cathedral Church of St Paul
138 Tremont Street, Boston, Massachusetts

Timing (as much a matter of rehearsal with Pete as of composition) suggested holding off on The Mousetrap until the autumn.  I quickly decided on these early piano pieces as a substitution, and decided to postpone Blue Shamrock as well, lest my plate overflow.

karlhenning

And, Maciek, I hear that a Polish citizen will be in attendance :-)

karlhenning

At eleven this morning, the three of us sat down to read through Mirage, just to hear how it sounds in the space, and to spot-rehearse. Before we started, though, Ed (who generally plays jazz evenings) goes, "I don't remember the last time I played chamber music without drums." So I said, I could write in a vibraslap part.

The recital went reasonably well. It started pouring just before the recital began, though, so turnout was light, but appreciative.

And, Maciek, a significant portion of the audience was in fact Polish  :)

Maciek

The janitorial staff had a day off, eh? But being musicians and all, they decided to spend their free time at work anyway...

Maciek

karlhenning

Back to work on Castelo dos Anjos (thank heavens for Independence Day!)  :)