Sonata for piano, Op. 1

Started by rappy, March 18, 2008, 12:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rappy

Hi Guido, JCampbell,

here's a first try. It's full of mistakes (mostly rhythmical), but if you follow the score, you can imagine how it should sound if well-played.  0:)

http://www.dgsp-rheinland-pfalz.de/sonate2satz.mp3

greg

Quote from: Guido on September 18, 2008, 03:49:47 AM
Cheers Rappy... Maybe someone else will record it for you? I really enjoyed listening to your piece last time (and my pianistic skills won't stretch to giving anywhere like a recorgnisable rendition of this new movement!)
Same here. I could probably do the first page, but but I don't think I stand a chance for the rest of it.

After listening to that, as expected, I very VERY much like it! It isn't the most original sounding piece ever (reminds me a lot of the slow movement of Bartok's 1st PC), but it sure hits the spot for me. At first, when I looked at the opening bars being all whole notes, i thought  ::), but that went away as soon as I listened. The only part I'm not sure I liked was at the end, bars 54-56. I could imagine more rests in there to break it up, but, then again, I'm not the composer.  $:) (and that could screw up the following bars).

I want to see the score all in one big pdf, eventually.....

Joe_Campbell

I could probably play it...though that section in the middle wear the melody appears to swap between hands might be tricky! Problem is, I have no recording equipment, and no piano close to my computer :(

(poco) Sforzando

My first suggestion (before I even take it to the piano) is that on page 2 you could provide m.d and m.s. indications to help the player know where to cross hands. Until I play it I can't be sure, but I think it's all practicable. Nonetheless I suspect I'll be bouncing all over the piano bench to get some of those hand-crossings in!
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Guido

Quote from: JCampbell on September 18, 2008, 01:47:40 PM
I could probably play it...though that section in the middle wear the melody appears to swap between hands might be tricky! Problem is, I have no recording equipment, and no piano close to my computer :(

err... rappy just posted a recording of it two posts above yours... its good!

I really like this, and it feels very much a part of the same piece that you composed the movements for before. I would be interested to see other people's comments - Luke's and Sforzando's mainly.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

rappy

Hi,

thanks for the feedback!

QuoteThe only part I'm not sure I liked was at the end, bars 54-56. I could imagine more rests in there to break it up

I'll think over that  0:) Dunno if the ending is good, too. It should be a logical transition to the Allegretto-movement (previous middle movement).

@Sforzando: Yes, that could help. Though I don't think the hand-crossings are difficult at that tempo. I guess measures 26-28 and 49-51 are the most difficult parts if you play it at sight.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: rappy on September 18, 2008, 03:09:50 PM
Hi,

thanks for the feedback!

I'll think over that  0:) Dunno if the ending is good, too. It should be a logical transition to the Allegretto-movement (previous middle movement).

@Sforzando: Yes, that could help. Though I don't think the hand-crossings are difficult at that tempo. I guess measures 26-28 and 49-51 are the most difficult parts if you play it at sight.

Not necessarily difficult, but a courtesy to the performer. Remember that pianists often sight-read through a mound of material to decide what they want to study seriously. They don't need stumbling blocks, and such indications are a proof from you to them that you understand the instrument and have laid out your textures in a practical manner.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Joe_Campbell

Quote from: Guido on September 18, 2008, 02:05:44 PM
err... rappy just posted a recording of it two posts above yours... its good!

I really like this, and it feels very much a part of the same piece that you composed the movements for before. I would be interested to see other people's comments - Luke's and Sforzando's mainly.
Oh yea...whoops...

Still, I still might give it a try. Some of the more, shall we say, "in your face" sonorities didn't come through in the recording like I'm sure rappy would have wanted them to.

Joe_Campbell

a bump...or perhaps just a mild nudge. I, too, am curious to see what the resident composers will offer as insights into this music.

lukeottevanger

This resident composer is at present having enough trouble with his own music! But I'll try to comment on Ralph's latest movement at some point...  :)