Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

I have been encouraged to prepare an index for the HQ, and it is a most sound idea . . . for now, at least, an index for this year's audio and/or video:

26 February De profundis [ Jaya Lakshminarayan & friends ]

15 March Passion rehearsal A [ Sine Nomine ]

15 March Passion rehearsal B [ Sine Nomine ]

15 March Passion rehearsal C [ Sine Nomine ]

12 May recital [ k a rl h e nn i ng Ensemble (Bloom/Henning/Cienniwa) ]

18 May recital [ Bloom/Henning ]

23 May pre-concert rehearsal [ Sine Nomine ]

22 June recital [ N. Chamberlain/B. Chamberlain/Henning ]

Cato

Karl: What kind of pedaling do you plan on using for bars 20-23?  You might consider a sustain pedal there.

Most impressive perhaps is the interweaving of the 5:4 figure throughout the work! 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on July 27, 2010, 01:28:04 PM
Karl: What kind of pedaling do you plan on using for bars 20-23?  You might consider a sustain pedal there.

Yes! : )

More work tonight, and I am really pleased with how the "development proper" has played out.  Very excited about the piece.

karlhenning

I've decided that (is it too funny of me to make these decisions so seemingly on the fly?) since the slow movement (Suspension Bridge) will be 'the relaxation', I don't want the end of the first movement to 'wind down'.  I know exactly what I want to do for the rest of Fair Warning, it's just costing some sweat to realize it.  Which I suppose is good, because it doesn't mean that I always coast . . . .

So, I've decided to keep up the velocity through to the end.  Of course, as you recall from last night's instalment, I hadn't quite reached the beginning of the end.  And I've been a couple of hours getting the 20-mm retransition of my dreams (as it were) realized.  Took me a chunk of time to do so, but . . . it is everything I plotted.

I'll attach just the new stuff from this evening.

karlhenning

Do you know, I actually don't like how sudden that last measure of 7/16 (m.196) feels . . . I'm going to change it to 5/8 and add another three 16th-notes.

karlhenning

Heard this morning from a European violist who cast a kindly eye upon the 27 July draught. She says everything is playable,  though in a few places it will be a challenge to find the best fingering. The only emendation she suggested was to break up one particular four-note slur into two slurs,two notes each — for fingering.considerations. It's a change I'll make gladly;  I really think it nigh unto a miracle that so much of what I have tried to make a challenging piece, lies reasonably well in the hand.

karlhenning

Today is a long one (museum tonight) . . . so I 'anticipated' by taking last night off.  I did some sketching on my lunch break yesterday, but I also have had in mind some hoops I want to have the violist jump through, keeping in view:

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 28, 2010, 04:44:02 PM
So, I've decided to keep up the velocity through to the end.

I may sketch a measure or two during the odd break today, and perhaps after tonight's rest (and then some grocery shopping) I may burn & slash my way to the end of Fair Warning.

karlhenning

Still mulling, but I've reached more or less the end of the movement.

karlhenning

An mp3 would be far too large to attach . . . maybe I can manage a link . . . .

karlhenning

MIDI of Fair Warning, the first movement of the viola sonata.

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 31, 2010, 07:47:55 PM
Gosh, Karl, this one is a tough nut to crack for someone like me....  :o

Scarpia

Quote from: Elgarian on August 01, 2010, 08:31:52 AM

I find the work very appealing, although the electronic representation of the viola is a problem.

Franco

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 31, 2010, 07:47:55 PM

There is a lot there to digest - but listening to it I can say that it is a work that immediately appeals to me.  I'd like to spend more time with the score and possibly make more informed comments.

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on August 01, 2010, 08:31:52 AM

It is something of a fiery-eyed tiger of a piece, I think.

Quote from: Scarpia on August 01, 2010, 10:30:31 AM
I find the work very appealing, although the electronic representation of the viola is a problem.

Thanks!  Yes, the 'realization' has its limitations.  Nothing for it, but to hope for a good recording of the performance!

karlhenning

Quote from: Franco on August 01, 2010, 10:41:47 AM
There is a lot there to digest - but listening to it I can say that it is a work that immediately appeals to me.  I'd like to spend more time with the score and possibly make more informed comments.

Thanks, Franco!

Brahmsian

I enjoyed Fair Warning, Karl.   :)  Similar to Scarpia, it will be great to be able to hear a performance with a standard viola.

karlhenning

MN Dave

Scarpia

I assume you wouldn't have written this unless a viola player has agreed to play it. 

In any case, maybe you should follow Brahms example and declare that your viola sonata may be played on clarinet.  That would at least allow you to switch your midi player from viola mode to clarinet mode, which would produce a more sane realization of the music.

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on August 01, 2010, 06:04:06 PM
Excellent work IMHO.  8)

Thanks, Soaring Tortiose!

Quote from: Scarpia on August 01, 2010, 10:02:15 PM
I assume you wouldn't have written this unless a viola player has agreed to play it.

Interesting assumption; how do you mean?