Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just heard from my good friend Michiel Schuijer, professor of music theory at the Conservatory of Amsterdam - a female student of his, Uzbek composer Polina Medyulyanova (http://www.composers21.com/compdocs/medyulyp.htm), seems to be preparing her Ph.D. ('seems', because things might still change). The subject: contemporary settings of St. John's Passion. Michiel has suggested she should also take into account Karl's setting and has given her his email address.

I hope she'll be in touch, Karl!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Thanks, Cato & Johan!

My small piece this morning went quite well; the performance was an impressive gain on the rehearsal earlier today.

greg

Ah, man, I completely forgot...... :'(
thanks for figuring out the timing for me, though, Karl.

karlhenning

Quote from: Bahamut on May 24, 2009, 08:37:52 PM
Excellent! 
I'll make sure to listen, even if I have to remind myself a thousand times this week.  ;D ;D

Must have needed two or three thousand, eh?  ;) 8)

karlhenning

QuoteMy small piece this morning went quite well; the performance was an impressive gain on the rehearsal earlier today.

Order of service from Sunday the 31st

greg

Catison

-Brett

karlhenning

Mozart ain't got nothin' on me!

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 05, 2009, 03:12:13 AM
My own private antiquities.

1997?!

Oy!   ;D

Wait until the work has aged another 30 years!   :o

A melancholy experience, visiting early works!  In one sense an artist's output is all connected: the earliest, most immature, most incompetent works are linked genetically to the masterpieces of today and the future.  So this work with its curious title (and those have continued!) is being played through today's echoes.

Or one could say that an artist has only one work to produce, which can never be actually be experienced except through its multi-varied manifestations.  Just as one cannot actually show anybody a "tree," since only specific trees (maple, oak, cherry, etc) are manifested in nature, so the artist has within himself a "work" and all of his paintings, poems, compositions, etc. are variations on that one ultimately mysterious and inaudible Grundton .
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on June 05, 2009, 04:03:41 AM
1997?!

Oy!   ;D

Wait until the work has aged another 30 years!   :o

A melancholy experience, visiting early works!  . . . .

Not too bad, really, in this case;  but then, my backlog of other old (but newer than the dissertation, of course) works still waiting for performance (some of which we shall see to later this very month) helps to dispel any cumulative melancholia.

Separately, Paul Cienniwa gave me a disc with last week's performance of Bless the Lord, O My Soul (a good thing), but, it's a single hour-long track with the entire service on it, and the freeware audio editor I have on the home PC seems unequal to the task for editing this down (an annoyance, but hopefully temporary).

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 08, 2009, 04:36:23 AM
Not too bad, really, in this case;  but then, my backlog of other old (but newer than the dissertation, of course) works still waiting for performance (some of which we shall see to later this very month) helps to dispel any cumulative melancholia.

Separately, Paul Cienniwa gave me a disc with last week's performance of Bless the Lord, O My Soul (a good thing), but, it's a single hour-long track with the entire service on it, and the freeware audio editor I have on the home PC seems unequal to the task for editing this down (an annoyance, but hopefully temporary).

"Delays! Delays!" says the Vincent Price-ish Evil Scientist in the Bugs Bunny cartoon ("Water, Water, Every Hare").

It is the curse of genius to be sabotaged by delays!  But an axe can cut through them!

karlhenning

Delays; in my experience, it's normal  ;D 0:) 8)

karlhenning

Coming up in two weeks:

Bullish Upticks (I)

The Irrationally Exuberant Music of Karl Henning

Blue Shamrock, Opus 63 (2002) clarinet solo
Lost Waters, Opus 27 (1994-95) harp solo – Premiere
stars & guitars, Opus 95 (2009) bass flute & harp – Premiere

The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword, Opus 94a (2008) alto flute solo – Premiere
Fragments of  « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a (2002) flute, clarinet & piano
Radiant Maples, Opus 59 (2001) flute, clarinet, harp & piano – Premiere

Peter H. Bloom, flutes of divers varieties
Paul Cienniwa, piano
Mary Jane Rupert, harp
Karl Henning, clarinet

Wednesday, 24 June 2009
7:30pm
First Congregational Church in Woburn
322 Main Street
Freewill donation;  all proceeds to benefit Organ Restoration Fund.

When the going gets tough, the tough get composing.

Catison

-Brett

karlhenning

Cato

Yay Team!

If anyone here on GMG has connections to an impresario/agent/producer/conductor/etc., get them to this concert!!!   $:)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2009, 09:32:14 AM
Coming up in two weeks:

The Irrationally Exuberant Music of Karl Henning

Great news! This is the sort of 'irrational exuberance' I like: the sort that doesn't lead you into a crisis, but improved mental sanity.  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

greg

4 Premieres in one night!  :o