Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on May 16, 2010, 01:26:20 PM
Sounds like you're going to be playing it way too fast ....

Hah! My pianist would have something to say about that design.

Quote from: secondwind on May 16, 2010, 01:46:12 PM
No, I see I've led astray by a time zone difference.  So, how did it go?

Not to suggest that anything was perfect — it wasn't — but this must be the best I've been playing in many a year. Feels really good, and I've got a [some kind of] recording of both the Out in the Moon program this past Wednesday, and the two Brahms sonatas yesterday.

Much to do today, though, as Peter Bloom & I play at King's Chapel tomorrow. Hard to think ahead enough to guess when I may be able to slap the sound files into uploadable form. Miraculously handy device, this Microtrak II. For both programs, though, it wasn't practical for me to do otherwise than hit 'Record' at the beginning and leave it run the whole time. So I've got three humongo tracks which I need to unpack.

Great problem to have, though. Beats those many occasions I played when there was no recording capability.

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2010, 05:55:39 AMMiraculously handy device, this Microtrak II. For both programs, though, it wasn't practical for me to do otherwise than hit 'Record' at the beginning and leave it run the whole time. So I've got three humongo tracks which I need to unpack.

What sort of microphones do you use?

karlhenning

Quote from: Scarpia on May 17, 2010, 08:01:42 AM
What sort of microphones do you use?

Just a small set that came with the device.

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2010, 05:55:39 AM
Not to suggest that anything was perfect — it wasn't
Just as well. (Remember what Ruskin said.)

Delighted to hear about the recordings.

secondwind

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2010, 05:55:39 AM
Hah! My pianist would have something to say about that design.

Not to suggest that anything was perfect — it wasn't — but this must be the best I've been playing in many a year. Feels really good, and I've got a [some kind of] recording of both the Out in the Moon program this past Wednesday, and the two Brahms sonatas yesterday.

Much to do today, though, as Peter Bloom & I play at King's Chapel tomorrow. Hard to think ahead enough to guess when I may be able to slap the sound files into uploadable form. Miraculously handy device, this Microtrak II. For both programs, though, it wasn't practical for me to do otherwise than hit 'Record' at the beginning and leave it run the whole time. So I've got three humongo tracks which I need to unpack.

Great problem to have, though. Beats those many occasions I played when there was no recording capability.

I'm looking forward to hearing the recordings whenever they are available.  And I am envying you the Microtrak II!

karlhenning

Peter & I will meet at King's Chapel at 11.  We don't need to do much ahead of the recital itself, just work out some choreography for Here You Go / Hear You Go. (The Microtrak II is charged and ready.)

karlhenning

The flawless performance (hoy, Ruskin!) of Irreplaceable Doodles still eludes me, but yesterday's was probably the best I've played it yet, lots of nerve, very musical.  Heedless Watermelon is in a reliable groove.  Yesterday was the first time that Peter & I played All the Birds in Mondrian's Cage together (I first played it with Nicole down in Atlanta) . . . went beautifully.  Swivelocity & Boppage went nicely, though perhaps last Wednesday's performance was a bit tighter.

Haven't checked any of the recordings yet . . . probably this coming Saturday.

karlhenning

Bulletins arrived in yesterday's mail attesting to the use of my Three Short Pieces for organ at a parish in Newton, Mass on Saturday the 15th.

And I shall have lunch today with the conductor who created the première of Out in the Sun.

karlhenning

Nice e-mail message just in from a friend here in Boston, who is an assistant director at a Unitarian parish (chap named Dan). I sent him the setting which I had written for Paul and the FCB choir (and who have performed the motet very nicely) of a classic Unitarian text ("Love is the spirit of this church . . .") Dan is sure they will make use of it (far better than the dippy setting that we currently have, he writes).

As always, my music has legs in a small, obscure way.

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 16, 2010, 04:32:25 AM
And now, to play along as part of a service (music to include my Canzona & Gigue, though).

Images here.

karlhenning

At St Martin's in Providence, enjoying the dress rehearsal
What a beauty the Vaughan Williams mass is!

karlhenning

Word is official: DMC Duo are going to take Angular Whimsies on tour.

karlhenning

karlhenning

The ladies of the FCB choir will sing the Alleluia in D this Sunday.  The service streams live on the radio, WERS 88.9FM Boston, and begins at 11AM (Eastern).

greg

Last night I dreamed I was at your church, and could see you and your choir in the background. I've forgotten the details, though, but do remember it was great.

(the dream I had after that was a little less pleasant- I was with my teacher and classmates in a hallway, and something alerted us. My teacher walked around and came back and told us that there are people screaming and bleeding, and that it was some school shooter. Then we just locked ourselves in the elevator).

karlhenning

What I dreaded most of all was:

Quote. . . Then we just locked ourselves in the elevator. And your music started playing.)

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 07, 2010, 05:26:00 AM
What I dreaded most of all was:

LOL
If it did, I'd be wondering why they're actually playing good music in an elevator. And I think if it was something like Out in the Sun, I'd forget there was someone with a gun outside the elevator...