Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

After some covert sneaking, I stumbled across this page:

http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/

Which I am gonna leech, but could you give track names to replace the default ones with?  0:)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe on October 10, 2008, 11:47:43 AM
After some covert sneaking, I stumbled across this page:

http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/

Which I am gonna leech, but could you give track names to replace the default ones with?  0:)

Could, can, and will  ;)

karlhenning

Today was more work on creating a Sibelius file for the White Nights Overture from scratch.  Between ease of use of (and learning) the program, the excitement of learning it so that my fluency is increasing, and excitement at getting back into the 'sneaky inner workings' of the Overture, I am just having a ton of fun.

karlhenning

I've gotten pages and pages done, and in excellent time!  I'm on p. 17 now.

. . . I don't think I quite understand notating different 'voices' on the same staff in Sibelius.  (In general, of course, I am trying to run run, and finding the odd instance where I don't even know how to walk.)  Need to sort it out before I can move on!

No more tonight, anyway . . . .

lukeottevanger

Quote from: karlhenning on October 14, 2008, 04:03:32 PM
I've gotten pages and pages done, and in excellent time!  I'm on p. 17 now.

. . . I don't think I quite understand notating different 'voices' on the same staff in Sibelius.  (In general, of course, I am trying to run run, and finding the odd instance where I don't even know how to walk.)  Need to sort it out before I can move on!

No more tonight, anyway . . . .

Tell me the specific problem.

The basic idea, though, is to select your voice from the keypad - they are colour-coded. I assume you'd got that far. You can then write in them in the usual way. You can also swap them around if necessary, after you've written them.

karlhenning

Basically, I've got that.  But a rest dropped.  I shall explain . . .

I have a bar of 3/4, the first clarinet has two quarter-rests and plays two eighth-notes on the third quarter-value.  Second clarinet has quarter-rest, two two eighth-notes, and quarter-rest.  Everything 'entered' as I was expecting, only there is no quarter-rest in the upper part of the staff for cl. 1.

Guido

The voices thing on Sibelius is my least favourite feature of the program (which I otherwise enjoy using) - it's generally a pain to get right. Basically you select which voice you want (each one is represented by a different colour which is displayed when a note is selected) on the note in put pad then write the notes you want. I haven't found a way of:
1. deleting just one voice's notes without selecting each single note of that voice individually.
2. pasting stuff onto only one voice, whilst leaving the other voice intact
3. completely getting rid of a voice if a note is put there accidentally in that voice, without deleting the whole contents of the bar. Even if you delete the rests in the unused voice, their ghosts are still there.

There are other more subtle frustrations too. But maybe Luke knows a way round these things...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Voices took some 'managing' in Finale, too;  this clarinet measure is comparatively simple . . . I've got some horn and bassoon measures in which the rest-&-note dance is more involved, so I'd like to get it right the first time  :)

lukeottevanger

I don't understand how that problem could have arisen. How (what order etc.) did you input the notes?

karlhenning

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 14, 2008, 04:23:17 PM
I don't understand how that problem could have arisen. How (what order etc.) did you input the notes?

I put in cl 2 first; the three quarter-rests, the two-eighth-notes on beat 2 (in voice 2).  Then cl 1.

Szykneij

I had a lot of music I needed to rearrange for my orchestra (treble clef/c parts transposed to bass clef for celli or  viola clef, up an octave for flute, up a whole step for B-flat instruments, etc.) . I gave up on Sibelius and went back to an old program I bought for my IBM 486! For simple things, I find it so much easier. At the moment, I can't figure out why my Sibelius plays back what I input as random unpitched percussion sounds or how to fix it  :(  .
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

karlhenning

Quote from: karlhenning on October 14, 2008, 04:24:50 PM
I put in cl 2 first; the three quarter-rests, the two-eighth-notes on beat 2 (in voice 2).  Then cl 1.

Well, I managed to 'fix' it, and at last figured out how I should do this properly.

Where I went wrong is:

I have gotten used to a shortcut to start a measure off with the right rest-value (then to be converted, if needed, to a note), by selecting the whole measure, and then (e.g.) tapping 4 on the number pad, which fills the measure with quarter rests.

So, where went wrong was:  I was entering voice 2, and then selecting the whole measure, and clicking the '1' on the keypad module on-screen, thinking then that I was 'moving' to voice 1, but it seems I was shifting (some of) what I had entered as v. 2 TO v. 1, and then the program was creating incomplete rests for the actual v. 1, and the result was a mess.

I figured out the right way;  everything seems to be healing nicely  8)

I did at last get that page done, properly . . . another hurdle overcome.  Thanks, Luke & Guido!

karlhenning

Quote from: Szykniej on October 14, 2008, 05:07:30 PM
I had a lot of music I needed to rearrange for my orchestra (treble clef/c parts transposed to bass clef for celli or  viola clef, up an octave for flute, up a whole step for B-flat instruments, etc.) . I gave up on Sibelius and went back to an old program I bought for my IBM 486! For simple things, I find it so much easier. At the moment, I can't figure out why my Sibelius plays back what I input as random unpitched percussion sounds or how to fix it  :(  .

Hmm.

karlhenning

Well, here's the state of the Sibelius file thus far.  Thanks again to Luke for all sorts of ready advice!

Probably the five things I wish I knew before printing out this torso of the Sibelius-file-in-progress:

1.  I added a trumpet III staff, and I don't know why the program didn't brace the two trumpet staves together, nor do I know how to do that 'manually'.  (Of course, I should probably look ahead through the rest of the Overture . . . possibly I could as well put the three trumpets on a single staff all together . . . not much independence of writing in this number.)

2.  I think I specified legal size (8-12 x 14 inches) for the document, but Sibelius didn't communicate that to the pdf writer (likely User Error rather than any flaw in Sibelius, I am guessing).

3.  Bottom system of p. 14, m. 145 cl 2 begins clearly underneath cl 1, but I should have rests for cl 1 in mm. 146ff., and stems directed downward for cl 2 in those measure.

4.  Trivial playback thing . . . but on the first page I have a measure's rest held for five measures' duration;  I haven't figured out how I can have the playback (which in any case remains flawed in other respects) reflect that.

5.  Of course there are a couple of scrunched pages there (10, 12) which have to be fixed.

6.  Gosh, I seem to have dropped the "Triangle" indication for Percussion I on the first page, don't I have?

mn dave

karlhenning

Cowbell's later; first there must be sorrow . . . .

lukeottevanger

Quote from: karlhenning on October 17, 2008, 06:56:06 PM
Well, here's the state of the Sibelius file thus far.  Thanks again to Luke for all sorts of ready advice!

Probably the five things I wish I knew before printing out this torso of the Sibelius-file-in-progress:

1.  I added a trumpet III staff, and I don't know why the program didn't brace the two trumpet staves together, nor do I know how to do that 'manually'.  (Of course, I should probably look ahead through the rest of the Overture . . . possibly I could as well put the three trumpets on a single staff all together . . . not much independence of writing in this number.)

2.  I think I specified legal size (8-12 x 14 inches) for the document, but Sibelius didn't communicate that to the pdf writer (likely User Error rather than any flaw in Sibelius, I am guessing).

3.  Bottom system of p. 14, m. 145 cl 2 begins clearly underneath cl 1, but I should have rests for cl 1 in mm. 146ff., and stems directed downward for cl 2 in those measure.

4.  Trivial playback thing . . . but on the first page I have a measure's rest held for five measures' duration;  I haven't figured out how I can have the playback (which in any case remains flawed in other respects) reflect that.

5.  Of course there are a couple of scrunched pages there (10, 12) which have to be fixed.

6.  Gosh, I seem to have dropped the "Triangle" indication for Percussion I on the first page, don't I have?

Are any of these problems that you aren't sure how to fix (other than the five-bars pause one which I hope has been solved), or are they just oversights?

karlhenning

5. & 6. are oversights; the rest, I need to learn how to mend.

lukeottevanger

Just to deal with number 3:

1) delete the clarinet part you have here, to leave a normal empty bar.

2) select voice 2

3) enter the notes again. A rest for voice 1 will automatically be inserted above the notes, whose stems will be downwards. (And if at any time you want to flip the stems on a note, press X)

karlhenning

Quote from: lukeottevanger on October 18, 2008, 10:23:57 AM
Just to deal with number 3:

1) delete the clarinet part you have here, to leave a normal empty bar.

2) select voice 2

3) enter the notes again. A rest for voice 1 will automatically be inserted above the notes, whose stems will be downwards. (And if at any time you want to flip the stems on a note, press X)

Again, hearty thanks!