Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on November 24, 2018, 09:37:32 AM
According to what we know by now: Karl is conscious, can stand, can recognize names and usernames, can communicate (albeit slowly). AfaIc, this is excellent news and hopefully leaves plenty of room for further improvement. Deo gratias!

Amen!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Florestan on November 24, 2018, 09:37:32 AM
According to what we know by now: Karl is conscious, can stand, can recognize names and usernames, can communicate (albeit slowly). This is excellent news and hopefully leaves plenty of room for further improvement. Deo gratias!

Yay!
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Cato

From one of Karl's colleagues Sudie Marcuse :

I am keeping Karl in my thoughts and heart, as are everyone in Triad. Remembering the great joy of singing his piece "Mystic Trumpeter" with him last weekend! My deepest sympathy to you, and hope and faith for his full recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/v/7RhH161HhlA&t=11s

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Am cautiously optimistic that Karl will, sooner or later, be able to read all this himself. Loved the Bugs Bunny story.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bwv 1080

Great to hear that while serious, the prognosis for recovery appears good.  Hard to post here about mundane music topics, this forum would be a very poorer place without Karl

Iota

I have little experience of these things, but those do indeed seem like positive signs. Wishing you many more of them! :)

Mirror Image

I wasn't going to come to this forum again until I got a message via Facebook from Scarpia (or whatever his screen name is now) telling me about Karl's condition. Let me say that Karl is one of the nicest guys on this forum. He had forgiven me after I made a complete ass of myself and said something to him that was completely wrong-headed and boorish. He and I have gotten along famously ever since this incident and he's one of the only members on this forum that has actually wanted to genuinely be my friend with no pretense or anything of that sort. I'm completely saddened to hear this has happened and I wish him nothing but the best in his road to recovery. My only hope is that he's up on his feet and fully functioning so he can live his life again.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I think when Karl returns he'll want to see you here, MI.

steve ridgway

It's very good to hear the damage seems to be limited to something physical that can be managed and that there are techniques to recover from. Also that Karl is still able to enjoy music. I certainly wouldn't want to be lying in hospital without any music to listen to - unless it was hospital radio ;).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Zeus

"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 24, 2018, 06:58:25 PM
I wasn't going to come to this forum again until I got a message via Facebook from Scarpia (or whatever his screen name is now) telling me about Karl's condition. Let me say that Karl is one of the nicest guys on this forum. He had forgiven me after I made a complete ass of myself and said something to him that was completely wrong-headed and boorish. He and I have gotten along famously ever since this incident and he's one of the only members on this forum that has actually wanted to genuinely be my friend with no pretense or anything of that sort. I'm completely saddened to hear this has happened and I wish him nothing but the best in his road to recovery. My only hope is that he's up on his feet and fully functioning so he can live his life again.

I cannot verify that Karl's wife visits this website and reads things to him from it, and so I will pass along your sentiments to her directly.

She wrote this late last night:

This year Thanksgiving...frustrating, unfair the least to say. How could I give thanks when life brings such hard blows within minutes? Yet, through this tragedy I found how many people care and how many great friends we have. I'm grateful for all the love and support Karl, mom, and I are receiving in this difficult hour

"Mom" is her mother, who is also an artist, Irina Pisarenko.

André

Karl is on the way to recovery and time will dictate progress. Having friends around - physically or through cyberspace - will be a positive factor. Good vibes to him and his family ! 

cilgwyn

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on November 24, 2018, 07:53:47 PM
I think when Karl returns he'll want to see you here, MI.
Me,too! I miss your contributions!

I'm very glad to hear that Karl is making progress. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: André on November 25, 2018, 05:34:31 AM
Karl is on the way to recovery and time will dictate progress. Having friends around - physically or through cyberspace - will be a positive factor. Good vibes to him and his family !
+1

Cato

From Karl's wife, Maria Bablyak, we have a little news, which she wrote very late last night:

An update. Karl was moved from intensive care unit to less intensive care. Not regular hospital room yet, but a transitional step. He was okay last night, then felt worse during the day, I was worried, but toward the end of the day he was better again. He is listening to music a little bit, but gets tired fast.

No word on the swallowing problem: long holiday weekends are not the best time for treatment at hospitals, or at least the ones in my experience and from the experiences of friends and acquaintances across the country.   

(That includes the opinions of doctors themselves!  ;)  )

Perhaps this week things will start to percolate!

pjme

"Having friends around - physically or through cyberspace - will be a positive factor. Good vibes to him and his family ! "

That's the spirit!

Peter

vandermolen

Good news about the 'not-so-intensive-care'.
Am pleased to hear this.
Also, listening to music sounds encouraging.

Cato

No updates or hints of any kind yet about what is happening...or not happening!

Maria's updates in recent days have arrived very late at night, in some cases after midnight.  So we might not have any news until tomorrow morning.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

We are almost a week from the event. This is probably the transition from the crisis to the slow process of recovery.