Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Meh;  if I'm not resilient to some of life's buffeting now, . . .

Separately . . . Angelic alterations.

karlhenning

And here is The Angel with the ossia passages for the easement of nervous trumpeters . . . .

karlhenning

And, while I need yet to add some detail, the composition per se of the last of the Opus 96 set for cello ensemble is done:

karlhenning

(Not bad for the first day of vacation, I think.)

Bogey

How do the names for your compositions evolve or come to be, Karl?  Maybe a few examples if they differ form one to another.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Many of them are just a happy discovery, Bill.  Sometimes if I have to think too hard about a title, it never really takes off.

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 05, 2009, 03:39:34 PM
And, while I need yet to add some detail, the composition per se of the last of the Opus 96 set for cello ensemble is done:

More on that.

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on September 07, 2009, 05:56:54 AM
Well even Bach found it difficult to compete with the sexier Telemann, but we know the winner was there in the long run. 8)

Formula for comparing other composers to Bach:
[Name of composer]...he's better than you are.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on October 14, 2009, 06:24:41 PM
Formula for comparing other composers to Bach:
[Name of composer]...he's better than you are.

jejeje ;D  Yeah my mind kinda runs that way.  But since he did not write operas... there is always Handel... 0:)

karlhenning

QuoteTwo recent nights at Symphony.

I sent in that review of the 10 Oct concert, really before the dust of my composing it had fair settled, and I wondered if it might be a horrific mess.

I think it may be all right, after all.

Cato

Allow me to share my thoughts on some of Karl's works which were performed in Boston at the library a few weeks ago.

GMG members have read my comments in the past years about how chamber music is not my favorite thing, in general, although there are exceptions: Borodin's and Ravel's quartets, the Bartok Sixth,  the frustrated symphony in the Bruckner Quintet, and Bernard Herrmann's Echoes are the main ones.  

Karl's works join this august group with no problem!

Heedless Watermelon shows an abundance of imagination: one measure of a work's worth for me is how much did it surprise me, e.g.  could I guess the next note(s)?  Heedless Watermelon was a fun maze to hear, always intriguing and expressive. Irreplaceable Doodles (solo clarinet) strikes me as being more meditative and serious than its title, and therefore on the CD led nicely into  The Angel Who Bears a Flaming Sword (solo flute).  Since a flute always has a certain slight melancholy in its timbre, I wonder if the instrument does not express the idea behind the work even better than a trumpet.  Studies in Impermanence must by definition show a meditative nature: mysterious, ebullient, sad, and almost every other mood appears.  I find the work a Gregorian Chant summary of life.  Lost Waters is a perfect work for solo harp: the music contains an Americana flavor and provides the image from and for its inspiration without clichés.  (Passaic was particularly dramatic in a subtle way.)

And the Tropes on Pasha's Aria from White Nights – although under 3 minutes long – must enthuse every listener to want the completed ballet performed!  

To paraphrase Rex Harrison's Pope Julius to Charlton Heston's Michelangelo: "When will you make an end of it, Karl?"   0:)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Many thanks, from my heart.

karlhenning

There's certainly some more chamber music in my immediate future:  now that I have met a cellist (and one whose husband, most conveniently, plays keyboard) my dear Maria is pressing for action on a promise I made her long since to write a cl/vc/pf trio . . . .

greg

Quote from: Cato on October 19, 2009, 10:47:21 AM
To paraphrase Rex Harrison's Pope Julius to Charlton Heston's Michelangelo: "When will you make an end of it, Karl?"   0:)

Probably 3-5 years from now.  :-\