Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Thanks!

Separately: Ensemble Aubade rehearsing my Oxygen Footprint Sunday
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 22, 2022, 03:07:48 PM

Separately: Ensemble Aubade rehearsing my Oxygen Footprint Sunday

Great to see your music in rehearsal, Karl.

Karl Henning

Our Triad concerts are this weekend, and I am very excited. In addition to pieces by Triad composers (including my own When for choir and alto flute) we're singing Dance No More, a piece by my teacher at Wooster, Jack Gallagher, and pieces by two composers I've "met" via social media: Kevin Scott from NY state is represented by a Good Friday motet, In Manus Tuas with deliciously rich harmonies, and Dennis Bathory-Kitsz of Vermont by a lovely setting of O Magnum Mysterium.

But I have also been busy with thoughts of our first concert back in King's Chapel since the dawn of the Plague. The program will include:

Moose on the Loose, Op. 165 (Picc, Alto Fl, Hn, Vn)
Airy Distillates, Op. 110 (Flute Solo)
Yesterday's Snow, Op. 160 (2 Fl, Hn, Vn)
Pam's Labyrinth, Op. 166 (Fl, Alto Sax, Hn, Vn)

Bonus trivia: I originally composed Airy Distillates for a flutist I found on Twitter, for a while it looked as if we were building a professional relationship, and then she blew me off. I had pretty much forgotten all about the piece until a couple of weeks ago when I was trawling through my computer folders ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Last  night's Triad concert went very well; singing the same program again tonight.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 20, 2022, 09:17:11 AM
Last  night's Triad concert went very well; singing the same program again tonight.
Huzzah!  Very happy for you Karl!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ritter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 20, 2022, 10:04:21 AM
Huzzah!  Very happy for you Karl!  ;D

PD
A big +1! Great to read the concert was a success!   :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

I am gratified to report that last bight's Triad concert also went very well. One of our guest composers just posted:

Last night I had the privilege of hearing my work "O Magnum Mysterium" premiered by Triad: Boston's Choral Collective ... and I do mean 'privilege' -- they are a wonderful group, musically thrilling, presenting twelve compositions (ten world premieres), stylistically diverse, with five different conductors from the group and most of the compositions by the singers. And they did all of it in a welcoming, stress-free way. In their voices, my piece sounded wonderful (on the way home I said to Stevie, "I guess I really can compose") and Kevin Scott's work was a powerful end to the concert. I'm looking forward to the concert video (composer Pamela Marshall had a piece performed as well as being the documentarian for the night). I should list every one with digital garlands! Thanks to every composer and singer!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 21, 2022, 06:57:16 AM
I am gratified to report that last bight's Triad concert also went very well. One of our guest composers just posted:

Last night I had the privilege of hearing my work "O Magnum Mysterium" premiered by Triad: Boston's Choral Collective ... and I do mean 'privilege' -- they are a wonderful group, musically thrilling, presenting twelve compositions (ten world premieres), stylistically diverse, with five different conductors from the group and most of the compositions by the singers. And they did all of it in a welcoming, stress-free way. In their voices, my piece sounded wonderful (on the way home I said to Stevie, "I guess I really can compose") and Kevin Scott's work was a powerful end to the concert. I'm looking forward to the concert video (composer Pamela Marshall had a piece performed as well as being the documentarian for the night). I should list every one with digital garlands! Thanks to every composer and singer!

Congrats, Karl! 

aligreto

Congratulations on the events Karl.
The write up is also a wonderful endorsement for the group.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Great to hear music is being performed again.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Thanks! A most gratifying weekend, indeed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 25, 2022, 10:56:52 AM
Thanks! A most gratifying weekend, indeed!

I was going to use the adjective gratifying, Karl, but you got there before me. I therefore deduce a positive engagement overall.

krummholz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 20, 2022, 09:17:11 AM

Wonderful news Karl!

krummholz

I can guess who the "guest composer" was... this is really great to hear! Congratulations to both you and the composer, and to your group! :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA