Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

On the whole, yesterday's premiere of the Passion went well.  Of course, I could readily draw up a list of 50 items which want improvement, or modification, or just plain wanted happening, and I wish there had been the opportunity to address these (in many cases, preventively) in rehearsal -- and the opportunity simply was not made available to me. But nothing that went amiss was 'fatal'.  And considering it was the first public performance of a 40-minute piece for unaccompanied choir, and that it did not get started until the choir had already been singing off-&-on for 3 hours (the call was 11, and the Good Friday service started as 12), and that it was scheduled in Holy Week when there's a lot else on the choir's plate . . . truly, the composer is well content to say, "on the whole, good."

One added bonus is, that a friend of mine kindly agreed to operate a video camera, so that in addition to the audio recording, there is a visual document of the event.

lukeottevanger

That's wonderful Karl! Must have been a tense time for you. I look forward to hearing or seeing something soon.  :D :D :D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on March 22, 2008, 10:24:57 AM
so that in addition to the audio recording, there is a visual document of the event.

You know where to post the audio/video ..........

karlhenning

Luke & Bill, thanks!

Quote from: Dm on March 22, 2008, 02:08:06 PM
You know where to post the audio/video ..........

I do; what I do not know, is when either will be in my possession, mon vieux  8)

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on March 22, 2008, 04:46:14 PM
I do; what I do not know, is when either will be in my possession, mon vieux  8)

Karl, if you need instructions on how to post audio or video clips, GMG's best authority on that subject is Jochanaan!  :D

karlhenning

I stopped in at the Cathedral today. No idea yet when a recording of the Passion will be had; Ed looked pretty wiped out, and his wife was just appointed a vice president of some board or other, very exciting but it's also a big drain on her time and attention. Anyway, Ethel the Cathedral administrator is having a most productive week, since the clergy are away this week, and therefore do not badger her.   She reports that the Dean liked the Passion a great deal, doubly surprising, as he appears generally not to care for sung settings of the Passion Gospel. The Dean had not given me quite that strong an impression of liking, but then, it wasn't quite the time for exchanging that sort of chat, at the end of the Good Friday Liturgy. The longer-term effect is, we have the go-ahead to sing 'er again next Holy Week. So this seems, at least, not to be the last we've heard of the Henning Opus 92.

karlhenning

Alas, I learn that no recording was made of Pascha nostrum on Easter.  Wish I had known earlier;  you never know, arrangements might have been made.

Ah, well.

Lilas Pastia

First time I notice this thread  ::) :-[. I posted yesteday about some Henning works I've listened to recently. So, for the benefit of Mr Kite, here is a copy and paste:
More Karl Henning works (sacred vocal and instrumental-clarinetal). A collection of short vocal works is absolutely enchanting. The more festive and 'pastoral' events seem to elicit from Dr. Henning some particularly felicitous vocal writing. Everything I hear here is worth singling out, but the last items on the disc (as per Henning's own ordering) are particularly beautiful, life affirming pieces: Mary's Song, Simeon's Song and the concluding Nativity work, (Hodie), where ethereal voices chant high above a solo clarinet intoning the Christmas story in its baritone register. Magical!.

The other collection of instrumental works features the clarinet in various combinations (including a cl quartet!). Although I'd be hard put to call them memorable, each has a distinct character that quietly grabs the attention. IOW these are quality  musical moments that don't need any throat clearing to make themselves noticed and invite repeated exposure - which they're getting as my 'in car listening' program of the week  ;D.

karlhenning

Cruising music! Je suis arrivĂ©!  ;D

Delighted that you are enjoying the music, André, thank you.

Lilas Pastia

My pleasure, Karl. One feature of your music that I find constant - and constantly satisfying - is your refusal to dawdle. You get to the point and when it's made, it's over. This helps give a clear shape and character to your works. Modern composers have a tendency to get lost in the proceedings and as a consequence shape and structure are compromised, and listener interest is lost. 

karlhenning

Well, as sometimes it will happen this way . . .

Yesterday I received word from Brett that he and his affianced have decided on the Psalm for the wedding.  And, after sleeping on it, this morning I composed the Antiphon and Psalm-tone, and also set down at last an Alleluia which was one of the first things I thought up, back when we were first discussing the music.

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on April 01, 2008, 03:40:03 PM
Alas, I learn that no recording was made of Pascha nostrum on Easter.  Wish I had known earlier;  you never know, arrangements might have been made.

Ah, well.

That is too bad Karl.  Will it get another run in the near future?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on April 01, 2008, 03:40:03 PM

Ah, well.

:'(  :'(

Bogey

Technology is to blame here gentlemen.  Whatever happened to the good ol' days when some punk would sit in the front row and tape the show with his taperecorder under his winter jacket and then make poor quality copies for all his friends....and then ten years later, these recordings are selling for a mint.   What we need is more Henning boot-legs! 8)

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on April 05, 2008, 07:23:52 PM
Technology is to blame here gentlemen.  Whatever happened to the good ol' days when some punk would sit in the front row and tape the show with his taperecorder under his winter jacket and then make poor quality copies for all his friends....and then ten years later, these recordings are selling for a mint.   What we need is more Henning boot-legs! 8)

That punk is called sidoze. ;D

karlhenning

Tchah, why's David 'gone guest'?

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on April 06, 2008, 03:34:00 PM

He waited all morning and afternoon for you to respond to his witty post ........ but alas ..........

karlhenning

Oh, go on, make a chap feel awful . . . .

Catison

Quote from: karlhenning on April 06, 2008, 03:34:00 PM

Patience and calmness are not of his virtues.
-Brett