Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 06, 2009, 08:01:21 PM
And even choral groups who concertize independent of actual church services . . . similarly, far the greater part either do new music which is a lot 'sexier' than mine, or they're devoted to musical curatorship.  Not much of a slice for me to target . . . .

Well even Bach found it difficult to compete with the sexier Telemann, but we know the winner was there in the long run. 8)

karlhenning

Just sent a disc with the NEC recording of Out in the Sun to the gent in Ann Arbor who will be conducting the piece this November.

karlhenning

Anyone in or near Atlanta, game for some mid-November Henningmusick?

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 08, 2009, 11:33:20 AM
Anyone in or near Atlanta, game for some mid-November Henningmusick?

Well, we moved a few years ago from there, back to Ohio!  You could have stayed with us, across from Oglethorpe University!

And we could have driven with you down all of the 317 streets with "Peachtree" in the name!   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on September 10, 2009, 09:05:15 AM
Well, we moved a few years ago from there, back to Ohio!  You could have stayed with us, across from Oglethorpe University!

And we could have driven with you down all of the 317 streets with "Peachtree" in the name!   :o

Timing!  :D

Wish I had more energy this evening;  it would be well to practice . . . .

karlhenning

I did practice last night, you know.

DavidW

Why the old avatar Karl, did your beard return to you after it's brave voyage around the world? :)

karlhenning

I had to lose Danger Mouse, and this was an av I had right to hand  8)

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2009, 06:26:44 AM
I had to lose Danger Mouse, and this was an av I had right to hand  8)

I like the avatar of you sans beard more. ;D

karlhenning

It's not accurate anymore, though . . . the facial hair has been coming back in.

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2009, 06:44:44 AM
It's not accurate anymore, though . . . the facial hair has been coming back in.

Yeah you see you kind of have to shave daily to keep it smooth. ;D ;D jeje

karlhenning

karlhenning

Notes on Heedless Watermelon, to a flautist new to the piece

1.   At the Lo stesso tempo (m. 21ff.) Peter 'conducts' the beats . . . with the switch from unison to the 'freely' different rhythms between the two parts that starts at m.21, having the beat marked helps keep things in order.
2.   m.50ff. takes a lot of ironing;  the combination of 1. the flute being rhythmically all over the place, 2. the clarinet providing nearly a moto perpetuo backdrop, and 3. the rapid tempo, has meant that we worked that section out many times, in hopes of ensuring that we reach the unison at the double-bar at m.63 together.
3.   After so much unison writing, the close canon beginning with the final eighth-note of m.81 requires a little extra 'awareness'.
4.   For the most part, the section beginning at m.86 falls readily into place;  the 11/8 of m.88 is a little tricky.
5.   Same note as note (3.), viz. m.124ff.
6.   Material from note (2.) returns at m.194
7.   The last bar should last the equivalent of about five measures 'in time' . . . Peter & I have been holding the forte steady for three bars' worth, and then decrescendo-ing (which must be a duplicate present participle) for two bars' worth.

karlhenning

Very good Watermelon rehearsal tonight.

karlhenning

Re-charging the Microtrack II, which will likely be the instrument recording the proceedings tomorrow.

karlhenning

A little, just a little nervous about tonight.  Feeling good.

karlhenning

Yeesh, I've got to throw a program together.  They won't have anything at the library.  Won't need many . . . if I do up 40 of 'em, we'll have ample left over.

ChamberNut

Best of luck this evening, mon ami!  :)

DavidW

Where's Karl's lucky beard when he needs it? :)

Play that watermelon heedlessly Karl!!! ;D  Oh wait on second thought, perhaps not altogether heedlessly... :-\

:D

:)

Cato

Quote from: DavidW on September 17, 2009, 05:28:09 AM
Where's Karl's lucky beard when he needs it? :)

Play that watermelon heedlessly Karl!!! ;D  Oh wait on second thought, perhaps not altogether heedlessly... :-\

:D

:)

That beard was lucky?   ???

Grow beard, grow!  Last night my wife and I strolled through The Asian Supermarket, where we saw tea "guaranteed hair to grow!"

Since it did not tell exactly where the hair would grow, maybe Karl can chug-a-lug some this afternoon.  I think it had ginger in it.

Of course, if Ginger from Gilligan's Island came with it, well...

0:)  The joke stops here!   $:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)