Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Karl. So sorry to hear about your crisis.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Cato

Karl wrote that his left hand is still strengthening, gradually, but definitely improving.

He also mentioned that he would be transferred to a different facility in West Newton, which might have happened today, or should happen tomorrow.  I would assume that such a transfer is another step toward recovery.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on December 21, 2018, 03:20:34 PM
Karl wrote that his left hand is still strengthening, gradually, but definitely improving.

He also mentioned that he would be transferred to a different facility in West Newton, which might have happened today, or should happen tomorrow.  I would assume that such a transfer is another step toward recovery.

The transfer to the sub-acute rehab facility will be after the weekend
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Elgarian Redux

I see the GoFundMe fund has leapt up to $12,000 so the total including the Facebook fund is over $20,000.

Great to hear of these steady improvements Karl is making.

Herman

Dear Karl, it's only now that I read about what happened to you.
Words fail me to think what you and yours have been going through, those first days!
And still are.
Wishing you a wonderful Christmas.

Marc

Quote from: Dungeon Master on December 20, 2018, 02:25:59 AM
We have had our own ongoing family health crisis, so I am very late to the game in catching up. I have donated 2018's GMG subscriptions to Karl's GoFundMe campaign.

As a medical person, I have some small understanding of what Karl, his wife and family are going through. My whole-hearted best wishes, Karl, for a speedy and complete recovery. If its slow, then be it steady.

May I offer a small anecdote? When GMG was still a fledgling site, we had a sudden and large influx of members from another well-known forum. I was warned by one of our existing members that I should keep a close eye on a new member called Karl. He was, I was told, a trouble-maker, incendiary and volatile. Nowadays, such a person would be called an internet troll. So when Karl signed up, I made it my special focus to watch everything he posted. My extra-critical eye was watchful for second meanings and anything inflammatory in his posts. It was only after many months of suspicion that I realised that this Karl was probably not the Karl I was warned about, or that I was being trolled by the warning itself. Karl, as you are all aware, has been the most exemplary member on GMG, always courteous and helpful, insightful, tolerant and wise. A credit to our forum! Thank you, Karl for your contribution to GMG and may it continue well into the future.

cheers
Rob

Well, he is a trouble maker, causing me nightmares... from the first day I am a member here, I always hear him chortling in my sleep! :laugh:

Nuff blabbering: thanks for the story and the GMG contribution is an awesome gesture. Thumbs up.

Karl Henning

Grateful to be on the mend, the goal is full recovery
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Good for you Karl; keep it up. A positive mind set is very important in situations like this.

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 23, 2018, 05:18:37 AM
Grateful to be on the mend, the goal is full recovery

0:)  Amen!!!   0:)

(poco) Sforzando

I am pleased you are doing so well.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on December 21, 2018, 10:40:51 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Karl. So sorry to hear about your crisis.
+ 1, wholeheartedly.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Merry Christmas, Karl! May Santa bring you a speedy and full recovery. God bless you and all your loved ones!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Rons_talking

Cato

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Karl!

I just wanted to mention that before Handel composed The Messiah, he had suffered a stroke!  And later he was losing his eyesight while he composed Samson.   0:)

Karl Henning

The great gain over the past couple of days has been I can pinch between my left index finger and thumb, who knew I could get so excited about such a minor operation?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on December 24, 2018, 05:12:31 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS, Karl!

I just wanted to mention that before Handel composed The Messiah, he had suffered a stroke!  And later he was losing his eyesight while he composed Samson.   0:)

They've been telling me that musicians as a class recover well from stroke
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 24, 2018, 05:58:21 AM
The great gain over the past couple of days has been I can pinch between my left index finger and thumb, who knew I could get so excited about such a minor operation?

Hey, that means that you could hold a baton in your left had. You may not be able to wave it yet but that is your next goal  ;D