Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Cross posting. I know this is a midi run through, but it more than gives a favourable impression of the work, followed by the rest of the movements. I want to hear this performed.

Quote from: foxandpeng on February 02, 2022, 05:43:51 AM
Symphony 1, Karl Henning

First listen.

https://youtu.be/-WCZ77mt2aE

Yes, Karl. Very much, yes.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on February 02, 2022, 05:48:43 AM
Cross posting. I know this is a midi run through, but it more than gives a favourable impression of the work, followed by the rest of the movements. I want to hear this performed.

I'm hoping!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Don't recall if I have mentioned it, but my When (alto flute and choir) is on for the March Triad concerts, after all. It is going well in rehearsal. One of our rules is that a composer does not conduct his/her own piece. Essentially another opportunity for collaboration. The conductor has really gotten inside the piece, and is getting the choir to tell the story of the text.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Overall, a very good Triad rehearsal last night, and I'm very enthusiastic about the program: three non-Triad composers will come in for the concerts!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

krummholz

Great news, Karl! Wish I could be there...

Karl Henning

Quote from: krummholz on February 16, 2022, 04:28:51 AM
Great news, Karl! Wish I could be there...

Do keep in mind a choral piece to write for us!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

You know, I am a most fortunate man. I don't mean only in having survived a severe stroke, and in how well my recovery is going (I mean, yes, it's slow and arduous, but there is continued progress.) I just got a letter from my pre-stroke employer notifying me of my retirement (the last information I had previously led to me believe that at some point they would consider me to have voluntarily resigned.) I am enormously pleased that I have retired rather than resigned (plus there is some modest exit compensation which goes with that distinction—I didn't know that, either.) So in ways which are (frankly) surprising for a financial corporation, my erstwhile employer was really humane to me through all this.
Today, I had a lovely phone call with Jack Gallagher, the composer I studied with at Wooster. I have mentioned this here on GMG before so I needn't be cagey here now. It is a blessing to have such a warm friendship with a former instructor.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 16, 2022, 04:53:55 PM
You know, I am a most fortunate man. I don't mean only in having survived a severe stroke, and in how well my recovery is going (I mean, yes, it's slow and arduous, but there is continued progress.) I just got a letter from my pre-stroke employer notifying me of my retirement (the last information I had previously led to me believe that at some point they would consider me to have voluntarily resigned.) I am enormously pleased that I have retired rather than resigned (plus there is some modest exit compensation which goes with that distinction—I didn't know that, either.) So in ways which are (frankly) surprising for a financial corporation, my erstwhile employer was really humane to me through all this.
Today, I had a lovely phone call with Jack Gallagher, the composer I studied with at Wooster. I have mentioned this here on GMG before so I needn't be cagey here now. It is a blessing to have such a warm friendship with a former instructor.

Sometimes Like can produce the occasional pleasant surprise, Karl. Continued good health to you, Sir.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

krummholz

Glad to hear that your health continues to improve, Karl, and I hope that "modest" exit compensation isn't too meagre...

krummholz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 16, 2022, 05:50:27 AM
Do keep in mind a choral piece to write for us!

Actually I was thinking of that the other day as some random choral ideas were running through my head after revisiting Brian's Gothic... I have never written anything for choir, so that would be a major undertaking for me. Haven't dismissed the idea though, and might try to give it a whirl this summer.

Karl Henning

Quote from: krummholz on February 19, 2022, 10:54:00 AM
Actually I was thinking of that the other day as some random choral ideas were running through my head after revisiting Brian's Gothic... I have never written anything for choir, so that would be a major undertaking for me. Haven't dismissed the idea though, and might try to give it a whirl this summer.

Very good!

I'm back from a 2-5 rehearsal with Triad. Wonderfully productive rehearsal, and it did not feel like a three-hour rehearsal. That said, I'm pretty tuckered out now.

Quote from: krummholz on February 19, 2022, 10:51:17 AM
Glad to hear that your health continues to improve, Karl, and I hope that "modest" exit compensation isn't too meagre...

It was large enough to be an agreeable surprise, and not a sarcasm 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Excellent news, Karl!

Officially retired!   But not from the vocation of COMPOSER!!!   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

relm1

Wow, I had no idea!  You are very fortunate indeed.  That's very wonderful that you have a solid support network too!  All best wishes to you!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

This is truly a wonderful thing to read from you, Karl. You are more than fortunate --- you are blessed. Someone is looking out for you and for that, we all must give thanks. Continued success, my friend!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2022, 07:27:14 PM
This is truly a wonderful thing to read from you, Karl. You are more than fortunate --- you are blessed. Someone is looking out for you and for that, we all must give thanks. Continued success, my friend!

Well said.

Three cheers, Karl !  :-*