Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Szykneij

Quote from: karlhenning on September 15, 2007, 12:16:42 PM
Working on The Mousetrap today;  I've got the "unison dance" section wrapped up to my satisfaction.

Bravo, Karl! I just got a chance to listen today.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

karlhenning

Thank you all! Still laying in some work on The Mousetrap every day, planning on reaching the Big Double-Bar this Saturday.

In other news . . . .

There is now a chance for even those beyond the Boston pale to listen to some Henningmusick.

The 9 September performance at St Paul's of my Alleluia in D for mixed choir unaccompanied will be part of this week's radio broadcast.  Granted, it is but a four-minute piece and I don't know just where in the half-hour program it will be fitted, but such details as I can furnish, do here follow:

Sunday, 23 September
7:30am (Chowder Time)
WCRB, 99.5 FM Boston
Streaming live on the web at: http://wcrb.com/

Please send them an e-mail message complaining that the composer Henning is not represented in their "Boston's Top 100 Classical Pieces of All Time"!!  8)

Cato

WCRB: the playlist also serves as a way to have you buy the CD from the station!

Does that mean they might want to sponsor a recording of Henningmusik? Maybe you can make them a deal! 

Especially after all the e-mails come in on Sunday demanding more playtime for K.H!     8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on September 20, 2007, 05:09:37 AM

Please send them an e-mail message complaining that the composer Henning is not represented in their "Boston's Top 100 Classical Pieces of All Time"!!  8)
i'm assuming we should do that after the program?
and which piece, specifically- you mean, say that "Allelulia in D" is not in one of Boston's top 100 classical pieces of all time?" i'd be happy to send an e-mail to them.

i'm not sure if i'll get to listen, maybe.... i'd have to get up early and hope my mom gets up in time to turn on the internet, we'll see

karlhenning

Quote from: greg on September 20, 2007, 06:32:53 AM
i'm assuming we should do that after the program?

Oh, I don't think you need wait that long :-)

Quoteand which piece, specifically- you mean, say that "Allelulia in D" is not in one of Boston's top 100 classical pieces of all time?

No, no, I must admit that this would be overselling the merits of this admittedly modest piece, Greg  8)

karlhenning

All right, well . . . I made my way to the final double-bar of The Mousetrap yesterday.  It is such a wayward work (and a "tale that grew in the telling"), that I wanted to 'live with it' a bit, but I think it really is where I want it, and I feel good about the line, the parts, and the sum of the parts.  I will take a couple of days to do some finishing, and then prepare the clarinet and viola parts.  The violist has now heard the 'unison dance' snippet, and his response was very encouraging.

Kullervo

Of course the MIDI file is to the finished piece as the plaster mould is to the marble statue. Looking forward to hearing it, Karl.

karlhenning

karlhenning

Bless the Lord, O My Soul is on for this Sunday, 7 October.

Nuhro has been bumped week, from 4 November to 11 November

If Pete takes to the piece, we may add Steve Hicken's The Rings of Saturn to our 5 December recital program.

karlhenning

The choir sang Bless the Lord, O My Soul very well, indeed, this Sunday past.  But the mics and/or levels were snafued, so while the choir's performance sounds most agreeably sumptuous, it competes (often at a disadvantage) with background noise which recalls "America Drinks and Goes Home" from Absolutely Free.

The good news is, though, that we sang through the piece twice at last night's rehearsal with tape running, and Ed has approved that recording for the airwaves.  The production lag means, though, that we are looking at the broadcast for Sunday the 21st.

karlhenning

It took me a bit more than two hours, and it invoklved 'cheats' on a couple of the bottom right corners, but I've got the clarinet part for The Mousetrap more or less done.

karlhenning

The St Paul's Choir singing my Bless the Lord, O My Soul (informally known within the choir as Bless the Lord, O Henning) for mixed choir unaccompanied will be part of this week's radio broadcast.

Sunday, 21 October
7:30am (Chowder Time)
WCRB, 99.5 FM Boston
Streaming live on the web at: http://wcrb.com/

I spoke with violist Peter Cama-Lekx at choir rehearsal last night, and he does not find anything to object to in The Mousetrap (apart from the piece being neither easy nor brief).  So that's a go.

Last night after choir, I attended a wonderful organ recital at First Lutheran Church in Boston, played by Sietze de Vries.  The bulk of the program was all Baroque, which while it suited the instrument very well, was just a little too monochrome for me.  But the finale to the concert was an improvisation on a given tune, and the tune Sietze was given was Ein' feste Burg.  This was pure delight to witness;  his immersion in the style was manifest in the seamless fluidity of a series of variations, the larger number of them contrapuntal, in contrasting character;  and for someone who only started to work with that instrument the day before, his voicing was expert and varied in a most ear-friendly fashion.  Harry (if you're there), this is a performer you want to make sure to hear when he heads back home!

Harry

Even better my friend I know well his skills, and you are most fortunate to hear him.
:)

karlhenning

The St Paul's Choir singing my Bless the Lord, O My Soul (informally known within the choir as Bless the Lord, O Henning) for mixed choir unaccompanied will be part of this week's radio broadcast.

Sunday, 21 October . . . .

Listening to the radio myself was the first I heard the recording of this reading (from the rehearsal two weeks ago?).  Turned out splendidly;  it is the best document I have heard yet of the piece.

karlhenning

I should resume work on the Passion, I should.  Yet my Muse somehow has tickled my ear with a new other piece, and the thought of getting it down rapidly.  We shall see.  I made sketches on yesterday's and today's bus-rides;  I've settled on a text.  Three soli voices, viola, cello & piano, something quick and bubbly.

Also, the choir may possibly read my unaccompanied setting of the Advent Responsory I Look from Afar at tomorrow night's choir rehearsal.  When I talked with Ed this Sunday past, I sounded him out delicately, and he seems actually to want to put it on;  so I asked if he would mind just having a read of it tomorrow, so it will have been under everyone's eyes at an early stage.

karlhenning

Did no actual composing on the bus this morning, but I revisited at last the substantial chunk of the Passion composed so far.  I've needed this distance from it, and now that I return to it, I'm a little less harsh of it.  I'm going to take a week off in December, and will use that time to finish up the Passion.

For now, it will be enough to find the time to draw the viola part from The Mousetrap, and decide what I want to make of O Rex Gentium.

karlhenning

Tapestry will perform Castelo dos Anjos as part of their "In the Company of Angels" program at 7:30pm, December 1st at Denver's Newman Center for the Performing Arts.