Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Wonderful, Bill!  The group will impress mightily, I fully expect.

Quote from: Herzog Lipschitz on November 10, 2007, 09:06:23 AM
(g) Extracting and spiffing up ........

Spiffing is now complete.

Bogey

Quote from: Herzog Lipschitz on October 30, 2007, 02:49:06 PM
Where is the Newman Center for the Performing Arts in relation to St. Barnabas Episcopal Church (1280 Vine)?

About a 15 minute (4.5 miles) drive from the church....I am guessing a lot of traffic lights along the way.  (From the Star to No. 1) 

From my house, about 30 minutes.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

(h) New & improved harp part with ergonomic page-turns (ultra-spiffed)

BachQ

Harpists will love you ....... and flock to your composition in droves ........

karlhenning

Luckily, we are prepared for droves of harpists . . . .

karlhenning

Well, I've got (at a rough guess) 40-ish % of the viola part laid out (with cues).  I'll do the remainder tomorrow;  and then Pete and I will start hashing it all out on Wednesday . . . .

karlhenning

The viola part to The Mousetrap is now done;  both parts run to 16pp., liberally larded with rhythmic cues.

karlhenning

The choir of First Lutheran Church in Boston (Bálint Karosi, organist & director) will sing Hodie Christus natus est in Boston for the first Sunday of Advent (2 Dec 07).

BachQ

karlhenning

Oh, and he's a clarinetist, too.

This morning, look across the Charles at Cambridge:

BachQ

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on November 20, 2007, 03:29:30 AM
But can he compose?

I will have occasion to find out;  in a few weeks I will play clarinet for an anthem he has written for choir, clarinet & organ.  I will report.

karlhenning

BachQ

karlhenning

Tapestry rehearsed Castelo dos anjos at noon today, and I visited further with them much of this evening over tea.

Bill, I think you will be pleased with the performance in Denver!

Quote from: D Minor on November 20, 2007, 01:31:07 PM
What a wonderful and rare occasion!

The composer really did autograph my program, God bless him.

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on November 20, 2007, 05:27:35 PM
Tapestry rehearsed Castelo dos anjos at noon today, and I visited further with them much of this evening over tea.

The composer really did autograph my program, God bless him.

Are you in Denver Karl!?  Or was it a virtual conference?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

I assure you, Bill, if ever I am in Denver, I will not keep you in the dark about it!  ;D

Yesterday's rehearsal was here in Boston (in Cambridge, actually).  The group will be flying to Denver Friday a week from today.

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on November 12, 2007, 03:04:36 PM
Harpists will love you ....... and flock to your composition in droves ........

The droves! Where are they!?

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on November 20, 2007, 05:27:35 PM

Let's get to the review:

Tapestry's "In the Company of Angels" program was nothing short of wondrous.  Starting out with Rachmaninoff's Tebye Poyem took me totally by surprise and I was locked in from the first note.  The performance was at a level where half way through I started to look around the hall praying to spot some sort of recording equipment in the hopes that what I was hearing was being captured.  Before the show started I thought that I would be  witness to performers that could be easily compared to the likes of The Anonymous 4.  However, as they continued, it became clear that I had yet to hear anyone comparable to them.  These talented ladies each have a uniqueness about them that truly separates each of their performances, yet together these unique qualities work beautifully.  We are talking "rare air" here folks.   One could have easily spent hours listening to these ladies sing without accompaniment.  However, another highlight of the show for me were talents Shira Kammen (harp and vielle) and Takkaki Masuko (percussion) who added layers to the music that in short were pure joy to be witness to.  It is one thing to play an instrument well and with passion.  It is another, in my opinion, to play at a level where one compliments the human voice and brings the performance to a height rarely witnessed.  These two folks accomplished both.  This level of performance was maintained throughout, and prior to intermission the performances of Catalata ala Spagnola (Dalza) and Chacona (Arañés) made me feel as though my applause was below standard for recognition of what I just witnessed.

Upon returning to my seat after intermission, my thoughts were focused on one point.  What would they do with your Castelo dos Anjos Karl, that was slated for the later part of the show?  I had only heard little snippits of it, but remembering telling you based on these samples to throw down all other projects, ban yourself from this forum, and work by candlelight if need be...., so my hopes were high when they began the piece.  I was not let down.  Their performance of your composition Karl alone was well worth my ticket price and for that matter, all those who attended the concert.  Though you did compose this piece Karl, you may want to consider sending flowers, gift cards, new automobiles, etc. for their effort here.  I only wish you could of been in the audience.  You would have been most proud of their performance and the crowd's reaction to it. 

The show ended with a piece by James Falzone who also did a short lecture before the show that set up the music nicely.  This last composition ended the show not only on reverent note (folks you really need to see these ladies perform....their stage presence is simply awesome), but one of just plain fun.  I hope he enjoyed seeing his piece performed as much as I did. 

After the show the ladies took time to sign cds and programs.  I was able at this time to let them know that I knew you Karl and the conversation went something like this, and I paraphrase:

Bill: Hello.  Just wanted to say hello from my friend Karl Henning.
Ladies: Is Karl a friend of yours?
Bill: Yes.
Ladies: Are you a composer also?
Bill: Oh, no....not even close.
Laurie (one of the performers): You know, I thought you might be his brother when I saw you sitting in the front row (That's right folks, front row, dead center  ;D).  You two look a lot alike.
Bill: Hmmm, I am not sure who the unfortunate one is here.  8)
Etc....

They were very kind and gracious Karl and really took time to visit with people that stayed after to meet them.  I mean took the time.

Here is the bottom line where I come from.  For me to take a Saturday evening and to head out on my own and miss time with my wife and two little ones when they are at home so I can enjoy something solo, it had better be damn good and worth while.  Karl, this concert was just that.  I cannot wait for the family to get up tomorrow morning and tell them all about the wonderful time I had.  I also bought one of their cds and I am sure all here will enjoy listening to it tomorrow.  Thanks again for the heads up and I can only imagine what it must feel like to write music, have it performed half way across this continent, and know that all enjoyed your creation and the performance of it.  Well done my friend. 

BachQ