Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Very pleased that you enjoyed the concert, Bill; but then, knowing their work, I knew well that as long as you arrived at the concert, you would enjoy Tapestry's performance!

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on December 02, 2007, 03:52:51 PM
Very pleased that you enjoyed the concert, Bill; but then, knowing their work, I knew well that as long as you arrived at the concert, you would enjoy Tapestry's performance!

Any chance that your commissioned piece will end up on their next cd Karl.  They seem to record recent compositions, no?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Quote from: Bogey on December 05, 2007, 06:12:31 PM
Any chance that your commissioned piece will end up on their next cd Karl.  They seem to record recent compositions, no?

I think it's a good chance, Bill, though I don't know when such a disc will actually materialize.

greg

i've forgotten to check up on this thread for a while:P

Quote from: karlhenning on November 09, 2007, 04:22:03 AM
I submitted a blind score, and other people did the rest.

(a) There was a call for scores(b) I saw right away that Radiant Maples, a piece for whose premiere I have always been keen to find some occasion, fit within the instrumentation;  (c) I sent the score;  (d) they liked it.

(a) and (d) were dumb-luck breaks which happened to fall my way;  (b) and (c) were readiness on my part.
excellent.
Is this how you get all of your music performed? Would there be a similar "call for scores" for orchestras? Is this something this group does regularly, so would you advise me to write a work with the following instrumentation to submit to them so they can play it if they like? that was a long sentence.

QuotePerformers:
Steven Miahky, Violin
Maria Sampen, Violin
Tim Christie, Viola
Norbert Lewandowski, Cello
Sarah Brady, Flute
Kevin Schempf, Clarinet
Amy Ley, Harp
Winston Choi, Piano
Chris Kim, Conductor

karlhenning

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on December 08, 2007, 04:50:53 PM
i've forgotten to check up on this thread for a while:P
excellent.
Is this how you get all of your music performed?

No, thankfully :-)

QuoteWould there be a similar "call for scores" for orchestras?

ASCAP has an annual call for orchestral scores, for instance;  I think it's called the Nissim Prize.

QuoteIs this something this group does regularly, so would you advise me to write a work with the following instrumentation to submit to them so they can play it if they like? that was a long sentence.

Although this specific occasion was a one-off deal co-sponsored with the American Composers Forum, the group does have an annual call for scores (whose deadline for this year, I think, may recently have passed).  But I'd certainly encourage you to compose something for their instrumentation, and send it in for next year.

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on December 09, 2007, 09:52:59 AM
No, thankfully :-)

ASCAP has an annual call for orchestral scores, for instance;  I think it's called the Nissim Prize.

Although this specific occasion was a one-off deal co-sponsored with the American Composers Forum, the group does have an annual call for scores (whose deadline for this year, I think, may recently have passed).  But I'd certainly encourage you to compose something for their instrumentation, and send it in for next year.
sweeeeeeet
ok, just bookmarked ascap.com

i'm assuming a call for scores would be in the "news" section when it comes up, right?

karlhenning

The music director at First Lutheran Church in Boston's Back Bay, Bálint Karosi, asked me to play in a piece he's written for his choir, a benediction for three-part choir, clarinet and organ, for this coming Sunday.  So after rehearsal at St Paul's last night, I went to an 'extra' choir rehearsal, clarinet in hand.  The choir is quite cosy (perhaps shorter-handed than normal – most of them seem to be students, and so there may be choristers who have already begun vacating for the Christmas holiday), 3-3-3, and a young organist named Andreas.  Bálint's setting of the classic Old Testament benediction, "The Lord bless you," is perhaps a four-minute piece, much of the choral writing is the sort of color-play of the voices using the same group of pitches, though in different rhythmic values, of a sort which I put to different effective use in Nuhro, for instance.  The clarinet part has an agile, quasi-improvisatory character, floating rapidly between widely separated registers, which often 'shines through' the choral texture.  Bálint's piece is very well done, and is a pleasure both to play, and to sing (he rehearsed the choral lines separately at first, so I sang along with the men, for fun).  Hopefully, I'll be able to snag a copy of the tape which will be running on Sunday.

karlhenning

Quote from: Bogey on January 02, 2008, 06:41:49 AM
I am just keeping fingers crossed for an eventual Denver premiere!

It is a piece which has waited a few years for completion, so I cannot at all begrudge Allan his mirth.

But this is the compositional plan for 2008:

a.)  Finish the St John's Passion for St Paul's
b.)  A little wedding music for July
c.)  Complete White Nights

I will not even look at anything else compositionally.

Bogey

And for Castelo dos Anjos to be recorded by Tapestry?  You never know Karl.  Like I pointed out, with their past repertoire on their cds this could very well happen if they should record this year.  Speaking of which.....
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Quote from: Bogey on January 02, 2008, 06:58:59 AM
And for Castelo dos Anjos to be recorded by Tapestry?  You never know Karl.

True, that could possibly happen this year.

But from a compositional standpoint, my work is already done on Castelo dos anjos!  :)

karlhenning

Well, and since Castelo dos anjos was one of the occasional projects which have "interrupted" completion of the ballet, it's a good example of a piece which it was right to drop other things, and compose.

Cato

Quote from: Bogey on January 02, 2008, 06:58:59 AM
And for Castelo dos Anjos to be recorded by Tapestry?  You never know Karl.  Like I pointed out, with their past repertoire on their cds this could very well happen if they should record this year.  Speaking of which.....

...whom do we need to "influence" to make this happen?   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

St Jude, perhaps :-)

I am out a-vacationing starting tomorrow (Saturday), and will be pretty much unplugged for a week (and they said it couldn't be done! Tchah!)

Listen, play and write beautifully!

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on January 04, 2008, 12:01:38 PM
I am out a-vacationing starting tomorrow (Saturday), and will be pretty much unplugged for a week

Cool ....... Now that Karl's away, let's trash the place ........

karlhenning

Bogey

Alright if a few of my old friends drop by while you are gone Karl?

karlhenning

Making great progress on the St John's Passion setting for St Paul's. Posting from an undisclosed roadside location, waiting for my bicycle to emerge from under the knife (or the wrench and sprockets, as it may be . . . .)

karlhenning

Hmm . . . Edmund Hillary was a beekeeper . . . so, If Bach Had Climbed Everest?

BachQ

Bees generate awesome vibrational fields .......

karlhenning

Within forty measures of the close of this Passion setting!