Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

You are kind, Greg!

Do you feel like writing a short duet for flute and clarinet? (Or even, alto flute and clarinet?)

Quote from: hautbois on July 11, 2009, 06:21:43 AM
Absolutely. Do it!

What approx. duration (or range of duration) would be of interest to you, Howard?

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 11, 2009, 07:17:35 PM
You are kind, Greg!
And I'm dead serious!  :)
We have to do that sometime in the future- just spend a day chilling out... You can show me the highlights of Boston, go to a concert, the museum, go to your church, play clarinet for me, show your wife's paintings, throw rocks at people in the park, etc.
Really, that'd be an awesome day, wouldn't it?  ;D 

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 11, 2009, 07:17:35 PM
Do you feel like writing a short duet for flute and clarinet? (Or even, alto flute and clarinet?)
Maybe. Why do you ask?

karlhenning

Peter Bloom & I have another recital date in September.  If you want to draw up something (and if Peter gives it the go-ahead), we can play it then.

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 12, 2009, 04:56:57 AM
Peter Bloom & I have another recital date in September.  If you want to draw up something (and if Peter gives it the go-ahead), we can play it then.
Cool! I'll go ahead and write something short and fun, then.  8)

Joe_Campbell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 11, 2009, 07:07:28 PM
Another shot of Drs C & H
When I lived with my parents, we had the EXACT SAME chairs! Funny!

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe_Campbell on July 12, 2009, 07:36:27 PM
When I lived with my parents, we had the EXACT SAME chairs! Funny!

Uh-oh. I shall ask Paul discreetly where he found the chairs . . . .

Quote from: Greg on July 12, 2009, 06:27:27 PM
Cool! I'll go ahead and write something short and fun, then.  8)

Do, please!  If we can have it sometime mid-next-month, 'twould be lovely.

karlhenning

Maria in "the cello shed"

DavidW

Karl, that is the cleanest shed I have ever seen! :o

karlhenning

That's why we were speculating that Audrey must practice the cello in that shed!

Père Malfait

I just had the opportunity to listen to a sampling of HenningsMusik (Blue Shamrock, Lost Waters, Stars & Guitars, The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword, Morning Has Broken, Radiant Maples) and I am VERY impressed! I especially enjoyed Stars & Guitars - haunting and evocative. Jolly good show, Karl! Continuer comme ça!  :)
Lee T. Nunley, MA, PMP, CSM
Organist, Harpsichordist, Musicologist, Project Manager

karlhenning

Père Malfait

You're most welcome, sir! Have you ever written anything for harpsichord or organ?

karlhenning

Quote from: Pére Malfait on July 13, 2009, 09:15:11 AM
You're most welcome, sir! Have you ever written anything for harpsichord or organ?

Nothing directly for harpsichord, though my friend Paul is working with me to adapt Lost Waters for harpsichord.

Quite a bit for organ, including a daunting Toccata.

Père Malfait

I'm sure Lost Waters will be very interesting on harpsichord!

I'd love to check out your Toccata - is it available on your blog, or has it been published? 

karlhenning

Quote from: Pére Malfait on July 13, 2009, 11:59:28 AM
I'm sure Lost Waters will be very interesting on harpsichord!

I'd love to check out your Toccata - is it available on your blog, or has it been published? 

Thank you!  The Toccata is in production at Lux Nova Press;  your kind query reminds me that I should ask if there is a roll-out date!

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 09, 2009, 04:18:11 AM

Lost Waters, Opus 27 — harp solo
2. Irving's Hudson
3. Thoreau's Walden
4. Whitman's Ontario
5. Carlos Williams's Passaic

Hello Karl - listened to the work above in my office today - wonderful playing on the harp and quite 'atmospheric' compositions - enjoyed much!  Thanks for giving us this opportunity -  :D

Dave  :)

secondwind

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 10, 2009, 07:20:42 AM
To repeat, in case some missed it (who prefer not to miss it).

Cari amici,

My excellent friend Shauna has uploaded the recording from the 24 June event.  Notwithstanding the fact that the composer wishes that all might have been better still, it is my great pleasure to make this available to you.  I place only the following conditions (which I have no way of enforcing, and regarding which I therefore rely completely on your discretion):

a.  I earnestly hope that you may enjoy listening.

h.  Track list:

1. Blue Shamrock, Opus 63 — clarinet solo

Lost Waters, Opus 27 — harp solo
2. Irving's Hudson
3. Thoreau's Walden
4. Whitman's Ontario
5. Carlos Williams's Passaic

6. stars & guitars, Opus 95 — bass flute & harp
7. The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword, Opus 94a — alto flute solo
8. Fragments of « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a — flute, clarinet & piano
9. Radiant Maples, Opus 59 — flute, clarinet harp & piano

========

10. Fragments of « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a — rehearsal
11. Radiant Maples, Opus 59 — rehearsal excerpt

========

I wish you all good listening, and I thank you for all your kind support.

Cheers,
~Karl
I've been enjoying listening to these, bit by bit, getting my first taste of Henningmusik. (Perhaps it is my antiquated computer system at fault, but it takes an inordinate amount of time for the music to transfer to my computer so I can listen to it!  Nevertheless, I persevere.)  What a varied feast so far!  I have very much enjoyed The Angel--the alto flute has a very cool sound, and this is a lovely performance.  The harp pieces, Lost Waters, were lovely and intriguing.  And I liked the playfulness and inventiveness of Blue Shamrock.  I see that Stars and  Guitars is quite a large file, so it will have to wait for another day.  Bravo! :)

karlhenning

greg

I thought of a title for the clarinet/alto flute duet- "op.13 Prelude to Everything and Nothing." Now I just gotta write it.  :)

karlhenning

I like the title.

Now, get writing  ;)