Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on May 04, 2008, 05:44:28 AM
In the mood for Henning's Hodie, my favourite piece so far 0:).

And you know, curiously, that recording is (IIRC) of a Mother's Day performance . . . .

karlhenning

At yesterday's service at the Cathedral, the St Paul's choir sang Nuhro as an extended choral prelude, and Pascha nostrum at the communion. Overall they went very well. The 'perfect' performance of Nuhro continues to elude us; still, yesterday's performance made some gains on earlier performances. This makes the fourth public performance of the piece; and given the difficulties of the piece, and the length (which together have been at odds with rehearsal logistics/conditions), the composer must be grateful that such a 'bar' of a piece has been given so many chances. Tape was running, though I do not know yet how it's come out. I am curious to hear how Pascha nostrum came across . . . I made a decision earlier that I would leave interpretation to Ed. On one hand, I was largely satisfied with the choir's performance of this two Easters past; on the other, I've wanted to resist the idea that specifics of that outing should be lastingly (or, better said, restrictively) normative. Thus Ed's general tempo was a shade slower than I paced the choir through two years ago, for instance; but I think it was still musical and apt.

In the case of Pascha nostrum, too, this was the fourth performance.  It has been sung twice each as an unaccompanied anthem, and with the organ-&-brass accompaniment;  and in contrast to Nuhro, which has yet to find another choir to give it a shot, Pascha nostrum has been sung now in Woburn, in Boston, and in Brooklyn.

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on May 05, 2008, 04:44:13 AM
At yesterday's service at the Cathedral, the St Paul's choir sang Nuhro as an extended choral prelude, and Pascha nostrum at the communion. Overall they went very well. The 'perfect' performance of Nuhro continues to elude us;

So the choir has the talent to attain that perfect performance, and it's just a matter of more practice, or...?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Well, mind you, 'perfection' here is a modest enough goal.  There are things which did not go quite right (though none fatal), which this choir are capable of doing right.  Ed kept bumping rehearsal of this piece later;  and while he agreed to my request of having (at least) one run-through before the performance, (a) we were missing many people at that run-through rehearsal, and (b) we did not have the run-through in the Cathedral space.  So there was a tricky passage which we sang fine up in the rehearsal room, which went funky yesterday;  and a couple of the people who had not been there Wednesday made slight errors (easily recoverable) in rhythm/counting yesterday.

karlhenning

Spent downtime yester even by revisiting music already wrapped up for White Nights.

I still find it musically agreeable, and am confirmed in wishfully desiring to complete it  8)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Harry on May 04, 2008, 07:20:30 AM
Dear friends and Karl, let it be known that through some small effort on my side, Karl's Magnificat will be performed in Holland on the 24 and 31 of May 2008, by a very good Choir.
I have played many times through the score of this piece, and my admiration is growing every time. A fine and well written choir work, of great dimensions, so congratulations Karl, well done.
It will be recorded and possibly filmed, and I am sure copies will be available either through Karl, or me. :)

It's a pity the concert venues are not within easy reach (I live in the southwest of the country, and the performances are in the northeast), otherwise I would have attended. But I'll certainly buy a CD through Harry.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Here in New England, Johan, there is a traditional caution: You can't get there from here  :(

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on May 06, 2008, 04:12:13 AM
Here in New England, Johan, there is a traditional caution: You can't get there from here  :(

After our year in Atlanta, we discovered that this statement is literally true too often down there!

Thanks for the update on White Nights!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Thanks, Cato! Not really an update, as resumption of work on the ballet awaits the completion of some wedding music!  But all of it (wedding music, and the conclusion of the ballet) is a contrast in affect from the Passion  :)

karlhenning

Worked on recessional music this morning on the bus. Fun, really  ;)

karlhenning

All right, just to get this out of my system.

There was a guest ensemble who played a concert at the Cathedral Saturday night.  They tampered with the sound system, made sure they got their own precious recording, didn't bother restoring the Cathedral sound system after they were done.  Didn't bother to inform anyone, either.

The result?

Ed thought he was recording my two pieces in Sunday morning's performance, but thanks to our selfish, piggish "guests" of Saturday night, the "recording" is blank. Dead silence. No record of the choir's performance.

Damned asses.

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on May 08, 2008, 04:26:33 AM
Ed thought he was recording my two pieces in Sunday morning's performance, but thanks to our selfish, piggish "guests" of Saturday night, the "recording" is blank. Dead silence. No record of the choir's performance.

Perhaps, unbeknownst to you, Ed was recording a performance of 4'33" instead ...........

karlhenning

Ed was himself unaware of the iron hand that Fate was slipping into the velvet catcher's mitt . . . .

karlhenning

On the brighter side, continued work on a bride's entrance, on the bus-ride this morning.

Perhaps the bride should be brought down the aisle on wheels? (Note to self . . . .)

[ I first wrote: On the brighter side, continued work on a bride's entrance on the bus-ride this morning . . . but felt that a judicious comma might be in order. ]

Catison

Quote from: karlhenning on May 08, 2008, 04:50:32 AM
On the brighter side, continued work on a bride's entrance, on the bus-ride this morning.

Perhaps the bride should be brought down the aisle on wheels? (Note to self . . . .)

[ I first wrote: On the brighter side, continued work on a bride's entrance on the bus-ride this morning . . . but felt that a judicious comma might be in order. ]

I will make the suggestion, but if I get in trouble, I'm going to blame you!
-Brett

greg

i don't think i'd wanna go to THAT wedding :D

karlhenning

Quote from: Catison on May 08, 2008, 04:54:12 AM
I will make the suggestion, but if I get in trouble, I'm going to blame you!

You might wait until after the knot is tied, then!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Commas are a force for good.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

That's just what the chap on the MBTA said, Johan;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on May 08, 2008, 06:07:58 AM
That's just what the chap on the MBTA said, Johan;)

A very literate bunch, those public transport guys in Boston!