Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Oof! Visions of outraged homeless persons wielding matchbooks . . . .

Freunde! Nicht diese what-have-you!

karlhenning

Luke, thanks largely to your great help, and even just your willingness to rally 'round with help, at this point in the end-game I have hardly any question.

One thing, though, is . . . how do I alter the length of the final staff?  Is it possible to do that, so that the note spacing there at the end is not so improbably, well, spacious?  Thanks!

lukeottevanger

Easiest and quickest would be to select a fuller line earlier on and force its final bar[ s] onto a lower line, thus filling up all lower lines (do this by selecting the barline you wish to force and pressing enter). You could also change the stave size or margins (Layout -> Document Settings) or any combination of the above.

lukeottevanger

....for instance, try forcing the final bars on the fourth and/or fifth lines from the end...

karlhenning

Very good; thanks!

Done with bringing the parts (mostly the clarinet part, which mysteriously was missing a lot of the dynamics . . . I even found that I had missed hand-writing many of them into my ad hoc corrected part for playing the piece with Pete) into compliance.

Looking at the difference between the score and the clarinet part that I played from . . . I marvel that Pete had patience with my apparent failure to adhere to my own dynamic markings . . . .

karlhenning

And now done with the score for The Mousetrap.  Too big a file to attach here.

karlhenning

I have so many good & deserving flute-playing friends, that it does not much surprise me that as I was putting the finishing touches to The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword, it occurred to me that it would sound quite handsome on the flute, as well.

karlhenning

Just revisited a high-octane arrangement I did up for brass quintet and organ to accompany an old favorite among Christmas carols, God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen.

M forever

What's the point of the comma there?

Szykneij

Quote from: M forever on October 05, 2008, 02:14:59 PM
What's the point of the comma there?

It's used because the gentlemen aren't merry. The title means "may God rest ye (you) merry (merrily), gentlemen."
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

karlhenning

"Gentlemen" is vocative; they're being addressed.

karlhenning

(Is vocative the right word for that case? . . .)

karlhenning

Harry! How did the MonumentenDag go?

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on October 06, 2008, 05:28:35 AM
Harry! How did the MonumentenDag go?

Very well, Karl, I wonder about it you know that festivity. Our church was open also, a great manifestation of all the beautiful monuments and churches in Holland. And music from the Choir of Nana of course............................with your music performed........... :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry's corner on October 06, 2008, 05:32:19 AM
Very well, Karl, I wonder about it you know that festivity. Our church was open also, a great manifestation of all the beautiful monuments and churches in Holland. And music from the Choir of Nana of course............................with your music performed........... :)

I must confess, I never knew of the festivity, until I got a message from Nana  :)

Joe_Campbell

Happy Birthday, sir! Compose a birthday Theme & Variations set for us! :) ;D

karlhenning

My composition teacher from undergrad days has a new web-site running:

http://www.jackgallaghermusic.com/

karlhenning

I admit that, of the tantalizingly toothsome sound-file excerpts on Jack's site, I especially enjoy the Symphony in One Movement, and Proteus Rising from the Sea.

karlhenning

Started sketching a fresh number of White Nights on the bus this morning.

And I got a call to sub in a goodly choir on Sunday the 19th. It will be my first Sunday of singing since . . . May somethingth.