Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Met with a flautist last night to talk about the alto flute version of The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword.  Well, we talked about it, in the midst of his reading through it.  Even while he has yet to learn the notes and the rhythms, I recognize the piece, and am pleased to have composed it.  He likes it, too, and seems to think we should take steps to publish the piece among the flute community (The National Flute Association, e.g.).  Sign me up;  at worst, it will be the 50th time that something which seemed a reasonable hope fizzled out over time.

On the bus this morning, did some work on the new piece (or, one of two new pieces, perhaps) for cello ensemble.  The basic ideas for this passage, I threw down on a page some time ago, so they've been percolating a bit.  So these 25-ish bars this morning, are a mixture of spontaneous reflection, and a stretch of music I first 'envisioned' maybe a month or so ago.

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on January 27, 2009, 04:34:51 AM
'Cellos-in-progress.

This is a really interesting blog, especially considering that the distorted electric guitar is closest related to the cello in terms of "classical" instuments. My only problem is that I'm having alot of trouble reading the music. It's a fascinating look into the mechanics of composition, so I'm very very interested.

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on February 04, 2009, 05:03:02 AM
  Sign me up;  at worst, it will be the 50th time that something which seemed a reasonable hope fizzled out over time.

Hey Karl!  That means you're in the club!!!  8)

I once composed a sonata for a complete choir of recorders, including a contrabass recorder   :o   which resembled a pedal pipe for a church organ.  It was for a German group in Bavaria, or should I say, a Bavarian group in Bavaria.  They had made a tape or two, and seemed legitimate enough.  This was way back when communication was by mail only.  The director gave me enthusiasm and lots of blah-blah, but nothing ever happened.

But we will stay optimistic for you!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

We're keepin' hope alive!

Except that Allan has given up hope on White Nights  ;D

greg

I think I have, too. Maybe you could get bits from it and turn into into Henning's 1st Symphony.  ;)

karlhenning

No, the first symphony is musically distinct from the ballet.

greg

is? Are you saying you're working on one now?

karlhenning

Quote from: G$ on February 06, 2009, 06:58:01 PM
is? Are you saying you're working on one now?

Not actively at work on it;  I have some ten pp. of sketches for a symphony.  I shall finish the ballet before resuming work on the symphony.

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on February 07, 2009, 05:22:01 AM
Not actively at work on it;  I have some ten pp. of sketches for a symphony.  I shall finish the ballet before resuming work on the symphony.

But..a SYMPHONY, Karl. YES!!!!!!!!

greg

Quote from: AndyD. on February 07, 2009, 05:23:11 AM

But..a SYMPHONY, Karl. YES!!!!!!!!
Same feelings here. But just try not to pull a Brahms on us.... (unless you have to)  ;D

karlhenning

Happily, in my case, the problem is just time.  When I have time to write, I have music ready to write.

And in a year or so, my weekly schedule will open up a bit.  And in all events, even in my present, rather busy schedule, I am getting music written.  Thus, even though in absolute terms I am not writing as much as I should like, I feel pretty good about it all.

J.Z. Herrenberg

You know, Karl, I could understand what appealed to you in Pettersson's Ninth - it has the sort of elastic movement and spaciousness I know from your own work. I really can imagine a Henning symphony...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on February 07, 2009, 08:08:45 AM
Happily, in my case, the problem is just time.  When I have time to write, I have music ready to write.

And in a year or so, my weekly schedule will open up a bit.  And in all events, even in my present, rather busy schedule, I am getting music written.  Thus, even though in absolute terms I am not writing as much as I should like, I feel pretty good about it all.

One thing I've noticed, is that composition takes ALOT of time. I get into writing, then I look at the clock and see it's almost time for bed (and my girl upset).

greg

Quote from: AndyD. on February 07, 2009, 09:25:52 AM

One thing I've noticed, is that composition takes ALOT of time. I get into writing, then I look at the clock and see it's almost time for bed (and my girl upset).
Oh yeah, that's the bad part. I have to schedule a half an hour each day just for composing (well, at least I try at that, but usually fail  ::)).
For me, it requires intense concentration- much more than when just a few years ago, when it was so much easier to "discover" things. Half the time I can't even concentrate enough to really get into it, though what helps the most is to warm up to it all day long by playing around with ideas and then writing in the evening. Then, when I'm finally able to concentrate, I play all those awesome ideas on the keyboard, but then it ends up being too spontaneous to be able to write down, or even fit anywhere in a piece, so I'm usually able to get a good 8 bars in, then get bored with it and stuck in 2 days. Happens every time.  :P

karlhenning

The trick is forming (and getting into the reliable habit of forming) composed environments wherein spontaneous ideas retain their spontaneity.

And believe me, if it were as easy as a few bullet-points, I should share them immediately  8)

Since Maria and Irina are both artists, and have their own creative work that they are often about, I get plenty of 'space' when I am doing work.

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on February 08, 2009, 05:35:55 AM
The trick is forming (and getting into the reliable habit of forming) composed environments wherein spontaneous ideas retain their spontaneity.

And believe me, if it were as easy as a few bullet-points, I should share them immediately  8)

Since Maria and Irina are both artists, and have their own creative work that they are often about, I get plenty of 'space' when I am doing work.

My girl and I have a similar relationship. Plus, it's always nice when one's mate knows exactly when to leave the composer alone for a little while. Still, I can't blame her for wanting more time with me, I obsess over music way to much.

I noticed also that I'll have plenty of "inspired" music coming to me, but I (think) Schubert is the one whom said that there's a big difference between getting inspired and getting to work on it.

Haffner

Quote from: G$ on February 07, 2009, 07:42:09 PM
Oh yeah, that's the bad part. I have to schedule a half an hour each day just for composing (well, at least I try at that, but usually fail  ::)).
For me, it requires intense concentration- much more than when just a few years ago, when it was so much easier to "discover" things. Half the time I can't even concentrate enough to really get into it, though what helps the most is to warm up to it all day long by playing around with ideas and then writing in the evening. Then, when I'm finally able to concentrate, I play all those awesome ideas on the keyboard, but then it ends up being too spontaneous to be able to write down, or even fit anywhere in a piece, so I'm usually able to get a good 8 bars in, then get bored with it and stuck in 2 days. Happens every time.  :P

This sounds like a very well thought out and practical time schedule.

Bogey

Quote from: AndyD. on February 08, 2009, 07:00:35 AM

I noticed also that I'll have plenty of "inspired" music coming to me, but I (think) Schubert is the one whom said that there's a big difference between getting inspired and getting to work on it.

Line of the day year.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Haffner

Quote from: Bogey on February 08, 2009, 07:03:04 AM
Line of the day year.

(laughing) My girl told me once that she has had ideas for all kinds of creative outlets, too many to count. But so many ideas just fall by the wayside when one is trying to get just that one idea worked through.

Edison paraphrase: "10% INspiration, 90% PERSpiration"!