Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

We've been meaning to talk to you about all that perspiration . . . .

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on February 08, 2009, 07:10:15 AM
We've been meaning to talk to you about all that perspiration . . . .

;)

Cato

One way to lose your inspiration is to hear your wife/girlfriend crying in the other room and wondering what they are supposed to do, while you create your next masterpiece for the ages!   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Yes, many things to balance!

One of life's mysteries (separately):  Just got a message from a trumpeter friend hinting at demand for a piece for flugelhorn and high-school level band, a message including the tantalizing phrase commission fee.

karlhenning

Andy, remember the rule: one's sweat is one's own affair;  don't let 'em see you sweat!

(Probably, the rule is a little different on Planet Death Metal . . . .)

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on February 08, 2009, 05:35:55 AM
The trick is forming (and getting into the reliable habit of forming) composed environments wherein spontaneous ideas retain their spontaneity.

And believe me, if it were as easy as a few bullet-points, I should share them immediately  8)

Since Maria and Irina are both artists, and have their own creative work that they are often about, I get plenty of 'space' when I am doing work.
I think you're better at concentrating in general, too- i mean, you said you compose on the bus sometimes!  :o

Quote from: AndyD. on February 08, 2009, 07:01:49 AM

This sounds like a very well thought out and practical time schedule.
If you don't organize anything,  you'll have a hard time finding anything.  8)

Quote from: Cato on February 08, 2009, 05:27:39 PM
One way to lose your inspiration is to hear your wife/girlfriend crying in the other room and wondering what they are supposed to do, while you create your next masterpiece for the ages!   :o
;D

karlhenning

It's time I organized another recital, and the fact that Peter H. Bloom is game to put together the alto flute version of The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword is a big incentive.  My friend Shauna, who did such a fantastic job with recording the June '08 recital, will be back in Boston in May, and has generously agreed to twiddle knobs again.  I just had a lovely chat with Bill Goodwin, organist at the First Congregational Church in Woburn (a beautiful space to play in), and he is enthusiastic about hosting an all-Henningmusick concert at that time.

I am still waiting to hear from Peter Cama-Lekx, who has moved to Cleveland but whom I expect to visit Boston at least once in the May-June stretch of the calendar.  It would be great to have another swing at The Mousetrap, and there are two or three other pieces for which his services could be enlisted, too.

This would be the time, also, to get Blue Shamrock in good trim. The readiness is all.

Peter Bloom regularly concertizes with a harpist-&-pianist, Mary Jane Rupert.  I should be keen to get Radiant Maples together at last, though Mary Jane could not play both harp and piano for that . . . need to collar a (second) pianist if that is to work.

Here's something of a wishful-tentative program:

I.

The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword (a fl solo)
Fragments of "Morning Has Broken" (cl/va/pf)
The Mousetrap (cl/va)

(intermission)

II.

Terpsichore in Marble (cl/vc)
Blue Shamrock (cl solo)
Night of the Weeping Crocodiles (cl/va/pf)
Radiant Maples (fl/cl/hp/pf) or Canzona & Gigue (fl/cl/va/vc)

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on February 07, 2009, 08:22:09 AM
You know, Karl, I could understand what appealed to you in Pettersson's Ninth - it has the sort of elastic movement and spaciousness I know from your own work. I really can imagine a Henning symphony...

Thanks, Johan! I didn't mean to leave your kind remark unacknowledged so long!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on February 10, 2009, 06:10:53 AM
Thank you again for all your kind assistance, Johan!

Glad to be of assistance! Btw, the current tally is:

Irreplaceable Doodles                    44
The Mousetrap                            56
The Passion According to St. John  89

The latest downloads were all on 30.01.2009.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Anyone going to be in Boston in July?  I'll play a recital at King's Chapel on the 28th.

Guido

Karl: You will recall that I expressed reservations bout the quality of the scores produced by Finale, preferring the ones produced in Sibelius. I know why now. It's because the PDFs created by Finale do not have consisten line thickness unless one zooms in very close - this is extremely jarring on the eye and just looks horrible. The printed parts look great! So it's a psychological one on computer screens only, but an important thing I think - I wonder if this has been fixed?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Don't know if Finale have fixed that, Guido. And I've since switched over to Sibelius, though I'm still learning.

Haffner

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 14, 2009, 12:46:58 PM
Don't know if Finale have fixed that, Guido. And I've since switched over to Sibelius, though I'm still learning.

I'm still using my Finale 2007c. I'm curious as to the plug-ins in Sibelius. Anything sound better than the Garritan? Or do you use the East West Quantum Leap, Karl?

karlhenning

Baby steps . . . but at long last, I've found a harpist who is game to sit down and read Lost Waters with me.

karlhenning

Quote from: AndyD. on February 14, 2009, 02:01:58 PM

I'm still using my Finale 2007c. I'm curious as to the plug-ins in Sibelius. Anything sound better than the Garritan? Or do you use the East West Quantum Leap, Karl?

You're using a later Finale than I ever have, Andy, so I canna answer!  :)

John Copeland

Quote from: AndyD. on February 14, 2009, 02:01:58 PM

;D
I am interetsed in this stuff.
Which one is best value for money, Garritan or East West?  And are they as good as they say on the tin?  Do you really get full orchestral sound and colour from your compositions using one of these titles?  How difficult is it to map midi channels to instruments - is Sibelius or is Finale a greater portal for these Orchestral Soundbanks.  I'm very interested to find out stuff like this because I have some little melodies and movements I want to translate into something that sounds like music.
;D

sul G

Quote from: John on February 24, 2009, 05:08:04 AM
Which one is best value for money, Garritan or East West?  And are they as good as they say on the tin?  Do you really get full orchestral sound and colour from your compositions using one of these titles? 

Judging by my own recent experience, sometimes even a real orchestra doesn't sound much like a real orchestra  ;D

karlhenning

Oh, I can laugh about it, now . . . .

;)

John Copeland

Quote from: sul G on February 24, 2009, 05:26:35 AM
Judging by my own recent experience, sometimes even a real orchestra doesn't sound much like a real orchestra  ;D

LOL  Been reading through some of that. ;D