Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saul

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 08, 2010, 05:36:21 AM
Re-fresh:

Score of Fair Warning

MIDI of Fair Warning

Karl, what in the world was that? are you serious?
This was very tenacious, I wish it had some charm...

karlhenning

Quote from: Saul on August 10, 2010, 02:14:38 PM
Karl, what in the world was that? are you serious?

Quite serious; what a funny question!

Quote from: SaulThis was very tenacious, I wish it had some charm...

By this, you really only mean that you wish the piece did as you might do in a piece.  I am quite content to make my own music, and not music after yours, Saul.

And in fact, I think the movement does possess its moments of charm.

Quote from: DavidRoss on August 11, 2010, 06:44:08 AM
Reminds me that I've not heard any of his music in quite some time.  Symphony #2 goes into the queue!

There's a passage in Fair Warning which (in method rather than tone) is something of a nod to Hovhaness.

Saul

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 11, 2010, 06:51:59 AM

Quite serious; what a funny question!

By this, you really only mean that you wish the piece did as you might do in a piece.  I am quite content to make my own music, and not music after yours, Saul.

And in fact, I think the movement does possess its moments of charm.

There's a passage in Fair Warning which (in method rather than tone) is something of a nod to Hovhaness.
That music was a slap on the face..

All I can say is 'Outch'.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Saul on August 11, 2010, 12:52:57 PM
That music was a slap on the face..

All I can say is 'Outch'.

I don't personally care for a lot of thoughts that stem from the mind of Herr Henning, but he's a good composer, and I find his music highly enjoyable. (Even the religious stuff.)

karlhenning

What a party last night.

Just kidding. I mean, I was at a party, but I needed to drive home after.

My kind of party, too.  Touched base with three of the musicians who I hope will brave a new performance of Castelo dos anjos.  Met a singer who works in a Unitarian choir just west of Boston . . . never know if maybe her choir director may take to Love Is the Spirit.  And I refreshed acquaintance with a harpsichordist who is game to take a look at Lunar Glare.

A lot of the attendees are early music crowd.  One fellow I hadn't ever met before said he was just starting to get into early music.  I said, "I have a different angle on it. For me, early music is what I write when I'm on a six o'clock bus into Boston."

karlhenning

Just folded into the Sibelius file, ten or so measures of MS. I've composed in the past few days of Suspension Bridge (in Dave's Shed) . . . very pleased that all apperars (to me, anyway) to be on track.

karlhenning

Have now fought and won my way to measure 64. A nice day of spotty rain here in Boston . . . good for both the outdoor plants and the indoor composer. Onward!

karlhenning

Now I've made it to measure 80 (though the bottom of p.4 ends with m.77). Onward!

karlhenning

A lot of work done today;  more yet to do, but the iron is hot.

ii Suspension Bridge 22 Aug downloaded 10 times

Luke

Blimey, there's some intruiging stuff in there, Karl!  8)

Luke

This has the air of a particularly rewarding project, this viola sonata of yours. Certainly the combination of invention, play, rigour and complexity with which you are working strikes me very strongly (these are qualities which impress me in all your work, but the degree to which you are extending the performers - and yourself? - both technically and also expresively strikes me particularly strongly here).

karlhenning

Thanks! Yes, something of a stretch, so there's a bit of 'labor' involved . . . but it feels great, and I am finding myself largely pleased with the result.  Onward!

karlhenning

A week and more went by, and I couldn't quite find my footing again. (Part of that was the most pleasant surprise of visitors from Europe.)  When I went to some of my (verbal) notes for the rest of Suspension Bridge, I wished I had written some more detail, as at first I wondered myself what I meant . . . .

Now, though, I am graced with a Muse of fire, and even on a day like today, when I have a little time here, a little time there until evening . . . I've accomplished an astonishing bit.  Later I'll toss in a fresh draught.

karlhenning

Now to rest . . . more work tomorrow!

ii Suspension Bridge 23 Aug downloaded 6 times

Mirror Image

A few questions for you, Karl:

1. Have any orchestras commissioned any works from you?
2. Have you composed any symphonies? If yes, then what is your general approach to the symphonic form?
3. Where does your inspiration come from for your music? Are you influenced by nature, the city, philosophy, etc.?
4. Since you play clarinet, how often do you think about the woodwind section, in particular the clarinet, in your music?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these. Don't feel like you have to answer them right away. These are just some questions that maybe will help others who haven't heard your music to become familiar with your own thoughts.

Luke

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 23, 2010, 04:33:16 PM
Now to rest . . . more work tomorrow!

Looking great, Karl! How far to go till the double bar?

(Seeing as we've been on the Sibelius input subject recently - are you going to join the beams on those sets of 4 straight-eighths in b 104-5, where they are split because they cross the 3/2 metre, to make them match the others?)

karlhenning

Quote from: Luke on August 24, 2010, 02:44:15 AM
Looking great, Karl! How far to go till the double bar?

(Seeing as we've been on the Sibelius input subject recently - are you going to join the beams on those sets of 4 straight-eighths in b 104-5, where they are split because they cross the 3/2 metre, to make them match the others?)

They split by default for that reason;  I will join them up . . . no reason not to, I think.

And thanks!  I've got probably 50 mm. yet to cover.

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2010, 07:55:13 PM
A few questions for you, Karl:

1. Have any orchestras commissioned any works from you?
2. Have you composed any symphonies? If yes, then what is your general approach to the symphonic form?
3. Where does your inspiration come from for your music? Are you influenced by nature, the city, philosophy, etc.?
4. Since you play clarinet, how often do you think about the woodwind section, in particular the clarinet, in your music?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these. Don't feel like you have to answer them right away. These are just some questions that maybe will help others who haven't heard your music to become familiar with your own thoughts.

Thank you for your interest!  I'll marshal my thoughts . . . .

Luke

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 24, 2010, 03:51:11 AM
They split by default for that reason;

Yes, I know - Sibelius isn't very context-aware, is it! But you can't have everything

karlhenning

That's a small complaint compared to my experience with Finale!

Anyway, if I'd been on the ball, I'd have joined up those beams as I was inputting those measures : )

Guido

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away