Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on February 08, 2023, 05:31:21 PMThere is a lot of insight in your analysis. It pointed out to me some things of which I was not full-frontally aware.

And that places you with the best artists!  Allowing things to happen unconsciously is a key to transcending mediocrity.

Being too conscious of everything in an artwork will practically guarantee a contrived and uninteresting result.  e.g. Writers who pre-plan everything, even the symbolism, will end up with a calculated and shallow story.  The characters will become puppets or cardboard cut-outs following a script and will have no free will.

Thomas Mann once wrote to a professor who had written an analysis of Der Zauberberg (The Magic Mountain).

Mann thanked him for his effort and said that the essay revealed many things to him which he had never noticed!

But again, that is as it should be!   :)   

The composer needs to follow where the musical ideas lead, and not force them down pre-set paths: that discovery, the discovery of where the musical idea wants to go and how it wants to develop, is part of the excitement of creation, and that excitement will be transferred to the listener.  Like a character in a novel, the motif, the theme, whatever the musical idea might be called, needs free will to do what it wants!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

I've had to inform Heinrich that the Henning Ensemble will be unable to mount a concert for our April date. I've told him that I'll reach out when we're earworthy again. One reason is that our hornist-composer Pam Marshall has repatriated to Portugal. And another member has suffered the loss of her husband, and is therefore simply overwhelmed by logistical concerns, atop her grief.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

My friend Todd Brunel asked today if I had something for clarinet and piano. I've sent him the Clarinet Sonata. We shall see.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on March 01, 2023, 10:52:05 AMMy friend Todd Brunel asked today if I had something for clarinet and piano. I've sent him the Clarinet Sonata. We shall see.
That's awesome!

Karl Henning

Thanks!  He'll pass it on to his collaborative pianist, and they're meeting tomorrow, so at the least, eyes will look it over.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on March 01, 2023, 05:00:58 PMThanks!  He'll pass it on to his collaborative pianist, and they're meeting tomorrow, so at the least, eyes will look it over.

A good start! Best wishes.

Cato

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on March 01, 2023, 10:52:05 AMMy friend Todd Brunel asked today if I had something for clarinet and piano. I've sent him the Clarinet Sonata. We shall see.

Quote from: relm1 on March 01, 2023, 04:29:40 PMThat's awesome!

AMEN!  Excellent news! 

We need more of Karl's music: spread the good news of musical salvation!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Courtesy of Facebook, this was a post I wrote 11 March 2019:

QuoteI've begun work on a new piece for Ensemble Aubade, something of a companion piece to Oxygen Footprint. I have indeed been thinking about such a piece since my time in rehab, although the piece as I have started working in earnest now, is of a somewhat different character than my initial conception, or it may be that the original idea may serve for a coda, rather than as the principal material. I am thinking about 4 or 5 minutes for the new piece, which I am calling Swiss Skis.
Since I'm not much composing this year (so far?) this was a nice reminder.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on March 11, 2023, 11:15:34 AMCourtesy of Facebook, this was a post I wrote 11 March 2019:
Since I'm not much composing this year (so far?) this was a nice reminder.
Swiss Skis....movie scored by KH starring Roger Federer and family?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Holy cow! A classmate sent me my high school yearbook photo ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 11, 2023, 11:45:42 AMHoly cow! A classmate sent me my high school yearbook photo ....
Oh, my!

Now who came up with the bit about "mercenary musician......"?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Luke

LOVE this photo  8)  8)   But it raises many mysteries!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Luke on March 11, 2023, 01:21:14 PMLOVE this photo  8)  8)   But it raises many mysteries!
Yep!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 11, 2023, 11:45:42 AMHoly cow! A classmate sent me my high school yearbook photo ....

Impressive!

Karl Henning

Just now home from church. My choir did very nicely, and I've got our music all taped out through Easter. A solid morning's work--and in spite of the onerous time change!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 12, 2023, 08:48:16 AMJust now home from church. My choir did very nicely, and I've got our music all taped out through Easter. A solid morning's work--and in spite of the onerous time change!

To paraphrase Chief Dan George: "Only the white man would change a clock and think he has saved daylight!"   8)

Glad to hear the good news!

Karl Henning

I get blast emails from the American Composers Forum, an organization which, bluntly, hasn't done the least thing for me yet this century. Today's message is an invitation to a webinar Wednesday on networking with orchestras. Although my expectations are lower than a hungry snake's belly in a wheel trough, registration is free, and it won't rise to the level of being useless to me, if I don't participate. And, hard-earned pessimism aside, what if some actual benefit results?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 20, 2023, 10:37:51 AMI get blast emails from the American Composers Forum, an organization which, bluntly, hasn't done the least thing for me yet this century. Today's message is an invitation to a webinar Wednesday on networking with orchestras. Although my expectations are lower than a hungry snake's belly in a wheel trough, but registration is free, and it won't rise to the level of being useless to me, if I don't participate. And, hard-earned pessimism aside, what if some actual benefit results?

True!  You might as well give it a try, given that there is no registration fee.