Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Well, and I've just had e-mail from Chris (the trumpeter), and he remains eager to see some of the music.

After I get more work done on this draught, I may just draw up fair MS. in ink, rather than risk slowing things down with needing to master Sibelius.

(OTOH, mastering Sibelius is what I'll need to get done, at some point, all the same.)

Also had a very nice e-mail from another colleague (a conductor) who responded warmly to Doodles, The Mousetrap & the Passion.

Lilas Pastia

QuoteNo, no.

Karl, that's a bit short. Here's a proper reply:

Quand'ero paggio Ero un miraggio
          Vago,leggero, gentile, gentile.
          Quello era il tempo
          Del mio verde Aprile,
          Quello era il tempo
          Del mio lieto Maggio,
          Tant'ero smilzo, flessibile e snello
          Che avrei guizzato attraverso un anello.

Falstaff, Act II, Second Part. ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 23, 2008, 05:09:43 AM
Karl, that's a bit short. Here's a proper reply:

Quand'ero paggio Ero un miraggio
          Vago,leggero, gentile, gentile.
          Quello era il tempo
          Del mio verde Aprile,
          Quello era il tempo
          Del mio lieto Maggio,
          Tant'ero smilzo, flessibile e snello
          Che avrei guizzato attraverso un anello.

Falstaff, Act II, Second Part. ;)

;D

Thanks, I think . . . .

Catison

-Brett

karlhenning

Guess I picked the wrong week to give up 7AM Turbo-Happy Hour

karlhenning

Quote from: karlhenning on September 23, 2008, 07:25:15 AM
Guess I picked the wrong week to give up 7AM Turbo-Happy Hour

And as if to illustrate the point . . . .

This was doggerel I drew up some four years ago, and had clean forgot about:

When Elvis slept, the angels sang,
"How Great Thou Art" in churches rang,
And lesser session-men cried "Dang!".

When Elvis woke he oped his lids,
He feasted with his neighbors' kids
On prawns and cuttlefish and squids.

When Elvis' stomach breakfast bore,
He saw that he could eat no more,
And entered a convenience store.

And customers the whole store through
Beheld the Elvis whom they knew,
And loved him tender, loved him true.

karlhenning

So, yes, there's probably a reason I had clean forgot about it  8)

Ugh!

Quote from: karlhenning on September 23, 2008, 04:45:57 AM
Well, and I've just had e-mail from Chris (the trumpeter), and he remains eager to see some of the music.

After I get more work done on this draught, I may just draw up fair MS. in ink, rather than risk slowing things down with needing to master Sibelius.

(OTOH, mastering Sibelius is what I'll need to get done, at some point, all the same.)

Am I to understand you ink all your scores? You sent me a score some years back that was printed - how do you transfer them to print eventually (i.e. do you do it yourself or deliver them to some other agency?)

karlhenning

Gosh, Eugene, I had forgotten sending you (Nuhro, was it?) when you were thinking about choral music.  How did that go?  Do we get to see a score?

Nuhro is a Lux Nova imprint, which the press modified from a Finale file I had sent.  I've been using Finale for ten years and more, but decided this summer to switch to Sibelius.  I haven't given anyone a hand-drawn MS. in all that time;  but I may in the case of this trumpet piece, since I doubt I'll learn Sibelius so rapidly as I wish.

Ugh!

Quote from: karlhenning on September 24, 2008, 05:31:09 AM
Gosh, Eugene, I had forgotten sending you (Nuhro, was it?) when you were thinking about choral music.  How did that go?  Do we get to see a score?

Nuhro is a Lux Nova imprint, which the press modified from a Finale file I had sent.  I've been using Finale for ten years and more, but decided this summer to switch to Sibelius.  I haven't given anyone a hand-drawn MS. in all that time;  but I may in the case of this trumpet piece, since I doubt I'll learn Sibelius so rapidly as I wish.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I understand that both have their pros and cons, although I've only fiddled around with Finale Notepad myself, which did not serve me much.

Yes, that's right it was the choral score. In the end I decided not to go for the choral score for that film. It was a funny process actually, because I composed some music before seeing any actual footage of the film, just imagining scenes of war. I was listening quite a lot to Shostakovich at the time, you know the Execution of Stepan Razin, violent snare drums, etc. But when I eventually was shown footage, it was all old people sitting quitely in a living room reminiscing about their experiences during the war :D  :'( So as you might imagine, neither violent snare drums or pompous choral passages served the film much. In the end the director seemed to want me to become Glass ;)

karlhenning

And you said (and rightly, too), I've gotta be me . . . .

karlhenning

I hopped on the Red Line to Harvard Square for a rendezvous with the wife of my bosom.  While standing around Harvard Square waiting, I brought out my notepad, and penned another couple of measures of the trumpet solo.

The geographical extent of work on this piece is expanding significantly.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: karlhenning on September 25, 2008, 03:57:19 PM
I hopped on the Red Line to Harvard Square for a rendezvous with the wife of my bosom.  While standing around Harvard Square waiting, I brought out my notepad, and penned another couple of measures of the trumpet solo.

Moondog lives again, evidently.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on September 24, 2008, 03:42:15 AM
And as if to illustrate the point . . . .

This was doggerel I drew up some four years ago, and had clean forgot about:

When Elvis slept, the angels sang,
“How Great Thou Art” in churches rang,
And lesser session-men cried “Dang!”.

When Elvis woke he oped his lids,
He feasted with his neighbors’ kids
On prawns and cuttlefish and squids.

When Elvis’ stomach breakfast bore,
He saw that he could eat no more,
And entered a convenience store.

And customers the whole store through
Beheld the Elvis whom they knew,
And loved him tender, loved him true.

This is appreciated in Delft.  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 25, 2008, 05:19:14 PM
Moondog lives again, evidently.

He taught me everything I know about Urban Composition.

Quote from: Jezetha on September 25, 2008, 10:38:01 PM
This is appreciated in Delft.  ;D

Here in Boston, I am delighted to know it!

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on September 24, 2008, 05:31:09 AM

See PM Karl.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Szykneij

Quote from: karlhenning on September 25, 2008, 03:57:19 PM

Karl, I would expect the Red Line to have a much more legato influence on your writing as compared to the Green?
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

karlhenning

For practically the first time since I first installed it, I'm trying to create a score in Sibelius.  It's painfully frustrating, to be this incompetent in a program, when I used to be very nicely functional in Finale.  It's vexatious, even that I don't know where to turn immediately when I have a question, and even, trying to figure out how to form the question, so I can find the answer in the on-line manual, for instance.

It's fortunate that the piece I'm working on is rather an optional piece, and there's no deadline.

OTOH, it does mean that, production-wise, I feel like my feet are in concrete.

There; just had to get it off my chest.

Szykneij

Quote from: karlhenning on September 27, 2008, 04:05:23 PM
For practically the first time since I first installed it, I'm trying to create a score in Sibelius.  It's painfully frustrating, to be this incompetent in a program, when I used to be very nicely functional in Finale.  It's vexatious, even that I don't know where to turn immediately when I have a question, and even, trying to figure out how to form the question, so I can find the answer in the on-line manual, for instance.

It's fortunate that the piece I'm working on is rather an optional piece, and there's no deadline.

OTOH, it does mean that, production-wise, I feel like my feet are in concrete.

There; just had to get it off my chest.

Workshops
2008-2009 BSO Professional Development Workshops

Music Technology
Sibelius Notation for Beginners
Learn how to create beautiful notation, worksheets and arrangements with Sibelius 5! You'll learn the best way to enter notes with or without a MIDI keyboard and add musical elements to your scores such as lyrics and chord symbols. When you're done, you'll learn the basics of layout and how you can share your scores as PDFs, audio files or Scorch webpages, so that anyone with a web browser can share your music. Intended for first-timers and novice Sibelius users; Finale users who are curious about Sibelius are welcome!
October 18, 2008
Presenter: Marc Schonbrun
Cost: $50

Intermediate Sibelius Notation
Get beyond the basics and learn about advanced playback features, technique text, and all-important tips for layout. Learn to make the most of Sibelius's powerful 'Arrange' feature, and open MIDI files and scan music into Sibelius. Get down and dirty with Engraving Rules to help make your scores look professional and polished, and, most importantly, learn how to use Sibelius more efficiently. A must for anyone who wants to get the most out of Sibelius.

November 22, 2008
Presenter: Marc Schonbrun
Cost: $50

I'll save you a seat.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

karlhenning

Thanks, Tony! I do remember you mentioning such a thing.  I'll see how much I can 'teach myself' meanwhile.

("Teach myself" includes pinging better-experienced Sibelius users . . . I've already reduced the questions I posted over by Luke . . . .)