Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

I had been writing quite a few pieces for the choir of the First Congregational Church in Woburn, Massachusetts, of generally modest dimensions.  Pascha nostrum was the first piece I wrote which sort of 'tested' the outer limits of duration for use in the service.  In those days, organist Bill Goodwin would engage a brass quintet for Easter Sunday, and the Sunday before Christmas (or, the Sunday on which Christmas should fall).  I did actually write Pascha nostrum in 'layers';  I began with writing the choral passages (and already aimed for a choir larger and more capable than at First Congo, which even at that time could not really sustain full four-part writing), knowing where I wanted instrumental 'punctuation';  and then I added the brass quintet and organ.  At which point I thought of the piece in this tout ensemble fashion.

A few years later, when I was serving as the Interim Choir Director at the Cathedral Church of St Paul, I thought it a shame that the piece should not be sung in Boston, simply because of the impracticality of hiring a quintet (Easter Sunday, of course, brass quintets command enormous fees, demand and supply, and all that, and good on 'em, says I).  So I 'rediscovered' how I had originally composed the piece, and realized that it would fly perfectly well as an unaccompanied anthem.  We sang it back then (Easter of 2003), and actually, time enough has passed that I believe we will sing it in Easter season at St Paul's again this year.

The original brass scoring is for quintet, but I now need to accomodate a tp(2)/tn(2) quartet.  Losing the tuba is no great problem, as the organ can speak the bottom of the chords;  and the gist of the brass is the brilliant fanfares, which just see the tuba puffing a bit on the side.  So I just need to convert the horn part to trombone;  may possibly need to make just a few minor adjustments in making the original trombone part into Trombone II.

If it all works out, I believe this will be the first my music will be played within the five boroughs of New York City.

karlhenning

Quote from: Dm on February 22, 2008, 07:18:56 PM
Why isn't "nostrum" capitalized?

In Latin sacred music titles, normally only the first word and names are capitalized.

Hence, e.g.:

Benedicta et venerabilis
Christe, qui lux es et dies
Missa O magnum mysterium

karlhenning

toledobass

Quote from: karlhenning on February 22, 2008, 07:07:09 PM
Allan, have I not yet sent you aught of my music?

no scores,  no performances,  no midi, none, zip, zero, zilch. I keep thinking a DVD of White Nights will just arrive to surprise me one day and that could be 1) my introduction to Henning and, maybe better for you, 2) the end of any ammunition I have against you. :P

Allan 

karlhenning

Well, I am in disgrace by you, Allan.  I must do something about that . . . .

karlhenning

Hm. Didn't complete a thought . . . .

Quote from: karlhenning on February 22, 2008, 07:22:47 PM
I had been writing quite a few pieces for the choir of the First Congregational Church in Woburn, Massachusetts, of generally modest dimensions.  Pascha nostrum was the first piece I wrote which sort of 'tested' the outer limits of duration for use in the service . . .

With the instrumental accompaniment, the piece clocks at about eight and a half minutes.

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on February 22, 2008, 08:40:27 PM
no scores,  no performances,  no midi, none, zip, zero, zilch. I keep thinking a DVD of White Nights will just arrive to surprise me one day and that could be 1) my introduction to Henning and, maybe better for you, 2) the end of any ammunition I have against you. :P

Allan 

With Karl's music Allan, this quote came to mind:

Willy Wonka: But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he he always wanted.
Charlie Bucket: What happened?
Willy Wonka: He lived happily ever after.  ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Thank you indeed, Bill, for a most kind and gracious thought!

karlhenning

All right, the reconfigured brass parts for Pascha nostrum are now ready.

greg

Quote from: Bogey on February 23, 2008, 09:35:46 AM
With Karl's music Allan, this quote came to mind:

Willy Wonka: But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he he always wanted.
Charlie Bucket: What happened?
Willy Wonka: He lived happily ever after.  ;)

lol, that's more or less a point i made on another thread.

karlhenning

Quote from: Dm on June 05, 2007, 11:26:37 AM
Quote from: Bogeyjust wondering what classical category you would place your music in

Breakbeat hardcore

Proof! The breakbeat hardcore sensation, Out in the Sun

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/Instrumental/09%20-%20Track%20%209.mp3[/mp3]

Guido

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on March 04, 2008, 08:00:38 AM
Breakbeat hardcore

Proof! The breakbeat hardcore sensation, Out in the Sun

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/Instrumental/09%20-%20Track%20%209.mp3[/mp3]
wow, i love it!  :D
such a refreshing work...... to me, very original sounding- i can hardly think of any music that sounds like it at all.

I also liked the review of Shosty's 4th, too.

karlhenning

karlhenning

20 June 2007:

Three Things that Begin with 'C', Opus 65, clarinet & viola (2002)

Karl Henning, clarinet
Peter Cama-Lekx, viola

Cathedral Church of St Paul
138 Tremont Street, Boston, Massachusetts

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/Instrumental/07%20-%20Track%20%207.mp3[/mp3]

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on March 04, 2008, 10:45:10 AM
[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/Instrumental/07%20-%20Track%20%207.mp3[/mp3]
thanks for posting audio files of your works!

that one sounds like it has more of a detectable influence of Stravinsky and Shostakovich in some parts.... though Out in the Sun (later work, right?) sounds basically, your own.