Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

NEW!! IMPROVED!!

Bullish Upticks (IIa)

The Irrationally Exuberant Music of Karl Henning

Irreplaceable Doodles, Opus 89 (2007) clarinet solo
stars & guitars, Opus 95 (2009) bass flute & harp – Premiere
Tropes on Parasha's Aria, from White Nights, Opus 75 (2006?) flute, clarinet & harp

Peter H. Bloom, flutes
Mary Jane Rupert, harp
Karl Henning, clarinet

Tuesday, 28 July 2009
12:15pm
King's Chapel
Corner of School & Tremont Streets, Boston
Freewill donation.

When the going gets tough, the tough get composing.

karlhenning

ADDITIONAL ENGAGEMENT!! CAVING IN TO POPULAR DEMAND!!

Bullish Upticks (IIb)

The Irrationally Exuberant Music of Karl Henning

Blue Shamrock, Opus 63 (2002) clarinet solo
The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword, Opus 94a (2008) alto flute – Premiere
Irreplaceable Doodles, Opus 89 (2007) clarinet solo
Heedless Watermelon, Opus 97 (2009) flute & clarinet – Premiere

Peter H. Bloom, flutes
Karl Henning, clarinet

Wednesday, 29 July 2009
12:15pm
West End Branch, Boston Public Library
151 Cambridge Street, Boston
Free & Open to the Public.

When the going gets tough, the tough get composing.

Bogey

Looks as though Mr. Bloom has a busy tour schedule as well.  Do you ever sit in to play someone's music besides your own like he does, Karl?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Quote from: Bogey on July 07, 2009, 12:46:36 PM
Looks as though Mr. Bloom has a busy tour schedule as well.  Do you ever sit in to play someone's music besides your own like he does, Karl?

Played a couple of premieres (Hicken, Sellers) last June, Bill.  Last month was my first public performance since.

greg

Not to mention he premiered a piece of mine once...
if you ever had the urge to write something for guitar, Karl, remember me. Can't say I'm a performer yet, though... :P

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on July 07, 2009, 12:46:36 PM

Bill - great avatar!  :D  If you have a larger pic & some information, please put a post in my 'old instruments' thread - needs to be brought back TTT!  Dave  8)

karlhenning

karlhenning

Cari amici,

My excellent friend Shauna has uploaded the recording from the 24 June event.  Notwithstanding the fact that the composer wishes that all might have been better still, it is my great pleasure to make this available to you.  I place only the following conditions (which I have no way of enforcing, and regarding which I therefore rely completely on your discretion):

a.  I earnestly hope that you may enjoy listening.
b.  Whether you enjoy the listening or (heaven forfend) not, the composer appreciates any feedback the listener may offer.
c.  If you have enjoyed listening, I hope you may consider supporting the musicians in any way you find appropriate and feasible.
d.  If you have any comments on the technical aspects of the recording, good or bad, Shauna welcomes any and all feedback.  Contact me if you wish her e-mail address.
e.  If you enjoy the music, please send Shauna an e-mail message thanking her for her generosity of spirit (and time, and labor) to the composer.
f.  Of the following pieces, only Blue Shamrock is under contract to a publisher, Lux Nova Press.  Technically, I probably do not have the right to distribute the recording of this piece freely;  realistically, I do not think that this gesture will run afoul of Lux Nova.  All that said, I encourage you (if you like the piece) to let Lux Nova know.
g.  If you feel inclined (and if any of the pieces on the program so inspire you), encourage Lux Nova to carry and promote more Henningmusick.
h.  Track list:

1. Blue Shamrock, Opus 63 — clarinet solo

Lost Waters, Opus 27 — harp solo
2. Irving's Hudson
3. Thoreau's Walden
4. Whitman's Ontario
5. Carlos Williams's Passaic

6. stars & guitars, Opus 95 — bass flute & harp
7. The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword, Opus 94a — alto flute solo
8. Fragments of « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a — flute, clarinet & piano
9. Radiant Maples, Opus 59 — flute, clarinet harp & piano

========

10. Fragments of « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a — rehearsal
11. Radiant Maples, Opus 59 — rehearsal excerpt

========

I wish you all good listening, and I thank you for all your kind support.

Cheers,
~Karl

mahler10th

Downloading "Blue Shamrock" which I'm keen to listen to first beause of its title...   ;D
Karl, In some ways the pic of you sitting with the clavecinist reminds me of a liesurely Sinopoli!  
I will certainly let Lux Nova know what I think - there are other works which many of us have of yours which should have been pressed to CD so we could buy them instead.  :-[

karlhenning

I await, with some trepidation, John, the new av: My features on hearing Blue Shamrock

8)

mahler10th

On Listening to BLUE SHAMROCK by Karl Henning

This is marked 'Clarinet Solo.'
But there is a two-way dialogue going on here.  The Clarinet is talking to itself, asking questions, finding answers.  
Blue Shamrock sounds to me to be in three seamless parts, the first taking us to around 01:20, up to which we are introduced to a quick internal Q&A session, like a child clarinet asking questions and the parent clarinet providing patient replies.  
At around 1:20 (second part) the questions become one word and one answer exchanges.  Its [the parent voice] responses are sometimes tempramental and often quick to pick up.
At 02:30 the third part begins.  Here I think the parental Clarinet gets tired of the small talk and launches into painting a picture of itself and just how great it is to be a Clarinet.  At the end, it warns it's younger self of imroprieties on it's journey.  :D

This is of course complete corned beef  :o, not at all what you intended I expect, but thats how this short piece comes to me after a couple of listens.  Without the technical jargon, it's like hearing a Clarinet 'coming of age' piece, a clarinet coming to a greater understanding of itself by questioning, answering and expressing.

Well, it occured to me also that it may be the Clarinet dialogue is an expression of the clash between 'Blue' and'Shamrock', two words which when put togeher in some parts of the World represent a severe conflict.

There is something to be learned from this piece, but it is not in its title.  

Fabulous Karl, thanks for making this available to us.   ;D

karlhenning

Thanks, John! And I am glad that your av is related to another matter entirely  8)

karlhenning

To repeat, in case some missed it (who prefer not to miss it).

Cari amici,

My excellent friend Shauna has uploaded the recording from the 24 June event.  Notwithstanding the fact that the composer wishes that all might have been better still, it is my great pleasure to make this available to you.  I place only the following conditions (which I have no way of enforcing, and regarding which I therefore rely completely on your discretion):

a.  I earnestly hope that you may enjoy listening.
b.  Whether you enjoy the listening or (heaven forfend) not, the composer appreciates any feedback the listener may offer.
c.  If you have enjoyed listening, I hope you may consider supporting the musicians in any way you find appropriate and feasible.
d.  If you have any comments on the technical aspects of the recording, good or bad, Shauna welcomes any and all feedback.  Contact me if you wish her e-mail address.
e.  If you enjoy the music, please send Shauna an e-mail message thanking her for her generosity of spirit (and time, and labor) to the composer.
f.  Of the following pieces, only Blue Shamrock is under contract to a publisher, Lux Nova Press.  Technically, I probably do not have the right to distribute the recording of this piece freely;  realistically, I do not think that this gesture will run afoul of Lux Nova.  All that said, I encourage you (if you like the piece) to let Lux Nova know.
g.  If you feel inclined (and if any of the pieces on the program so inspire you), encourage Lux Nova to carry and promote more Henningmusick.
h.  Track list:

1. Blue Shamrock, Opus 63 — clarinet solo

Lost Waters, Opus 27 — harp solo
2. Irving's Hudson
3. Thoreau's Walden
4. Whitman's Ontario
5. Carlos Williams's Passaic

6. stars & guitars, Opus 95 — bass flute & harp
7. The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword, Opus 94a — alto flute solo
8. Fragments of « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a — flute, clarinet & piano
9. Radiant Maples, Opus 59 — flute, clarinet harp & piano

========

10. Fragments of « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a — rehearsal
11. Radiant Maples, Opus 59 — rehearsal excerpt

========

I wish you all good listening, and I thank you for all your kind support.

Cheers,
~Karl

karlhenning

karlhenning

Another shot of Drs C & H

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 11, 2009, 07:07:28 PM
Another shot of Drs C & H
Heeeeeelllllllllllll yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, one day I gotta visit you, Karl- and it'd be one of the happiest days of my life when I do! (and then we gotta do a picture in a similar style).