Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: M forever on August 29, 2008, 04:16:44 PM
No, I think that's an actual word.
interesting....... i guess it would be the adjective form, but i can't remember the last time seeing it, so writing it felt like i was just making it up.

greg

Hey, did anyone catch the theme from Petrushka at the end of Mousetrap? It hard to miss......

btw, is that from a Russian folksong?

karlhenning

A waltz by Lanner . . . so a quotation of a quotation.

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on August 30, 2008, 09:28:56 AM
A waltz by Lanner . . . so a quotation of a quotation.
i bet you wouldn't have used it if it weren't in Petrushka  ;)

karlhenning

Well . . . I used other things that aren't in Petrushka . . . .

J.Z. Herrenberg

Current statistics:

Henning, Irreplaceable Doodles, downloaded 30 times

Henning, The Mousetrap, downloaded 37 times

Henning, The Passion according to St John, downloaded 55 times
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to listen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Latest statistics:

Henning, Irreplaceable Doodles, downloaded 31 times

Henning, The Mousetrap, downloaded 41 times

Henning, The Passion according to St John, downloaded 58 times
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on September 03, 2008, 01:28:14 PM
It's between the 49th and 55th second... DSCH is also present at one point, as another poster already remarked. I like the sonority of viola plus clarinet.

(The same Tristan allusion returns between 18:51-18:58)

I'll check into that, Johan.  Your question takes me aback, a little, for I did make something of a compositional game (though the piece is not all gaming) of including references to several composers . . . only Wagner wasn't really one of them.

The Royal Theme from the Musical Offering assumes fairly regular importance in The Mousetrap, it crops up in a variety of guises and textures.  At one point, its inversion flirts with becoming almost a Debussy allusion.  One section is a game on the triplet ostinato from the Moonlight Sonata, which winds up stubbornly hewing to the Bach/Frederick motive.  There's a lilting idea which actually refers to what Gary Cooper's character calls "a sentimental Viennese schmaltz" in Love in the Afternoon, "Fascination";  although I borrow its characteristic gesture, I don't allow it to be itself, a waltz . . . so in a way, the citation of the Lanner waltz later, ties in with that (in my curious thinking).  There's a fleeting Brahms reference, which is a pun on the scoring, from the E-flat clarinet sonata (which violists also play).  And references to two Shostakovich symphonies, the first movement of the Tenth, and the last movement of the Fifteenth (itself a return to the opening theme of the first movement).

karlhenning

Now, the fact is that I don't yet know Tristan particularly well.  And, ironically, in Love in the Afternoon, when Audrey Hepburn hums the tune "Fascination," and her father asks her what that is . . . and she had told her father that she was going to the opera . . . she fibs, and replies, "Tristan and Isolde, Papa."

"Funny, I have a feeling I've heard it before," responds Maurice Chevalier, "and it wasn't at the Opera."

Michael

Quote from: Jezetha on September 03, 2008, 04:06:39 PM
Latest statistics:

Henning, Irreplaceable Doodles, downloaded 31 times

Henning, The Mousetrap, downloaded 41 times

Henning, The Passion according to St John, downloaded 58 times

May I ask where it is possible to download this music?(Maybe there is a problem with my eyes  ;D ) I am very curious about it.  ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Michael on September 04, 2008, 09:28:44 AM
May I ask where it is possible to download this music?(Maybe there is a problem with my eyes  ;D ) I am very curious about it.  ;)

I think the composer himself will help you out. And no, there is nothing wrong with your eyes....

lukeottevanger

Be careful, though, Michael. This thread is evidently its very own mousetrap, baited with fresh Henning compositions. There's a few of us ensnared at the moment...

karlhenning

Lethevich

Is it ok to share these files outside of GMG (publically, rather than friend to friend), or are they being kept under wraps for now?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe on September 05, 2008, 06:42:07 AM
Is it ok to share these files outside of GMG (publically, rather than friend to friend), or are they being kept under wraps for now?

None of the pieces are contracted to a publisher, so for my part, that's all right.  It's Johan's "space," so meseems his permission is needed, too.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on September 05, 2008, 06:44:14 AM
None of the pieces are contracted to a publisher, so for my part, that's all right.  It's Johan's "space," so meseems his permission is needed, too.

I am only hosting the pieces, so - permission granted, of course.

By the way - the downloading has been so tremendous, the more than 4 GB of 'direct downloads' I still had is now gone. It will take a few seconds more, I think, to download. I am thinking of opening a new account - then I'll start with 10 GB of 'direct downloads' again! If I do, I'll re-upload the pieces.

Latest statistics:

Irreplaceable Doodles, downloaded 32 times

The Mousetrap, downloaded 42 times

The Passion according to St John, downloaded 59 times

Lethevich

Oh, I'll rehost it so it doesn't leech direct dl bandwidth from GMG users - the strangers will have to put up with the countdowns ;D

Danke, Karl.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe on September 05, 2008, 06:59:37 AM
Oh, I'll rehost it so it doesn't leech direct dl bandwidth from GMG users - the strangers will have to put up with the countdowns ;D

Okay. But it was a pleasure to help and to host...  ;)