Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I'm delighted to report that I had a 'thumbs up' from Karl on Facebook Messenger in response to a get well message I sent when he was first ill. I was very moved to suddenly hear from him out the blue. An encouraging sign.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

What extraordinary news! Karl has proved to be a brave human being with the most ardent desires to live. I just hope his recovery is fast and succesful in all senses. And our pleas and good wishes have had some effect!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on November 29, 2018, 10:06:25 AM
I'm delighted to report that I had a 'thumbs up' from Karl on Facebook Messenger in response to a get well message I sent when he was first ill. I was very moved to suddenly hear from him out the blue. An encouraging sign.

It definitely means more than encouraging symptoms!

Cato

Maria Bablyak (Karl's wife) wrote that Karl is now at an "acute rehab hospital. Healthsouth New England Rehabilitation," but that it is far away.  So she will be trying to have him moved to another hospital.

The website is here:

http://www.healthsouthnewengland.com/

The address is Woburn, which is where they live, but it must not be very close.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

The web site lists a main location in Woburn, and satellite facilities in Lowell and Beverly. He may not be in the main facility.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 29, 2018, 11:05:24 AM
What extraordinary news! Karl has proved to be a brave human being with the most ardent desires to live. I just hope his recovery is fast and succesful in all senses. And our pleas and good wishes have had some effect!
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on November 29, 2018, 10:06:25 AM

Fantastic news. Thanks.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Iota

I'm slightly in the dark as to what this all means in the context of a stroke, but it really does seem promising, which is great news. Keep it up, Karl!  :)

Cato

On top of everything else, Maria has mentioned that her mother has somehow broken a bone in her foot, and is now rather hobbled by wearing a special boot.

"It just goes to show ya: it's always somethin' !"   8)

Cato

Quote from: Cato on November 29, 2018, 11:12:39 AM
Maria Bablyak (Karl's wife) wrote that Karl is now at an "acute rehab hospital. Healthsouth New England Rehabilitation," but that it is far away.  So she will be trying to have him moved to another hospital.

The website is here:

http://www.healthsouthnewengland.com/

The address is Woburn, which is where they live, but it must not be very close.

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on November 29, 2018, 11:15:58 AM
The web site lists a main location in Woburn, and satellite facilities in Lowell and Beverly. He may not be in the main facility.

Maria verified that Karl is in HealthSouth in Woburn.  Whether that is the main hospital, I have no idea. 

She also mentioned that is "very tired" which is understandable.  One FaceBook comment said that he had been in HealthSouth in Florida, and the treatment was excellent,

Keep those prayers coming!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Cato on November 30, 2018, 02:02:12 AM
Maria verified that Karl is in HealthSouth in Woburn.  Whether that is the main hospital, I have no idea. 

She also mentioned that is "very tired" which is understandable.  One FaceBook comment said that he had been in HealthSouth in Florida, and the treatment was excellent,

Hi Cato - thanks for all of your updates on Karl's condition - I must have been on a desert island over the holiday and had not checked here recently - just read through the entire recent pages and posts and visited his wife's FB page.  As with all of his many friends here, I was shocked about hearing this sad news, but coming in at this time was also happy that he is now in a rehab hospital and appears to be improving well.  My fingers are crossed that he regains many of his previous functions - strokes can be devastating and hope that Karl has the best possible outcome.  Dave

Cato

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 30, 2018, 06:04:03 AM
Hi Cato - thanks for all of your updates on Karl's condition - I must have been on a desert island over the holiday and had not checked here recently - just read through the entire recent pages and posts and visited his wife's FB page.  As with all of his many friends here, I was shocked about hearing this sad news, but coming in at this time was also happy that he is now in a rehab hospital and appears to be improving well.  My fingers are crossed that he regains many of his previous functions - strokes can be devastating and hope that Karl has the best possible outcome.  Dave

I am happy to be the town crier for Karl!   8)

Yes, we are all hoping for a return to normal!  I will try to give an afternoon update c. 3:00, if there is any kind of information to relate.

bhodges

Another warm thank-you, Cato, for all these updates. It sounds like Karl is getting the best care possible, which bodes well for the future.

--Bruce

Cato

The best I can relate right now is that a person who visited Karl was pleased to see that he was making progress.

I am hoping that a member of the family will respond later this evening with more information.

JBS

Quote from: Cato on November 30, 2018, 02:02:12 AM

I was the person who made that comment on FB. Maria's response suggested she is a bit skeptical about the staffing in Woburn.

As I understand it, the main alternative is Spaulding Hospital  in Charlestown. It's possibly the best rehab hospital in the Boston area, but getting there from Woburn is not necessarily an easy thing,

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Karl wrote the following to his choir via FaceBook in response to their request for prayers for him:

QuoteEven without a Flux Capacitor the Power of Love just might save my life

8)  It looks like Karl is getting back into form!  0:)

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on November 30, 2018, 05:48:03 PM
Karl wrote the following to his choir via FaceBook in response to their request for prayers for him:

8)  It looks like Karl is getting back into form!  0:)

Great to hear that he is communicating again - thanks Leo.

Cato

Maria sent the following message:

Karl got moved to the acute Rehabilitation hospital. Not the best one, but there is a shortage of beds in such rehabs here. He's feeling better, but his cognitive abilities were affected by the stroke, and it's hard for him to do some simple things and make the right judgment of what he needs and how he feels physically.   Reading and writing are a challenge.  Some parts of his world are not on his radar now, and he'll need to regain awareness of them.   Sometimes he's very responsive, other times he's drifting away somewhere I don't know, as if he's behind a sheer curtain, then he comes back again.   Today he was able to walk a little with the help of a therapist.   A small victory.   He can use his phone a little, but with having difficulties to read, and only one hand functioning, his use of the phone is very limited.

Now prevails a very tempered optimism, I would say, but optimism of some sort must prevail.

amw

If it helps at all, this sounds pretty close to where my mom was a week or so after her TIA—couldn't use one side of her body, slept a lot, impaired senses, etc—and obviously TIAs have much less risk of long-term damage than strokes, but she did end up making a full recovery with a few months of physical therapy. So I'd be cautiously optimistic, but long-term neurological work could be necessary alongside the PT.

Also I imagine his recovery will become more pronounced once he's out of hospital, back in a familiar setting, and in a position to start doing day-to-day tasks again.