Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlice

karlhenning

karlhenning

I've had word from most of the performers to whom I had initially given 18 May as the St Paul's recital date. (The Cathedral admin has asked me if I can bump to the 19th.) My hope is to put on the first complete performance of Castelo dos anjos ... I know these several crack singers, one of whom is partner unto an intrepid percussionist. And, happier still, my friend Shauna is on board to record the date.

For the rest of the half-hour program, I'm fixin' to write a trio for alto flute (the ever-reliable Peter Bloom), clarinet & (beginner-ish) cello.

Separately ... a new-ish acquaintance is an animator, shortly to be graduated from Mass Art, and we're plotting Henningmusick for a three-minute animation she's working on.

karlhenning

Oh, and I shall need to re-acquaint myself to a degree with Finale . . . I need to transpose Castelo dos anjos up a third, and I think the path of least labor leads to adjusting the present Finale file (though I expect to wreak unwitting mayhem upon the percussion line in the process), rather than creating a fresh document in Sibelius.

karlhenning

I've had an inquiry after Pascha nostrum! The Big Noise version with blistering brass.

Also, after some brass interludes I wrote for the Easter Hymn . . . now, if only I can find those . . . .

mahler10th

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 14, 2011, 02:55:24 PM
Oh, and I shall need to re-acquaint myself to a degree with Finale . . . I need to transpose Castelo dos anjos up a third, and I think the path of least labor leads to adjusting the present Finale file (though I expect to wreak unwitting mayhem upon the percussion line in the process), rather than creating a fresh document in Sibelius.

Good.  As long as you know what you are doing Karl.   ???

karlhenning

Musically, I think so.

As to the mouse-clickage, no knowing, no knowing.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Good luck with the Pittsburgh project, Karl!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Thanks, Johan! One funny addendum is: I was also asked for Flourishes on Easter Hymn for brass quintet and timpani. So, the m.d. has take the time to pore through my site! So far so good.

That little bit of occasional music, though, has lain unused, and who knows in just what form, for twelve years.  In my musical output, it's just a squib, really . . . a brass intro to the hymn, little skirls punctuating the verses . . . but the reason I added it to my "catalogue" is, hey, there must be other church m.d.'s with brass available on Easter Sunday who would find just such a squib of use.

In what form? Well, obviously a Finale file. But where have I put it?  Is there already a PDF file? Probably not, as this was done probably the first year I was using Finale, and I didn't have any PDF utility at the time. &c.

You remember floppy discs?  I've got probably 16 floppies (which with a little organization, I could probably consolidate into a single flash drive, with space to burn) . . . so I am poking through all these floppies last night, hoping (a) that the piece is on one of those discs, and (b) that the floppy disc it is on, is not one of the corrupted discs.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 20, 2011, 05:36:32 AM
You remember floppy discs?  I've got probably 16 floppies (which with a little organization, I could probably consolidate into a single flash drive, with space to burn) . . . so I am poking through all these floppies last night, hoping (a) that the piece is on one of those discs, and (b) that the floppy disc it is on, is not one of the corrupted discs.

When I bought my current computer in 2005, I had a floppy drive installed, for completeness' sake. Whether my floppies are still legible... I hope yours are!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

The odd incomplete bits I am finding astonish me, Johan . . . most of then worthless, I'm sure, but it's an amusing snapshot of a time when I was sort of throwing off sketches by starting a score in Finale.

I did find the disc with the Flourishes on it.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 20, 2011, 06:02:23 AM
I did find the disc with the Flourishes on it.

Good show! Capital! (Immersed in Wodehouse, atm...)

karlhenning

The Flute Fair is tomorrow!  And Mark tells me that he will have not only The Angel... (in both C flute and alto flute guises) but also one of the many variants of Danby, one I scarcely remember, for soprano, flute & organ.  No idea how I came to toss that one together.

Another bit of news, almost completely out of the blue, is that a pianist in New York (formerly in Boston) is planning to include Gaze Transfixt in a concert he is to play this summer.

Meanwhile, I still have to get parts 'extracted' for the Flourishes for the Pittsburgh gig.

karlhenning

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 20, 2011, 06:05:27 AMGood show! Capital! (Immersed in Wodehouse, atm...)

Excellent, Johan! I have a copy of The Girl in Blue, which I've never read before, slated for Henning-immersion . . . .

karlhenning

Well, a mighty "Ouch!" is in order. I just spoke with the lady who had enquired after Pascha nostrum and she is no longer interested in the piece, because the choral writing is (drumroll, please) too easy.

J.Z. Herrenberg

"Ouch!" indeed. What a pity. And the reason given is rather ludicrous. Keep smiling, Karl!

karlhenning

I certainly smiled to find this among some stashed-away papers, Johan!

karlhenning

The Whimsies will go on!

DMC Duo are touring the west coast:

QuoteMarch 19 6 pm at Space for Art in San Diego

March 22 4 pm at the University of San Diego

March 25 7 pm at the Tribal Cafe in Los Angeles

March 31 8 pm at Gallery 1412 in Seattle

And the clarinetist/bass clarinetist just sent me a nice note informing me that Angular Whimsies is definitely on for the tour.