Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

mahler10th

De Profundis.
It will be necessary for me to turn it up, put on the headphones, put the lights out, and EXPERIENCE this...awesome.

Elgarian

After two listenings, I'm finding the first half (which was new to me of course) a lot tougher than the second half (which I've listened to 4 more times). Whether this is because the second half is now safe and familiar, while the first half remains scary and new, I'm not sure. I still think that very short passage starting about 6.15 when they sing (I think) "speret Israel in Domino/Quia apud Dominum misericordia etc" is spine-shiveringly beautiful ... is it OK for me to wish there were more moments like that? I seem to phase in and out of touch with the piece as I'm listening.

I'm not at all sure whether I'm 'getting' this in any musically valid way, but it's a fascinating exercise.

karlhenning

Well, so far as I can tell, you're getting it to some degree, and getting it in as musically valid a fashion as any of us.

I am serenely of two minds in the matter.  Firstly, any composer would be grateful for any of his music shivering a listener's spine, I should think;  and I am indeed humbly grateful.  I don't think I should tempt the Fates by agreeing that there should be more such moments in the piece (as who knows if I could write any piece thus) . . . but I affirm the okay-ness of your wanting more moments like that.

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 28, 2010, 03:47:37 PM
Well, so far as I can tell, you're getting it to some degree, and getting it in as musically valid a fashion as any of us.

I am serenely of two minds in the matter.  Firstly, any composer would be grateful for any of his music shivering a listener's spine, I should think;  and I am indeed humbly grateful.  I don't think I should tempt the Fates by agreeing that there should be more such moments in the piece (as who knows if I could write any piece thus) . . . but I affirm the okay-ness of your wanting more moments like that.

Well ... I think I must indeed be 'getting it' in some measure. I  was pottering about doing little jobs last night, and quite often, you know, I have pieces of music playing in my head, perhaps only semi-consciously, as I go about doing things. Well, while I was drying up some pots, there was this music, this singing, going on in my head, and I put down the tea-cloth and thought 'gosh that's lovely - what is it?' And it was your 'speret Israel in Domino' passage!

mahler10th

Quote from: Elgarian on February 28, 2010, 11:51:54 PM
Well ... I think I must indeed be 'getting it' in some measure. I  was pottering about doing little jobs last night, and quite often, you know, I have pieces of music playing in my head, perhaps only semi-consciously, as I go about doing things. Well, while I was drying up some pots, there was this music, this singing, going on in my head, and I put down the tea-cloth and thought 'gosh that's lovely - what is it?' And it was your 'speret Israel in Domino' passage!

Spot on.  It is the after effects of Karls music that I pick up too.  There is something in his music which is not settling, but quite memorable...I am another in the masses who would buy a commercially available Henning CD, because he's reflecting something that becomes like a mirror after a GOOD hearing.

karlhenning

I am honored, gents; many thanks!

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 01, 2010, 12:06:41 PM
I am honored, gents; many thanks!

Oh no, we're thanking you. But the point is - we now have excellent music to listen to in our heads while we dry the dinner pots. What we want now is suitable similar accompaniments for dusting the shelves, vacuuming the carpets, hanging out the washing .... So there's no time to lose! ('More!' they cried, ironing their shirts. 'More!' they yelled, mashing the spuds....)

karlhenning

Working on some good spud-mashing music this very month . . . .

greg

Well, I subscribed.  ;)
And as Elgarian said, thank you for the awesome music- really enjoyed this one.

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 01, 2010, 12:57:13 PM
Working on some good spud-mashing music this very month . . . .
All spud-mashing activity is here suspended, while we wait.

karlhenning

Last night I had one last task to fulfill in obligation to the upcoming performances of the Passion.  The other piece on the program is some Bach, and Paul had the idea (which would both give employment to the instrumentalists he's hiring, and keep the choir's pitch from sagging) of adding (very quiet) instrumental support to the bass line during the extended sostenuto passages.  Paul trod very delicately with the question (not wishing to interfere with Artist's Vision, and all that), but I told him, "Actually when I first schemed the Passion, I did have a small instrumental ensemble in mind, though I later abandoned the idea.  So, let's do."

Anyway, at that time I did promise to provide a "continuo part" for the instrumentalists to read from.  This, I finally got 'round to preparing last night.  Since it was a matter of taking the score files (in Finale) and adapting them, I got a refreshed sense of what a nuisance Finale is to work in, and of why I made the switch to Sibelius.  Took two hours, but I got it done.

karlhenning

Paul had a couple of minor changes to request, partly springing from my own misunderstanding.  There will be organ and violone helping out with low parts, beginning with the Crucifixion.  The "continuo part" I prepared on Thursday evening was essentially the baritone and bass lines, transposed half a step higher (is the organ pitched Baroquely? must be a portative).  Somehow I thoght there would be a second string instrument, so I just prepared that one part (one part for all), but Paul asked (a) that I drop the baritone line for the violone player (to aid page-turns), and strike the continuo from two measures where he wanted them to drop out.  Got this done Saturday morning.

This evening is the first rehearsal of the choir with the continuo . . . so I am looking forward to hearing reports of an excellent and unusually focused rehearsal by the choir.

karlhenning

This will have a Where's Waldo? feel to it, but . . . a fresh edition of the Opus 98:

karlhenning

Paul and I are going to give this its first rehearsal tomorrow.  Which, come to think of it, is the new moon, isn't it?

Coincidence?

karlhenning

And, of course, after Paul and I have flailed at Lunar Glare a bit, and had a bite of subsequent dinner, it's Sine Nomine's rehearsal of the Passion.  A full day!

karlhenning