The Music Room > Composing and Performing

Henning's Headquarters

<< < (1702/1719) > >>

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 07:31:34 AM ---I'm sure all composers have gone through whether or not to continue, but do you feel that you're having some kind of creative crisis, Karl?

--- End quote ---

Perhaps, and I'm hoping it may pass in December's course.

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2021, 07:50:57 AM ---Perhaps, and I'm hoping it may pass in December's course.

--- End quote ---

Yes, hopefully it will pass. Remember that Stravinsky had many creative crises through his career. The last one he had almost made him stop completely until he found inspiration in serialism.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 08:00:47 AM ---Yes, hopefully it will pass. Remember that Stravinsky had many creative crises through his career. The last one he had almost made him stop completely until he found inspiration in serialism.

--- End quote ---

You're right, of course. Thanks.

VonStupp:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 30, 2021, 04:14:28 PM ---’Tis a modest enough piece of work, but I chopped out the Coventry Carol arrangement today. I am pleased.

--- End quote ---

Fun! Did you base yours off of a church hymn version or did you harmonize the carol yourself? Or was it a matter of adding a flute obbligato to your (and your teen flautist's) satisfaction?

We have been rehearsing an arrangement of Coventry by Tim Stevenson; the strings/organ turn bitonal, built upon planing stacked quartals, when the angry Herod verse starts. It has been interesting, but a lovely, haunting carol.

VS

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: VonStupp on December 04, 2021, 11:51:21 AM ---Fun! Did you base yours off of a church hymn version or did you harmonize the carol yourself? Or was it a matter of adding a flute obbligato to your (and your teen flautist's) satisfaction?

We have been rehearsing an arrangement of Coventry by Tim Stevenson; the strings/organ turn bitonal, built upon planing stacked quartals, when the angry Herod verse starts. It has been interesting, but a lovely, haunting carol.

VS

--- End quote ---

Really, all I did was add a couple of flute apostrophes to the traditional carol, and have the flute reinforce some of the choral parts. The Stevenson sounds very nice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version