Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Bahamut on April 10, 2009, 05:05:19 AM
I'm assuming Dutoit is a guest conductor...  ???

Correct;  we have him here at Symphony about once per year.  Hope he may still have time to do that with the new appointment in Phila.

greg

Awesome!
I like the review, btw- especially the last line.  ;D

karlhenning

Just one of those sudden inspirations . . . .

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Earlier today I spoke with the flutist, who is keen to progress to Stage II:  the three of us (flutist, harpist, composer) meeting to play/chat stars & guitars.  He sounds enthusiastic (practically the first thing he said when he answered the phone and learnt that I was the caller, was "the piece looks fantastic").

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 13, 2009, 11:18:34 AM
Earlier today I spoke with the flutist, who is keen to progress to Stage II:  the three of us (flutist, harpist, composer) meeting to play/chat stars & guitars.  He sounds enthusiastic (practically the first thing he said when he answered the phone and learnt that I was the caller, was "the piece looks fantastic").

Why, yes it is, looks and sounds fantastic, if my mental ears have not lost their acuity!   :o

Stars and Guitars is no Augenmusik, boys and girls!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

karlhenning

Mark, Moondi & I heard some Schoenberg & Wuorinen last night.  Moondi is holding up very well after an unusual concentration of dissonant music!  No sissy ears, his!  8)

Flutist, harpist & composer will meet to read and chat over stars & guitars this coming Thursday.

karlhenning

That stray quintuplet may seem gratuitous, but I assure you, it was what I felt at the time . . . .

Made in Maryland.

karlhenning

Audrey is rushing the Marginalia onto her students' stands.

Tomorrow is another long day (the last day of the annual Art in Bloom at the MFA, good time).  Tuesday, hopefully, (a) I'll get the alto flute Angel properly paginated for Peter, and (b) I'll make a few minor tweaks to Lost Waters for Mary Jane.

Paul is still thinking of a Sunday suitable for the Exaltabo te, Deus.

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 28, 2009, 04:00:15 AM
Most interesting, Sarge.

Once on a time, I owned the Norrington. (I mean that purely informationally, not as comment.  Used to own his Symphonie fantastique, which was one of his first recordings, I think . . . and hearing that one over the radio illumined the piece for me.)

Rather than derail Gurn's perfectly fine thread, I took this here . . . .

The Norrington is in fact the first recording of the Beethoven Ninth that I remember owning . . . so there is some other recording which I owned, but don't remember owning, at the time when I first studied the symphony thoroughly . . . I still have visual memory of scanning the score page by page, my first semester at UVa . . . but I did not own the Norrington until two-ish years later . . . I still have auditory memory of being transfixed at home one Saturday morning listening to Norrington's Berlioz recording over WXXI FM in Rochester.

No way now of knowing which Ninth I was listening to at UVa.  Much as I was inclined to like the Norrington, not long after drinking in his Berlioz disc, I remember wishing the Adagio molto e cantabile didn't rush so.

Or, maybe that's revisionist, a trick of memory. Cannot tell at this point.

karlhenning

Bullish Upticks (I)

The Irrationally Exuberant Music of Karl Henning

Blue Shamrock, Opus 63 (2002) clarinet solo
Lost Waters, Opus 27 (1994-95) harp solo – Premiere
stars & guitars, Opus 95 (2009) bass flute & harp – Premiere

The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword, Opus 94a (2008) alto flute solo – Premiere
Fragments of  « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a (2002) flute, clarinet & piano
Radiant Maples, Opus 59 (2001) flute, clarinet, harp & piano – Premiere

Peter H. Bloom, flutes of divers varieties
Paul Cienniwa, piano
Mary Jane Rupert, harp
Karl Henning, clarinet

Wednesday, 24 June 2009
7:30pm
First Congregational Church in Woburn
322 Main Street
Freewill donation;  all proceeds to benefit Organ Restoration Fund.

When the going gets tough, the tough get composing.

karlhenning

And, the following month . . . .

Bullish Upticks (II)

The Irrationally Exuberant Music of Karl Henning

The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword, Opus 94a (2008) alto flute solo – Premiere
Irreplaceable Doodles, Opus 89 (2007) clarinet solo
stars & guitars, Opus 95 (2009) bass flute & harp – Premiere

Peter H. Bloom, grand flutes
Mary Jane Rupert, harp
Karl Henning, clarinet

Tuesday, 28 July 2009
12:15pm
King's Chapel
Corner of School & Tremont Streets, Boston
Freewill donation.

When the going gets tough, the tough get composing.

karlhenning

Here's a nifty Adventure in Sibelius.

The fl/cl/pf trio, Fragments of « Morning Has Broken » was a 17-page score in Finale.  It was something of a tricky matter to transfer the Finale file into Sibelius (largely because of peculiarities required in laying out the Finale score) . . . but it didn't take all that long, and the visual result speaks for itself, I think.

Here is the Finale score:

karlhenning

And the Sibelius, below.

A very minor matter, but Sibelius seems to justify right down to the bottom of the page, so that I cannot fit the date and place of completion of composition, at the very end of the score.

I mean, there must be some fix, but I haven't lit on it yet.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato