Barber of Seville - Rebroadcast at local theatre

Started by stingo, May 16, 2007, 07:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

Saw this Met production (from March 07) at the local theatre last night, and it was a very enjoyable performance. I wish I could remember the performers names, particularly the one who played Figaro (but he reminded me of Newbaum Turk from Hollywood Knights) and Dr. Bartolo. I think Juan Diego Alvarez was Count Almaviva and Joyce DiDonato was Rosina. Everyone was in good voice and the orchestra gave a fine account of itself too. The theatre's sound system sounded a bit tinny to me in the higher octaves but other than that the technical aspect was fine. I'd definitely go see more opera in this venue/format.

As a side note, I'm not sure what the protocol is for when singers finish their arias - the broadcast showed the audience applause so I figured I'd applaud too.

Wendell_E

Quote from: stingo on May 16, 2007, 07:40:40 AM
I wish I could remember the performers names, particularly the one who played Figaro (but he reminded me of Newbaum Turk from Hollywood Knights) and Dr. Bartolo.

From the Met's archives:

March 24, 2007 Matinee Simulcast
Figaro..................Peter Mattei
Rosina..................Joyce DiDonato
Count Almaviva..........Juan Diego Flórez
Dr. Bartolo.............John Del Carlo
Don Basilio.............John Relyea
Berta...................Claudia Waite
Fiorello................Brian Davis
Sergeant................Mark Schowalter
Ambrogio................Rob Besserer

Conductor...............Maurizio Benini

bhodges

Quote from: stingo on May 16, 2007, 07:40:40 AM
As a side note, I'm not sure what the protocol is for when singers finish their arias - the broadcast showed the audience applause so I figured I'd applaud too.

At every single movie theater broadcast I've been to (four, I think) there has been prolonged applause, both during the performance (e.g., after arias) and at the end!

--Bruce

stingo

Quote from: Wendell_E on May 16, 2007, 07:53:43 AM
From the Met's archives:

March 24, 2007 Matinee Simulcast
Figaro..................Peter Mattei
Rosina..................Joyce DiDonato
Count Almaviva..........Juan Diego Flórez
Dr. Bartolo.............John Del Carlo
Don Basilio.............John Relyea
Berta...................Claudia Waite
Fiorello................Brian Davis
Sergeant................Mark Schowalter
Ambrogio................Rob Besserer

Conductor...............Maurizio Benini

Thanks for doing the research - I appreciate it! All were in fine voice that performance. I particularly liked Mattei's take on the duet with Alvarez where Figaro sings about loving money and the Count sings about loving Rosina. Relyea's Dr. Bartolo was excellent as well.

stingo

Quote from: bhodges on May 16, 2007, 08:43:08 AM
At every single movie theater broadcast I've been to (four, I think) there has been prolonged applause, both during the performance (e.g., after arias) and at the end!

--Bruce

Guess the boonies take a different view - very little applause here (though I chimed in).

Wendell_E

No applause at either of the moviecasts I've attended (Puritani and The Last Emperor).  Of course, there were only five people in the theatre at each performance, which is probably why that theatre no longer carries them.  :'(

bhodges

Quote from: Wendell_E on May 16, 2007, 09:07:00 AM
No applause at either of the moviecasts I've attended (Puritani and The Last Emperor).  Of course, there were only five people in the theatre at each performance, which is probably why that theatre no longer carries them.  :'(

I'm shocked -- I heard "most" of the broadcasts were either close to selling out or sold out.  That's a shame... :'(

--Bruce

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: bhodges on May 16, 2007, 09:13:28 AM
I'm shocked -- I heard "most" of the broadcasts were either close to selling out or sold out.  That's a shame... :'(

--Bruce

When I saw Trittico in Westbury, NY, I was fortunate to have found a seat 1/2 hour before start time.

gmstudio

Quote from: bhodges on May 16, 2007, 09:13:28 AM

--Bruce

They ran in two locations here in Cleveland, and both were sold out for Eugene Onegin and Barber.   They've been tremendously popular here. Already looking forward to next season...

CaroNome

Does anyone know if theyre showing "Barber" on PBS again?
I had to miss it  :-[ and I thought I taped it, but apparently I didn't.  :'(
Thanks

~Pace e Gioia~
"A happy woman is one who has no cares at all; a cheerful woman is one who has cares but doesn't let them get her down."
-Beverly Sills

beclemund

Quote from: CaroNome on June 02, 2007, 08:40:47 AMDoes anyone know if theyre showing "Barber" on PBS again?
I had to miss it  :-[ and I thought I taped it, but apparently I didn't.  :'(
Thanks

~Pace e Gioia~

You would have to check on the PBS site here and then your local market area to be sure as the show schedule for local affiliates varies somewhat... click on the "check local listings" link.

"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus