Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Very peculiar dream last night.

Dreamt I was visiting a friend in New York; or, more accurately, that I was playing part of a brief recital of my own music in New York, and my friend was at hand to assist.

I started to play Blue Shamrock.  It's a piece (a) which yields no time to turn pages, so you spread the music out on two or three stands, and you go; and (b) whose music goes by so quickly, that you practice it so that you've nearly memorized it, and the pages (which pass by mickle quickly) are more a visual 'place-keeper' than anything you are reading in real-time.  That said (and this being a dream) I am playing the Shamrock, and I see the first two pages before me.  An unseen hand removes those two pages for me;  but now, instead of seeing the next two pages of the piece, they're missing, and I see two pages of random newsprint.  Of course, I just keep playing.  (That has the look of a dream of anxiety, perhaps;  but in fact, I rejoiced to react so quickly and smoothly to the surprise.)

I finish playing, and a 'virtual acquaintance' (who in real life is actually a pianist) is about to play a piece of mine, running twenty minutes, for unaccompanied English horn.  My New York friend shepherds me away to a Green Room while the recital proceeds;  and thence directly to an empty hall, where I suppose there is going to be an informal reception at the recital's conclusion.  I ask if anyone is there to review the event, and my cell phone jingles (I never, never dream of my cell phone) to indicate that a text message has arrived . . . and of course my first thought is, if they've reviewed it this quickly, they must have been "typing" during the performance. Bad form  8)

Anyway, daftest dream I've had in an age.

greg

Maybe it was really you writing the review while you're listening to the English Horn solo, then you sent it to yourself, and repressed the fact that you wrote it from your mind.

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on July 01, 2009, 11:15:43 AM
Do you have recordings lying around?  If they're studio recordings you should totally sell them! :)

I have nine discs, nine against the rings for mortal men doomed to die, sitting here in the cubicle.  Most of them are promised out already.

My engineer has some space she can upload these to, but it's much easier for her to see to when she returns to school next week.

karlhenning

Launch of a new duet.

This is cooking along very nicely.

John Copeland

Blue Shamrock?  Sounds very interesting indeed, the title has so many celtic connotations and even conflicts that somewhere along the line I've got to hear it!  :D

Karl, I also want to know what Mung beans are.   ???

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on May 31, 2009, 02:01:14 PM
Just heard from my good friend Michiel Schuijer, professor of music theory at the Conservatory of Amsterdam - a female student of his, Uzbek composer Polina Medyulyanova (http://www.composers21.com/compdocs/medyulyp.htm), seems to be preparing her Ph.D. ('seems', because things might still change). The subject: contemporary settings of St. John's Passion. Michiel has suggested she should also take into account Karl's setting and has given her his email address.

I hope she'll be in touch, Karl!

Yes, she has (in sporadic touch);  but I have now sent her the score (which should arrive soon.  [And Johan has kindly interrupted his packing-&-moving in order to send our doctoral candidate a CD of the premiere!]

karlhenning

More progress on the Watermelon.

karlhenning

The clavecinist and the composer.

Bogey

That is a very cool shot, Karl!  Make a great page in a liner note section.  :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Thanks, Bill! Shot was taken by a cellist  ;)

karlhenning

And what is more important: les très jolies femmes

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 05, 2009, 05:48:04 PM
The clavecinist and the composer.

In that picture there is an angelic  0:)  glow around you, Karl

But the beatific visions of that feminine trinity in the next picture explain why!   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Yes, I am in a state of near-constant transport  0:)

karlhenning

Upticks are nearing final revision, and they remain bullish!