Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on March 04, 2008, 11:00:14 AM
that one sounds like it has more of a detectable influence of Stravinsky and Shostakovich in some parts....

The Cats and the Clouds had as (none the closest) models Bartók and Debussy, respectively.  For the Canaries I just wanted to write something of an Italianate tarantella.

karlhenning

Though, of course, Stravinsky is no great distance from the Cats, I suppose.

karlhenning

Music of Karl Henning

Canzona & Gigue, Op. 77 (clarinet and organ)

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/Instrumental/03%20-%20Track%20%203.mp3[/mp3]
[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/Instrumental/04%20-%20Track%20%204.mp3[/mp3]

Karl Henning, clarinet
Mark Engelhardt, organ

Irreplaceable Doodles, Op. 89 (clarinet unaccompanied)

Karl Henning, clarinet

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/Instrumental/08%20-%20Track%20%208.mp3[/mp3]

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on March 05, 2008, 05:20:48 AM
Music of Karl Henning

Canzona & Gigue, Op. 77 (clarinet and organ)

A brilliant performance of a brilliant composition! ........ 0:)

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on March 04, 2008, 08:00:38 AM
Breakbeat hardcore

Proof! The breakbeat hardcore sensation, Out in the Sun

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/Instrumental/09%20-%20Track%20%209.mp3[/mp3]

Awesome!  Thanks for posting, Karl ........  8)

karlhenning

An even more impressive aspect of the performance by the NEC winds is, that the last section actually should be a bit slower 'recap' . . . and I varied the recap with busier note-age, figuring on a slower tempo.  In the event, they didn't slow it down 'enough', but they're still all negotiating those notes.

BachQ

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on March 04, 2008, 09:46:20 AM
wow, i love it!  :D
such a refreshing work...... to me, very original sounding- i can hardly think of any music that sounds like it at all.

As to Out in the Sun:

If I were to pinpoint one possible influence ........... perhaps John Adams ..........

greg

Quote from: Dm on March 05, 2008, 07:30:09 AM
As to Out in the Sun:

If I were to pinpoint one possible influence ........... perhaps John Adams ..........
ok, i was thinking Adams...... still, i don't think Adams could've written it.

BachQ

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on March 05, 2008, 07:42:20 PM
ok, i was thinking Adams...... still, i don't think Adams could've written it.

Whether composer X "could have written" composer Y's piece isn't the question ...... The issue is detecting possible  upstream compositional influences..

greg

Quote from: Dm on March 05, 2008, 08:10:12 PM
Whether composer X "could have written" composer Y's piece isn't the question ...... The issue is detecting possible  upstream compositional influences..

hmmmmmm what do you think, Karl?

karlhenning

That no particular minimalist was any specific influence;  but yes, generally, the idea of the piece was, to take elements from minimalism, and to fashion a composition as I think of composition.

karlhenning

I think I've brought this forward before (maybe more than once), but this is a good time to recall it:

Quote from: Lukas FossThe musicologists are so happy, in a self-indulgent way, when they can point out the influences. But that's not what's important. What's important is that the composer transforms those influences, and makes them his own. Which reminds me of a wonderful Stravinsky statement. He once said, "You must always steal, but never from yourself." What he meant by that is quite obvious. When you steal from yourself you learn nothing. When you steal from others, you enrich your vocabulary.

Ephemerid

Wow, Karl!  Is this the first time you've posted audio files here before, because I couldn't find any before?  (I noramlly use Firefox, maybe something wasn't installed? I dunno...)

Anyway, I'll stick to just to comment on for now, with Out in the Sun.  How big of a wind ensemble is that anyway? 

I love how it starts off all "chattery" over that drone-- it makes me think of chattering birds and humans and general morning busy-ness.  I know you may not have had any very specific imagery in mind, but that's what I'm getting out of it.  :)

I love how it strats off rather upbeat, but gets very contemplative halfway through... I love those rich kind of low chords.  It just occurred to me, there's no flute!  I could just listen to those rich chords all day long. 

I really love the sound of the piece, Karl-- I defintely want to listen to it again!  :)  Thanks for putting that up!

~~~

I suppose the reason Stravinsky comes to mind is the wind instruments and the type of sonorities you're getting in some places brings his Symphonies of Wind Instruments.  And there's lots of neat shiffting little melodic fragments floating around, but beyond that, the comparison easily stops I think.  There's a certain kind of humour and a "sunniness"  ;) that is not in Stravinsky's work.

As far as the minimalist element, it is an *element* in the piece, but it isn't WHAT the piece is about, if that makes any sense.  What I mean is, minimalist music seems to me to be very self-referential, whereas in this piece it is used as a textural element, rather than actually determining the actual course the music should take (don't get me wrong, I love Steve Reich and other minimalists, but because the means and the ends are identical, there's only so much you can do with it-- then again, I suppose that's the point LOL).  John Adams isn't really a strict minimalist either, but again, I think that Adams' utilisation of minimalistic *elements* (rather than hardcore minimalism ala Reich, Glass, Palestine, et al) is about as far as that comparison goes.

p.s. excellent and appropriate quote from Foss!

karlhenning

Quote from: just josh on March 06, 2008, 06:14:51 AM
Anyway, I'll stick to just to comment on for now, with Out in the Sun.  How big of a wind ensemble is that anyway?

Ten pieces: 2 cl (2nd = b cl), 4 sx (s/a/t/bar), 2 tn, b tn, ta

Thanks, Josh!

BachQ

karlhenning

Ephemerid

Quote from: just josh on March 06, 2008, 06:14:51 AM
Anyway, I'll stick to just to comment on for now, with Out in the Sun

Jeez, I was in a rush typing that nonsensical statement (though I know you know what I meant LOL):

"Anyway, I'll just stick to one comment for now..."

Interesting that its all lower-end wind instruments. 

I'll take a listen to more later on today & I want to hear Out in the Sun more loudly on better speakers tonight.  :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Dm on March 05, 2008, 07:09:41 AM
A brilliant performance of a brilliant composition! ........ 0:)

I hoped you would like that, especially with the D minor passage in the middle of the Gigue8)

BachQ

Greta

Lovely to see all discovering the sunny joy:D

I love the instrumentation (great use of saxophones), and waxed lyrical to Karl about this piece before...I would love to perform it if we had the players at our school...

I wouldn't say John Adams comes to mind, more Reich or to me Michael Torke, there was a piece I was looking at for our quartet that I remembered that it reminds me of, it's called "July".

Here is a clip.

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/13/981279/torke-julyclip.mp3[/mp3]

I like Karl's piece better though, because I love the chorales, and the way the brass trio plays off the woodwinds (and it is less repetitive)!