Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

If you do go pantonal, here's my suggested tone row (I take a strict interpretation of the rules).

C G F# C  F E C D# C# G# A C# A# B C# D

karlhenning

This is early in the process, so I pray you think kindly . . . I'm having fun with it, though.

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 13, 2010, 03:16:25 PM
This is early in the process, so I pray you think kindly . . . I'm having fun with it, though.

The last page shows a certain lack of inspiration.  Do we really have to sit through all those measures of rests?  ::)

karlhenning

Well, when you're right, you're right; I'd better fill out that space.

karlhenning

The bus this morning was a little more rumbly than usual. And my pen was starting to dry up. Still got some music written, though.

karlhenning

I'm covering more ground without tidying up what's come before . . . again, practice mercy . . . .

Luke

Is this a fugato I see before me.....?

karlhenning

Don't know what came over me ; )

karlhenning

Well, I got a very little more work done on Fair Warning this weekend; but largely I took the weekend off.  Sketched some more on the bus ride in; will see if I cannot build up a head of steam here.

karlhenning

Now, here's kind of a funny thought.  While I am warmly interested in a disc mentioned elsewhere, of some Martinů cantatas with chamber accompaniment, I know that I want to write my own cantata (mentioned here) before I listen to them.  OTOH, I have ordered in probably about eight discs of other Martinů music, to which I may well listen before I have completed the viola sonata with scarcely a concern.  Perhaps because I already have a sufficiently strong notion of the viola sonata, and this because I am currently at work on it (even when I am an apparent dud over the weekend). Who knows?

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 19, 2010, 03:52:21 AM
Brahms
Chorale Preludes, Opus 122
Nicholas Danby

Recorded at the Church of the Immaculate Conception
Mayfair, London

I love music and performances like this, for listening makes me want to write more organ music.  It's an impulse I must resist, or rather, re-channel into the pieces on my writing-desk at present.  But all the same, a great feeling.

karlhenning

The twisty, noodly viola passage which I sketched over three brief sessions yesterday (morning bus ride, part of lunch break, afternoon bus ride) works every bit as well as I imagined it;  and I added light-touch piano gloss here and there.  Color me inordinately pleased with the result.

This morning I started the next section, peaceful dissonant chords in the piano at a relaxed tempo.  The piece has at last taken on its own existence, and it seems all I need to do is . . . show up.

karlhenning

Okay, noodly notes and beyond . . . just past half finished with this first movement of the viola sonata (which is to say, that big double-bar at the bottom of page 9 is a lie . . . .) ::

Saul

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 20, 2010, 03:15:24 PM
Okay, noodly notes and beyond . . . just past half finished with this first movement of the viola sonata (which is to say, that big double-bar at the bottom of page 9 is a lie . . . .) ::

A Mp3 can do wonders you know...

Luke

Saul, pay attention - it's only in a half-finished state, Karl's 'baring all' in showing us the piece in this condition, but he's not going to be able to have a recording of it yet. Use your eyes and your internal ear!  :)

Cato

Quote from: Luke on July 20, 2010, 10:02:39 PM
Saul, pay attention - it's only in a half-finished state, Karl's 'baring all' in showing us the piece in this condition, but he's not going to be able to have a recording of it yet. Use your eyes and your internal ear! :)

:o    ???    :o    ???    :o    ???   

0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Yes, Luke, it does feel strange "publishing" a work-in-(halting)-progess, but then, most of us are mates here : )

Luke

Quote from: Cato on July 21, 2010, 04:06:41 AM

:o    ???    :o    ???    :o    ???   

0:)

Where's the smiley for 'my thoughts exactly'?

Luke

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 21, 2010, 04:10:09 AM
Yes, Luke, it does feel strange "publishing" a work-in-(halting)-progess, but then, most of us are mates here : )

Absolutely - the same reason I don't feel shy about putting up my deeply flawed early efforts: because (IMO) these threads oughtn't to be merely a composer's shop window - mentioning no names - but a glimpse into his workshop and a chance for him to explore and explain and ramble.... That's why I value mine so much, anyway.

Saul

Quote from: Luke on July 20, 2010, 10:02:39 PM
Saul, pay attention - it's only in a half-finished state, Karl's 'baring all' in showing us the piece in this condition, but he's not going to be able to have a recording of it yet. Use your eyes and your internal ear!  :)

Got it...