Grieg, alot of it

Started by Harry, May 17, 2007, 05:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

21 cd's 35,00 euro's, you could do much worse. Most of these recordings are very good.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/7385973/rk/classic/rsk/novelties

Florestan

Great!

How about the Naxos series of his piano music with Einar-Steen Nokleberg? Any comments?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

BachQ

I remember reading somewhere that one should avoid "Grieg overdose" . . . . . .

Florestan

Quote from: D Minor on May 17, 2007, 07:06:09 AM

Why?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Harry on May 17, 2007, 05:58:07 AM
21 cd's 35,00 euro's, you could do much worse. Most of these recordings are very good.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/7385973/rk/classic/rsk/novelties

A while ago I saw a similar item (I think it was 24 CDs) on some obscure label of the complete Grieg works on ebay and it sold for about $25. It is NOT the same as the Brilliant set.

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on May 17, 2007, 06:59:36 AM
Great!

How about the Naxos series of his piano music with Einar-Steen Nokleberg? Any comments?

You can buy that without the risk of buying something bad.
Its in my ears the best interpretation of Grieg's piano works.
I have it, and know it.
So say I. :)

Harry

Quote from: D Minor on May 17, 2007, 07:06:09 AM

Only the D minor works my friend. ;D

BorisG

I suppose Peer Gynt, Piano Concerto, and Lyric Pieces are essential.  :-*

Harry

Quote from: BorisG on May 17, 2007, 09:10:07 AM
I suppose Peer Gynt, Piano Concerto, and Lyric Pieces are essential.  :-*

Not forgetting the Symphony my friend.

Whatever, this is a very good bargain, and a smart way to get a overal view of Grieg.

The new erato

No way the symphony is essential. It is an early, student work, and Grieg himself wanted it suppressed.

The essential Grig is the Haugtussa Song Cycle, and the Peer Gynt incidental music. After that, there's the concerto, various other songs and assorted Piano Works, especially the "Slåtter".

Harry

Quote from: erato on May 17, 2007, 09:23:59 AM
No way the symphony is essential. It is an early, student work, and Grieg himself wanted it suppresse

Read a bit more about the history of the symphony, and why Grieg withdrew it?
And what music historians think of it today!

The essential Grig is the Haugtussa Song Cycle, and the Peer Gynt incidental music. After that, there's the concerto, various other songs and assorted Piano Works, especially the "Slåtter".

Its of substantial quality this symphony, so in my view essential.
Haugtussa Song cycle?
Never heard of it.
Pre student work!

The new erato

Haugtussa (the Maid of the Mountain I think in translation) - get the von Otter on DG. I live 10 min from Troldhaugen....I know my Grieg!

Brian

Dang, wish I could buy that box!!  :(  *hopes money will fall out of the sky quickly*

Steen-Nokleberg's brilliant set is not the only Naxos Grieg edition worth investigating: Bjarte Engeset is engaged in an orchestral works edition that has gotten off to a fantabulous start. Disc #3 is due next month, including the Symphony and Old Folksong Variations.

George

Quote from: Florestan on May 17, 2007, 06:59:36 AM
Great!

I have three of the Lyric Pieces CD's by that pianist and they are excellent.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on May 17, 2007, 09:05:56 AM
You can buy that without the risk of buying something bad.
Its in my ears the best interpretation of Grieg's piano works.
I have it, and know it.
So say I. :)

Quote from: George on May 17, 2007, 06:42:11 PM
I have three of the Lyric Pieces CD's by that pianist and they are excellent.  :)

On my wish list with it! :)

Grazioso

Quote from: Harry on May 17, 2007, 09:13:04 AM
Not forgetting the Symphony my friend.

Whatever, this is a very good bargain, and a smart way to get a overal view of Grieg.

His symphony isn't close to essential, unless by "essential" you mean "listenable" :) If you want a lot of Grieg, try

The only drawback to an otherwise great set: no texts :(
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle