Your Top 10 HIP Recordings

Started by Bogey, September 27, 2008, 06:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Any genre goes and how HIP is defined is up to you.  Just wanted to have a thread where one could turn to when considering purchasing HIP recordings instead of digging them out of all the other HIP threads.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Hard to know where to start. Here's one for getting on with:

The last 3 pianoforte sonatas of Beethoven - Paul Komen

Komen is a great performer by any standards, and his Beethoven interpretations are as good as it gets. This is one of those disks where the tone color of the instrument is merely a bonus. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

PerfectWagnerite

Not too many but this is definitely one of them:

Bulldog

Beethoven's Cello Sonatas played by Coin and Cohen on Harmonia Mundi.

mozartsneighbor

10 requires some reflection -- but this just off the top of my head.

Bogey

Quote from: James on September 27, 2008, 09:01:55 AM
i dont think i could come up with 10...but a few that come to mind are..

koopman's brandenburgs

Is this one available James?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: mozartsneighbor on September 27, 2008, 11:17:08 AM

10 requires some reflection -- but this just off the top of my head.

That's not a problem.  Either way they come in works.  What I am doing is choosing ones that I want a first of or another recording for my shelf.  Then I am cross referencing them at Arkiv Music and making an HIP wishlist there.  So, if more come to mind, please post.  Thanks to the efforts so far folks.

Brian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 27, 2008, 06:52:06 AM
Hard to know where to start. Here's one for getting on with:

The last 3 pianoforte sonatas of Beethoven - Paul Komen

Komen is a great performer by any standards, and his Beethoven interpretations are as good as it gets. This is one of those disks where the tone color of the instrument is merely a bonus. :)

8)
I absolutely agree about this recording - a truly amazing disc; my favorite performances of the last three by a wide margin. Putting it on now  :)

I am also a very big fan of the Mozart "Jupiter" Symphonies of Rene Jacobs and John Eliot Gardiner, Roger Norrington's second Beethoven symphony cycle (a hybrid with the SWR Orchestra; HIP style, modern instruments), and Das Neue Orchester's performance of the Kalliwoda Symphony No 5 under Christoph Spering, a ground-breaking/revelatory CD if there ever was one.

david johnson

Que

Quote from: Bogey on September 27, 2008, 06:44:32 AM
Any genre goes and how HIP is defined is up to you.  Just wanted to have a thread where one could turn to when considering purchasing HIP recordings instead of digging them out of all the other HIP threads.

Bill, Bill, that's a (very) though one! :D

Since I consider HIP for Medieveal, Renaissance and Baroque music simply the standard, I will only mention HIP recordings that "compete" with non-HIP.

What comes to mind right now (I'll post another list later... ;D ;)) and in random order:
1. LvB - cello sonatas by Bijlsma/ Van Immerseel (Sony)
2. LvB - piano trios nos. 3 & 5 by Staier/Sepec/Queras (HM)
3. LvB - three last piano sonatas by Paul Komen (Globe)
4. Mozart/Brahms - clarinet quintets by Jean-Claude Veilhan/ Quintette Stadler (K617)
5. Haydn - masses by Bruno Weil (Sony)
6. Schubert - piano trios by ensemble La Gaia Scienza (Winter & Winter)
7. Mozart - concertos with fortepiano by Jos van Immerseel/ Anima Eterna (Channel Classics)  ;)
8. Mozart - Great Mass in C minor by Hogwood (Decca)
9. Haydn - string quartets by the Festetics Quartet (Arcana)
10. Schubert - piano sonatas D960 & D946 by Van Immerseel (Northwest Classics)

Q

adamdavid80

Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: adamdavid80 on September 28, 2008, 05:28:43 PM
No Bilson or Staier?   ???

They both work very well for me, especially Staier. His Dussek sonatas are especially nice, as well as his Beethoven Sonatas and Trios with Sepec and Queyras. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
BPO / von Karajan - Korsakov Symphonic Suite "Scheherezade" Op 35 Pt 1
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mozartsneighbor

Que

Quote from: adamdavid80 on September 28, 2008, 05:28:43 PM
No Bilson or Staier?   ???

I'm not big on Bilson, but Staier is a favourite of mine. :)
I could easily have mentioned his Schubert - which is absolutely superb - and his Mozart piano concertos (the few that he has recorded). The Haydn is still on my wish list. 8)

I would have liked a complete Mozart concertos cycle and a complete Schubert pianoworks with him! Unfortunately Warner (Teldec) ditched him when the CD market slowed down - a very, very stupid decision.  :P

Q

mozartsneighbor

Quote from: Que on September 29, 2008, 09:08:22 AM
Unfortunately Warner (Teldec) ditched him when the CD market slowed down - a very, very stupid decision.  :P

Q

Fortunately, he seems to be recording quite a bit for Harmonia Mundi now, so we can still can look forward to a lot from him.

Grazioso

I don't know about my top 10, but here are a couple I quite enjoy:

Wispelwey's Haydn cello concerti:

The Nepomuk Fortepiano Quintet playing works by Hummel, Dussek, and Onslow:

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

mozartsneighbor

Quote from: Grazioso on September 30, 2008, 04:30:11 AM
I don't know about my top 10, but here are a couple I quite enjoy:

Wispelwey's Haydn cello concerti:

Agreed, Wispelwey's Haydn cello concerti are stunning.

MishaK

I won't make a top 10 list, but among my absolute favorite HIP recordings are:

1. Brandenburg Concertos - Il Giardino Armonico - Teldec
2. Il ritorno di Ullisse in patria - William Christie, les Arts Florissants - Virgin DVD (had the pleasure of seeing this production live in Brooklyn)
3. Viaggio musicale; Musica Italiana del Seicento - Il Giardino Armonico - Teldec
Haydn Symphonies - Sigiswald Kuijken, La Petite Bande/Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment - Virgin

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: O Mensch on September 30, 2008, 04:36:27 PM
2. Il ritorno di Ullisse in patria - William Christie, les Arts Florissants - Virgin DVD (had the pleasure of seeing this production live in Brooklyn)

An absolutely fantastic experience. Did you get to all three? As a production, I thought this was the highlight of the series.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

MishaK

Quote from: Sforzando on October 01, 2008, 04:23:44 AM
An absolutely fantastic experience. Did you get to all three? As a production, I thought this was the highlight of the series.

Yes, I saw all three and I agree. The Ulisse was the best. I did not like the Pierre Audi production of Poppea with Les Talens lyriques.