Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

All of these things mentioned above make me wonder: did the programmers consult composers while designing the program?    :o

Or, dudes, did they just consult the local garage band down the street?   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Actually, the work is going much, much smoother with Sibelius than it went back when I was using Finale (when I first composed the Overture).  Especially with the benefit of Luke's experience, which is a great help in my conquering the learning curve.

I may just wind up re-doing the entirety of what I've already composed of the ballet, in Sibelius.  But, after finishing the Overture as an étude, of course;  my task is to compose to the end of the ballet, first.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Cato on October 22, 2008, 03:56:20 AM
All of these things mentioned above make me wonder: did the programmers consult composers while designing the program?    :o

Or, dudes, did they just consult the local garage band down the street?   8)

No, Sibelius is a fine tool - but notating music properly, is a complex business, and so that tool has to be pretty powerful and flexible to cope with it all. Once one is used to it, there's not much it can't do. Though they refuse to consider making irrational time signatures possible, apparently. It seems they don't believe such things exist, even though zillions of examples are out there in print!

However, even something like this can be got-around, once one knows how.

karlhenning

Just heard from Paul Cienniwa that he intends to play my Three Short Pieces, Opus 34 (Canzona Semplice, O Beauteous Heavenly Light, Fancy on Psalm 80 from the Scottish Psalter) for the Prelude to the 11/9 service.

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on October 25, 2008, 09:28:53 AM
Just heard from Paul Cienniwa that he intends to play my Three Short Pieces, Opus 34 (Canzona Semplice, O Beauteous Heavenly Light, Fancy on Psalm 80 from the Scottish Psalter) for the Prelude to the 11/9 service.
Just make sure he does it on prepared piano.

Ugh!

Just became aware of your signature, Karl

"I wanna be different, like everybody else I wanna be like"
John S. Hall, King Missile

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe on October 10, 2008, 11:47:43 AM
After some covert sneaking, I stumbled across this page:

http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/

Which I am gonna leech, but could you give track names to replace the default ones with?  0:)

Sorry I took so long with this, Sara!

In the Instrumental folder:

01 - Track  1.mp3 :: Square Dance, Opus 72 for clarinet quartet, Ezra Clarinet Quartet, Mark Simon director & bass clarinet

02 - Track  2.mp3 :: Murmur of Many Waters, Opus 57 for percussion ensemble. [will check performance info Monday, IIRC it's the Ithaca Percussion Ensemble]

03 - Track  3.mp3
04 - Track  4.mp3 :: Canzona & Gigue, Opus 77;  Karl Henning, clarinet;   Mark Engelhardt, organ

05 - Track  5.mp3 :: Fragments of "Morning Has Broken", Opus 64;  Karl Henning, clarinet;   Stephen Symchych, violin;  Mark Engelhardt, piano

06 - Track  6.mp3 :: I Sang to the Sky, and Day Broke, Opus 55;  New England Conservatory Wind Ensemble, Charles Peltz director

07 - Track  7.mp3 :: Three Things that Begin with 'C', Opus 65;  Karl Henning, clarinet;   Peter Cama-Lekx, viola

08 - Track  8.mp3 :: Irreplaceable Doodles, Opus 89;  Karl Henning, clarinet

09 - Track  9.mp3 :: Out in the Sun., Opus 88;  New England Conservatory Wind Ensemble, Charles Peltz director

karlhenning

In the Sacred folder:

Evening Service in D, Opus 87
Choir of the Cathedral Church of St Paul, Boston, MA
Karl Henning, director

01 Track 01.mp3 :: Prelude (two trombones)
02 Track 02.mp3 :: Preces (officiant & choir)
03 Track 03.mp3 :: Preface to O Gracious Light (two trombones)
04 Track 04.mp3 :: O Gracious Light (choir)
05 Track 05.mp3 :: Preface to the Magnificat (two trombones)
06 Track 06.mp3 :: Magnificat (choir)
07 Track 07.mp3 :: Preface to the Nunc dimittis (two trombones)
08 Track 08.mp3 :: Nunc dimittis (choir)
09 Track 09.mp3 :: Suffrages (officiant & choir)
11 Track 11.mp3 :: Benedicamus (officiant & choir)
12 Track 12.mp3 :: Postlude (two trombones)

=============

13 Track 13.mp3 :: Bless the Lord, O My Soul, Opus 32a (Karl Henning, director)

15 Track 15.mp3 :: Nuhro (Hymn of Light), Opus 74 (Mark Engelhardt, director)

16 - Track 16.mp3 :: Psalm 150, Psalm-tone composed for the 2003 Evensong at St Paul's (Mark Engelhardt, director)

17 - Track 17.mp3 :: Song of Mary, Opus 39b (Mark Engelhardt, director)

18 - Track 18.mp3 :: Song of Simeon, Opus 71 (Mark Engelhardt, director)

19 - Track 19.mp3 :: Alleluia in A-flat, Opus 33 (Mark Engelhardt, director)

20 - Track 20.mp3 :: Hodie Christus natus est, Opus 76 (Mark Engelhardt, director; Karl Henning, clarinet)

=============

21 - Track 21.mp3 :: I Sang to the Sky, and Day Broke, Opus 55 (duplicate of track 09 from Instrumental folder)

karlhenning

Bit of nostalgia, the first piece of mine which then-director at St Paul's, Mark Engelhardt, had the choir sing, an Alleluia in A-flat which I wrote in dedication to my wonderful mom-in-law, Irina Pisarenko:

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.gesprek.net/hendrik/Henning/Sacred/19%20-%20Track%2019.mp3[/mp3]

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I like your blog, Karl, an essential companion to this thread. I have added the RSS feed to Bloglines.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

I am grateful for your kindness, Johan.

karlhenning

Tomorrow is a special day for me . . . .

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on November 08, 2008, 06:53:20 PM
Tomorrow is a special day for me . . . .

Phone call from the White House to become Obama's National Music Advisor?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on November 09, 2008, 12:17:36 AM
Phone call from the White House to become Obama's National Music Advisor?

Even better: Two years of the sun.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on November 09, 2008, 04:55:44 AM
Even better: Two years of the sun.

I am going to listen to Out in the Sun again later today in celebration.