Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

. . .

I think that there Ayatollah just called me a drug trafficker.

Bogey

A Henning-Mozart tandem.  Very nice, Karl!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

There has been much squonking in the vehicle.  :)

karlhenning

Splendid!

Anyone going to be in Atlanta on 17 Nov?

MN Dave

Who are the performers on that disc?

karlhenning

Peter H. Bloom, flutes
Mary Jane Rupert, harp
and myself

Bogey

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 29, 2009, 05:20:12 AM
Peter H. Bloom, flutes
Mary Jane Rupert, harp
and myself

Is this the "library crew", Karl?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Aye, Bill.  Hope you are enjoying the disc!

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 27, 2009, 04:27:36 AM
Out in the Sun comes to Ann Arbor.

Karl: the Imperial High Command (aka Mrs. Cato    :o  ) has approved our presence at the Ann Arbor concert next week! 

I just wish I had some stereo recording equipment!  At the least I will take some pictures of everything for you!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on October 29, 2009, 06:38:01 AM
Karl: the Imperial High Command (aka Mrs. Cato    :o  ) has approved our presence at the Ann Arbor concert next week!

That is wonderful!

Quote from: CatoI just wish I had some stereo recording equipment!  At the least I will take some pictures of everything for you!

That will be wonderful!  :)

(As for recording, I am sure they'll record at the house.)

karlhenning

I do hope that Cato made it to the performance . . . .

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 05, 2009, 07:14:40 PM
I do hope that Cato made it to the performance . . . .

Yes, we made it!

Out In The Sun is one of Karl's best works: trombones and a tuba provide a kind of slow, "warm and glowing" basso continuo, (although the tuba does get a moderate workout), while sparks of driving energy are provided by a quartet of saxophones and two clarinets (one alternating on a bass clarinet).

The "sparks" are intriguing melodic fragments passed around by the clarinets and saxophones, and they build to various climaxes: for an image, you could envision a partly sunny day, when clouds at times "tame" the rays and at other times release them to flash around.  (This is not to imply that Karl had such a tone-poetic idea in mind, but given the title he chose, it would seem appropriate.)

Eventually the work slows down to emphasize those "warm" and, to my ear, rather mysterious, meditations in the brass, whose music has maintained a detached, almost Olympian tone, although for a few moments the tuba does attempt to dance with the winds.

The student orchestra gave a nice reading, and the players were obviously very engaged and enthusiastic about the work.  The conductor (Rodney Dorsey) kept everything in balance, and the lines were usually clear.  A few errors here and there (e.g. the one clarinetist working on the bass clarinet was having trouble with the mouthpiece at the beginning) ultimately did not detract from the performance.  The response from the audience, numbering around 75 to 100, was equally enthusiastic: a very mixed group consisting of parents, elderly college-town types, and of course assorted students, including the curious 21st-century types, who feel they must be seen sporting scarves (even though the weather was not cold (40's)) to proclaim sort of personal statement.

I will comment later on the other works on the program!  And I hope the recording turns out well!

karlhenning

Delighted to hear so, many thanks, Cato!

karlhenning

Finished the impromptu choral piece for Paul.  I had essentially finished it Tuesday, but needed to "fix" three or four places;  so in an hour, got it locked up.  As it was, the piece sounded a bit of a hash because of the flawed passages. Now . . . well, I don't think it's one of my twenty personal best pieces, but I own it entirely.

Cato

Quote from: Cato on November 06, 2009, 04:28:43 AM
Yes, we made it!

Out In The Sun is one of Karl's best works: trombones and a tuba provide a kind of slow, "warm and glowing" basso continuo, (although the tuba does get a moderate workout), while sparks of driving energy are provided by a quartet of saxophones and two clarinets (one alternating on a bass clarinet).

The "sparks" are intriguing melodic fragments passed around by the clarinets and saxophones, and they build to various climaxes: for an image, you could envision a partly sunny day, when clouds at times "tame" the rays and at other times release them to flash around.  (This is not to imply that Karl had such a tone-poetic idea in mind, but given the title he chose, it would seem appropriate.)

Eventually the work slows down to emphasize those "warm" and, to my ear, rather mysterious, meditations in the brass, whose music has maintained a detached, almost Olympian tone, although for a few moments the tuba does attempt to dance with the winds.

The student orchestra gave a nice reading, and the players were obviously very engaged and enthusiastic about the work.  The conductor (Rodney Dorsey) kept everything in balance, and the lines were usually clear.  A few errors here and there (e.g. the one clarinetist working on the bass clarinet was having trouble with the mouthpiece at the beginning) ultimately did not detract from the performance.  The response from the audience, numbering around 75 to 100, was equally enthusiastic: a very mixed group consisting of parents, elderly college-town types, and of course assorted students, including the curious 21st-century types, who feel they must be seen sporting scarves (even though the weather was not cold (40's)) to proclaim sort of personal statement.

I will comment later on the other works on the program!  And I hope the recording turns out well!

Here is the University of Michigan building, the Walgreen Center, where the concert with Out In The Sun took place.

Conductor Rodney Dorsey

From the University of Michigan website:

"Rodney Dorsey is currently the Associate Director of Bands at the University of Michigan where he conducts the Concert Band, teaches undergraduate conducting, and conducts the Michigan Youth Band.  Prior to this appointment, Dorsey served on the faculties of DePaul and Northwestern Universities.  He received the Bachelor of Music Education degree from the Florida State University and the Masters and Doctor of Music degrees in conducting from Northwestern University.  He studied conducting with Dr. James Croft, Mr. John P. Paynter, and Dr. Mallory Thompson.  He was a clarinet student of Mr. Fred Ormand and Dr. Frank Kowalsky.  Dorsey gained extensive experience teaching in the public schools of Florida and Georgia.  Ensembles under Dr. Dorsey's direction have performed at several state and national events including the Bands of America National Concert Band Festival.  He is active as a guest conductor, clinician, and adjudicator in the United States and Hungary."